Recs to jazz up my eyeshadow collection

JoeyEmma

I'm NC25 with dark brown eyes and dark brown hair. I have a feeling that I'm quite a pale NC25 as I always feel like I look washed out, although NC20 is too light for me, if that makes sense.

I'm trying to build up my eyeshadow collection and was wondering if I was missing out on any essentials for my colouring.

So far I have
  1. Shroom (x3- don't ask how I ended up with so many!)
  2. Malt
  3. Bagatelle (on the last crumbling bits and desperate not to finish the thing off as I love the colour so much)
  4. Honey lust
  5. Carbon
  6. Satin taupe
  7. Steamy (which I don't use that much as I'm not mad keen on it)
  8. The set of 6 shadows that came out at Christmas that came in the black lace compact- I love Woodwinked the best from the set)
  9. Shimma (paint)
  10. Golden olive (pigment)
  11. Sharksin (shadestick)
I bought Cosmic the other month, however I haven't actually started it and don't plan on doing so as I realised I'm not that keen on the colour. Plus, I lost my receipt so can't take it back. I'm going to flog it on ebay (I don't have enough posts on here to use the swap board, plus I doubt there are many UK users).

I tend to go for more natural makeup, I'm not skilled in doing fancy 6 colour shadow eyes (if that makes sense).

I feel stuck in a rut, suggest some more shadows for me

Ithica

Oohh Im an nc25, brown hair, brown eyes also. I actually think greens are the best colour for me.

Some things I cant live without are juxt,humid, Vanilla pigment (great highligher) or I also think purples so my skin colour well, I often do a digi es/ violet pig/ and extramauve (l/e) but you could find a nice alt for extramauve. I also use electrolady e/l with it. OR try using your shimma paint with something like plumb pig
greengrin.gif

Didn't read about the minimalistic combos, sorry XD I like shroom with either espresso or concrete, a nice natural skokey look also!

HTH

lethaldesign

I'm a NC25 in the SFF, but its kind of orange on me &I don't really like liquid foundations. NC20 is too light though. C3 in the Studio Fix compact works best for me (so if you are looking for an alternative for your skin, maybe try that?). I have medium brown hair & green eyes. I find that purples, greens, and golds/browns/taupes look the best on me. I would imagine the same for you.

The best green you can EVER buy is Humid e/s, its a deep green with excellent color payoff & great to use in the crease, outer V, or even as a liner. I use it often with Juxt e/s which is a very light green, but with equally great color payoff as Humid. (Just realized this is EXACTLY what Ithica wrote, lol) But this is my favorite green eyed combo. I usually use Shroom, Retrospeck or Nylon as a highlight with greens.

Cosmic is actually a very pretty gold color that does have a tint of orange to it, you just need to blend it with the right colors. In fact, one of my current FAVE combos has Cosmic, Firespot (or Off the Radar pig), and Goldmine. Its a very summer-y look.

My purple e/s staples are Trax (which some people HATE but I find it to be the perfect purple as long as its not worn all over the lid), Satellite Dreams, & Digit.

Mulch is a great brown color as well.

HTH!

JoeyEmma

Every time I try purples I look like I've been in a fight and have got two black eyes!

So, we are thinking humid and possibly retrospeck or nylon.

The foundation hints are a good idea. Back in the day (about 10 years ago, I always used to be C3, but then they replaced them all with NCs and all the other funny shades)

Good suggestions so far, keep em coming! Thank you

lethaldesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyEmma
Every time I try purples I look like I've been in a fight and have got two black eyes!

The foundation hints are a good idea. Back in the day (about 10 years ago, I always used to be C3, but then they replaced them all with NCs and all the other funny shades)

MAC only makes C3 in the compacts, not the liquids. So if you are willing to try the powder foundations, give C3 a shot! All of the MAC liquid shades look kinda "off" on my skin for some.

Yeah you have to be careful with purples. In some cases, less is more &I think purples are one of them. Maybe try a lavendar or lilac shade with a darker purple only in the outer V or crease... it won't be as dramatic as doing an all-over the lid wash of dark purple.

KTB

Humid is a great colour and so is Nylon. I'm an NW20/NW25 and love them.

Steamy is a really nice colour but might a take a bit of getting used to. I like it paired with Deep Truth or Flashtrack - I have both but can never remember which one I used.

I had a lot of reccomendations for Mulch and Bronze and am so happy with them. I realize we have different colouring but they're gorgeous neutrals with a little oomph. If that makes
sense.

My step-daughter is similar in colouring to you so when we make our trip to MAC on Saturday I'll let you know what they suggest for her there
smiles.gif

JoeyEmma

I just got Humid off ebay for £5.99 inc P&P. Buying it at the counter costs £10, so I'm delighted!

La Ilusion

Quote:

How about trying a lighter, pinkier (but still bold) purple? Something like Stars N' Rockets might do the trick.

kashleigh80

I agree with a lot of the green recs. I'm going to buy Humid soon as well. But for the past few years I have been in love with Greensmoke. It's so underappreciated! It has such a wonderful shimmer to it and is like a deep forest green. You can layer if for a smokey look or use it lightly for a little shimmery color to it. I love it and ALWAYS get compliments when I wear it
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

The best way to get yourself out of a makeup rut without spending money is just play with different combinations of what you already own. Randomly select two different colors and see what it looks like. Some of the best combinations I've done came that way.

JoeyEmma

Thanks to all of you who recommended Humid! I love it!

It looks fab with shroom as a highlighter and a little bit of (newly pressed!) golden olive pigment over it!

lethaldesign

Quote:
Thanks to all of you who recommended Humid! I love it!

It looks fab with shroom as a highlighter and a little bit of (newly pressed!) golden olive pigment over it!

Yay! Glad you love it
smiles.gif