salary expectations at a counter?

miinx

Hi guys and gals - i just had a really quick question.

I live in maryland and I am a md licensed makeup artist. I have about 5 years experience in customer service, however not retail. However to reiterate, I *am* licensed and trained by the md state board of cosmetology for makeup artistry.

Given these factors, how much should I expect when applying as a beauty advisor at a department store counter like macys/nordstroms/etc? At free standing stores like mac/merle norman?

I'm really at a loss as to what to ask for - my teacher said that as a licensed mua in maryland you should be expecting no less than $12/hr because so many applicants wont be licensed, but i'm not so sure.. after all, it is retail.

giz2000

Here's my understanding (keep in mind that I am in FL and you do not need to be licensed here to be a make up artist)...depending on the store you go to, the line and the position you apply for, you can make anywhere from $12.00 to $25.00/hour. I have a friend who is a mua for Bobbi Brown (she is the in-house artist at a Saks) and makes around $24.00/hr. She is not licensed at all. There are other mua's that work for other lines where the average is $16-28/hour. I hope this isn't confusing, and that you found it useful...I kinda confused myself a little...
rofl.gif

circusflavouredgum

It's the same here in L.A., it can be anywhere from about $14-18 in the department stores plus 2 or 3% comission...MAC was higher than that but no comission depending on what store you work in.

I have a friend who is a resident artist at Neiman Marcus and it pays $25 an hour.

You don't need to be licensed here either, that is just average pay per hour. We have lot of licensed makeup artists and aestheticians in my store who don't have much retail experience and they make slightly less than the people with more retail experience and no license. It retail your pay normally depends on how much you can sell and not necessarily your qualifications and training.

miinx

Thanks for the help guys.
smiles.gif
I've heard varying stories from people who claim thats its "just another retail job" and you shouldnt expect anymore than if you were working at the gap, which i wasnt really sold on given the requirements in maryland.

In the state of maryland we have a specific license for makeup artists, separate from nail tech/cosmetology/esthetics [though cosmetologists and estheticians licenses also encompass MUA duties in md]. A license is required to apply makeup to the general public, particularly if you are charging for makeovers. Alot of stores will send you through the training program to meet the requirements for a md mua license if you are hired and not licensed, though alot of high traffic counters wont even give you the time of day if you apply unlicensed.

missmarkers

i worked for a dept store and made pretty good hourly ($14.00) without any sort of license and just makeup experience as far as doing some fashion shows and print for my friend who was a fashion designer.

most places really don't require a license for you to work at a counter. i honestly don't know any place that requires it of you. and as for school, yes there is color practice/theory. but it's mostly things like....skincare, makeup, fragrance (if the line carries all of it) and how you incorporate sales techniques into your product knowledge. counters/stores are a lot more retail than you'd think.

Bernadette

When I worked at Nordstrom, part-time for Clinique I had no makeup experience but a lot of retail experience, I started at $11.50 an hour with 3% commision. At Nordstrom your pay is determined by both Nordstrom and the cosmetic line you are working for. At least that's how it was about two years ago when I worked there.
God I hated working for Clinique.

kimmy

the pay is pretty good at most makeup counters in department stores, but keep in mind most counters won't offer you a 40 hour work week
winks.gif

darkbeauty27

I know this is a really old thread, but does anyone know what the starting pay would be for a counter position at Macy's in Dallas, TX? I have about 2 years of cosmetics retail experience (Estee Lauder at Dillard's) and about 4 years of sales experience (outside sales & inside sales - most of it being with beauty companies, but not those sold at Macy's). I've never worked for Macy's before so I don't know what they are like paywise. Do you have any recommendations on what I should I ask for? Thanks!
smiles.gif