Sales Bootcamp: everything you've always wanted to know about selling

lara

Sales Bootcamp: everything you've always wanted to know about selling but were too afraid to ask.
This is the ultimate one-stop question and answer shop for you to ask every question you've ever had about selling, demoing, handling customer complaints, handling staff issues, juggling clients, dealing with holiday pressure, and anything else you can possibly think of.

So how are we going to do this thing?
Easy-peasy - just write out your question below and I'll endeavor to have a solution or idea to you as soon as possible. Please use some common sense and avoid naming your employer (and co-workers!) unless it's absolutely relevant to your question. If you say 'an American multi-brand cosmetics retailer', trust me, I'll know what you're referring to.

I can answer someone's question! Can I do that?
Of course, the more input the better. Please, please give a moment to think about whether your input is going to be useful and correct, this isn't the place for deliberately dumb answers.

Go ahead and ask away!

----------
A quick background to explain why I'm more than qualified to answer these questions: cosmetics retail was my first job where I wasn't self-employed, and I fast-tracked from a baby 5 hours-per-week casual to management of the premier flagship counter in an ultra-busy CBD department store location (average foot traffic across the door per day during quiet times was 7,000 people, peaking at 25-35,000 during Christmas crush and higher during key sales) in just over a year, and was promoted to manager not long after that. I have been understaffed, overstaffed, weathered total store renovations, unfortunate sales spaces, the worst Christmas sales period in nearly 20 years, you name it.
I cultivated customer relationships where the average first experience spend was $140, and my ultra-special customers dropped an average of between $400 and $1,250 per docket. I also had the quiet privilege of having one of the lowest return rates in the company, a very hard goal to achieve in cosmetics retail.
I've managed and worked at locations ranging from boutique stand-alone stores to a department store counter where were thought it was an amazing Monday if we cleared $500 in sales. I know the glories of having a five figure day, and I also know the gut-wrenching worry of a day where we made exactly zero dollars.
I have on-paper sales education as well through sales education and training groups, with particular focus on customer care and sales development, and the holy grail of management-focused staff training and skill development that is both empathetic and results-driven.

This isn't me writing a partial resume to show off, but rather to demonstrate that whatever your question or experience is, I've been there too and I've either resolved it myself, or been there when someone with more experience has resolved it. As those of you who have been reading this subforum for a while would know, I've written a lot of guides about hard and soft closes, dealing with difficult customers, handling conflict resolution between clients and staff, value-adding sales, how to handle complaints gracefully, minimizing returns, product presentation... you name it, I've answered it!

Whatever your question or issue is, please type it out and I will do my best to answer it or consult with someone to get the best answer to you. There is a wealth of experience here, and I want to share it with everyone instead of keeping it locked away.

lyttleravyn

I've been in retail for a while, but I just started at a makeup counter where I have individual goals for each day. I had my first day and I had a couple people who seemed really interested and liked what I was showing them, but I got a few who would leave saying they wanted to think about it, ask their husbands, etc. Is there any way I can turn those customers around into a sale that day?

Also I had a few customers who were looking for something 'new' but even when I showed them very small steps away from what they were used to, they weren't happy. For example: a woman came in who had always worn the same lipstick (a very dark purple) which flattered her. However she had recently gotten a new haircut and color and wanted a different lipstick to go with her hair. I tried to stay with darker tones since they looked nice on her, but no matter what we tried she just couldn't look in the mirror and see herself wearing something else. She ended up buying another tube of her regular lipstick and liner. So I made a sale, but I still felt as if I could have helped her more. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttleravyn
I've been in retail for a while, but I just started at a makeup counter where I have individual goals for each day. I had my first day and I had a couple people who seemed really interested and liked what I was showing them, but I got a few who would leave saying they wanted to think about it, ask their husbands, etc. Is there any way I can turn those customers around into a sale that day?

