repairing es with alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugmommy7

can anyone post a quick instruction for doing this?
I know it has been discussed here before but my board serches have yeilded nothing
ssad.gif
Thanks in advance.
Love,
Jennifer

labwom

I wanted to post the same thing. I also did a search and it was no help at all. I do remember someone posting a tutuorial on how to do it and I would love to see that again cause I can't remember exactly how much alcohol to use!

MACActress

It's kinda like pressing pigments, so if you look for one of those tutorials?

Here's my summary:
Put all the e/s in a pan, and keep adding alcohol until it reaches about a soupy consistency with all the shadow. If you still have most of the eyeshadow, than the mixture will overflow from the pan, and you will probably lose some product. If you use too much alcohol, you will lose a little product, but no harm is done b/c it will just take longer to evaporate. When you have your mixture wait for it to be mostly dry, and then take some fabric and a quarter (old fabric, b/c the pigment will dye it) and press down. You can repress it many times after that without any difference as well. Then just wait for it to completely dry (it will no longer smell like alcohol) and you're done =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACActress
It's kinda like pressing pigments, so if you look for one of those tutorials?

Here's my summary:
Put all the e/s in a pan, and keep adding alcohol until it reaches about a soupy consistency with all the shadow. If you still have most of the eyeshadow, than the mixture will overflow from the pan, and you will probably lose some product. If you use too much alcohol, you will lose a little product, but no harm is done b/c it will just take longer to evaporate. When you have your mixture wait for it to be mostly dry, and then take some fabric and a quarter (old fabric, b/c the pigment will dye it) and press down. You can repress it many times after that without any difference as well. Then just wait for it to completely dry (it will no longer smell like alcohol) and you're done =)

this really helps a lot! now i'm off to go and try it out =)

Prismique

I have to do this with my broken Cranberry! I keep forgetting to get alcohol.

Thanks for the information.
smiles.gif

lsperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismique
I have to do this with my broken Cranberry! I keep forgetting to get alcohol.

Thanks for the information.
smiles.gif

If you have Fix+, it works too. I re-pressed five broken shadows using this stuff and it works just as well as the alcohol!

MisStarrlight

Just make sure to "crush" your broken shadow into a fine powder first...if it's still in pieces your re-pressed shadow will be much more difficult to make smooth again.

hull_d

I wish I'd known how do do this a while ago when I dropped my Jest eyeshadow on a tiled floor. I tried to use the pieces for a while but it became a crumbley mess so I finally binned it and bought a new one
ssad.gif

Good luck with repairing yours.

lsperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
Just make sure to "crush" your broken shadow into a fine powder first...if it's still in pieces your re-pressed shadow will be much more difficult to make smooth again.

Nope, you don't have to crush it. I removed the tin and broken shadow from the pot [one of the 5 shadows I repaired wasn't even broken at all; It just separated from the pot]. Then used an eye dropper to add Fix+ to it [I did not add so much Fix+ that it made it soupy; just enough to wet it.] And once it had set for a couple of hours, I placed the fabric and quarters on top of it and placed it in my flower press and pressed it. My eye shadows are perfect now. I can't tell which ones I dropped and broke!

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsperry
Nope, you don't have to crush it. I removed the tin and broken shadow from the pot [one of the 5 shadows I repaired wasn't even broken at all; It just separated from the pot]. Then used an eye dropper to add Fix+ to it [I did not add so much Fix+ that it made it soupy; just enough to wet it.] And once it had set for a couple of hours, I placed the fabric and quarters on top of it and placed it in my flower press and pressed it. My eye shadows are perfect now. I can't tell which ones I dropped and broke!

Meh, my Suspicion (had a depotting accident) looked like a mini mountain ranges...that was the only one I quick fixed & didn't crush down like I normally do...those ones look perfect.

mzreyes

i'll try with fix+.. I hope this will work for velvet moss! I just had my first depotting accident. lol. as soon as it happened, I cleaned everything up and ran straight to my computer to search specktra. hahahah.. thanks all!

mkupsusie

You have to use 99% alcohol if you want the best result. Just be sure to use it after the alcohol has evaporated and no scent left. This tip I got from my makeup instructor in a workshop. If you use less concentrated alcohol there are already other chemicals, perfume added to it hence not as effective.

kk-skinny

i just repaired mine and it looks awesome
greengrin.gif
well.. not really haha but i made a new one, and its like a purple with a gold tint and i suppose it could almost be brown.. but its really pretty when you put it on.

frocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by madamepink78
Will this work for blush as well?

I think it will work for all powder products.

Status
Not open for further replies.