Also I had a few customers who were looking for something 'new' but even when I showed them very small steps away from what they were used to, they weren't happy. For example: a woman came in who had always worn the same lipstick (a very dark purple) which flattered her. However she had recently gotten a new haircut and color and wanted a different lipstick to go with her hair. I tried to stay with darker tones since they looked nice on her, but no matter what we tried she just couldn't look in the mirror and see herself wearing something else. She ended up buying another tube of her regular lipstick and liner. So I made a sale, but I still felt as if I could have helped her more. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

i always ask them if they want to surprise their hubby or whoever - you could say 'why not surprise your husband with this lipstick? it really looks fabulous!' or if their friend or who ever is shopping in a different store then you could say to bring them in later in the day to have a look for themselves.

but sometimes you just won't be able to convert the customer. so i always write down on some paper what products i reccomend for them so they'll be able to hand it over for next time. plus because they have a written reminder it makes it more likely they'll come back
smiles.gif

lara

Quote:

General rule of thumb is when someone says that they want to think about it or they need a second opinion is that you probably haven't really zeroed in to the customer's needs and wants, or they haven't been connected to the product enough on a personal level. In MAC language it's called the e-layer, but I know it as FAB (feature, advantage, benefit). Basically it's emotionally connecting someone to a product to the level where they're envisioning wearing it in their day to day life, or where it would fit on their bathroom counter and how they're going to be complimented when they wear their brand new lipstick. It's not emotionally blackmailing someone or guilting them into a purchase - if you don't purchase this primer you're going to look like a hot mess and everyone will laugh at you - but rather gently guiding them into realising how much of a boon this product is going to be to them, how it will make her other products last longer/work better/be prettier.

I can't express enough how important it is to really find out what a customer wants beyond the superficial level. "I want a red lipstick" is never just that - it's that they feel confident when they're wearing red, or their husband goes wild when she wears it, or red is her go-to colour when she's having a bad day, or a million other reasons. Once you know that little bit more information, you can really help that person out and eradicate nearly every concern they might have that requires them to think about it or makes them seek out a second opinion.

Having said all of that however, some people really genuinely do want to think overnight about a product or trust their girlfriend's judgement implicitly. In that case you grab a customer card, write down the product name, colour and price, sign your name at the bottom and give it to them without any pressure or demands that they return and have to buy it from you. If you're relaxed and actually care that they're going to be happy with their product, you'd be surprised how many people will come back and seek you out specifically.

Quote:

Some people just don't like change, period.
She bought a product so that's your victory, but all you really can do is accept it with good grace and wink and tell her that she has great taste. I'd also offer to jot down any other colours that she was umming and ahhing over in case she decides in a few days that, hey, maybe she could wear berry red after all.
If you don't get frustrated and take it with good humour, then that customer is likely to form some sort of relationship with you. She might only buy dark plum lipstick until the day she dies, but she'll buy it from you.

lara

CLOSING A SALE

There are two parts to closing a sale - soft and hard closes.
Soft closes are those little affirmations and confirmations you do throughout a consultation that help you to a.) gauge that you're staying on track with a customer, and b.) feel out that subtle difference between something they like but they're not committed to, and something they like and want.
A hard close is that final question where you basically ask, "so what do you want to get today?". I wouldn't phrase it quite like that, but that's basically the meat of what you're doing. Yes, it feels pushy if you've never done it before or if you're a shy person, but you need to ask for that sale and you basically need to give permission to your customer that yes, it's now time for them to buy buy buy!

Say you're demoing a red lipstick and you've reached a point where you can feel that the customer is hooked on the lipliner and lipstick you've chosen, but you need to get that locked in before you move to complimentary items.
Sales Associate: "So the red lipstick and lipliner is a winner then?"
Customer: "Oh yes, it's exactly what I was looking for!"
SA: "Excellent, we'll put that with the must-have pile then! You know, I think you could pull of a real Old Hollywood glamour look with that lipstick - stay right there, I have a shimmer mascara that I'd love to try on you."​
See the pattern? Ask the question, the customer confirms it, you confirm it right back to them and you move onto the next thing smoothly.

The magic trick about closing is that if you do all your soft closes properly, the hard close becomes ridiculously easy to do. Because you've spent so much time subtly confirming over and over again, you know exactly what the customer whats and that they're going to take it. You just need to confidently line up those products neatly, remind the customer how and where each product was used and basically go 'so what am I going to get for you and do you have a customer loyalty card?'

(Taken from my answer to another post: 'Closing the sale.... what do you do?')

lara

PRESENTING PRODUCTS
How to quickly and easily present items to a customer at the end of a sale.

Something that is going to help is if you keep your demo area immaculate - tissues, buds and cotton pads straight into the bin of course, but as you're soft-closing everything and you get a positive response to an item, quickly and smoothly get all the rejected products out of sight without being obvious about it. The less visual clutter, the easier it is for your customer to connect and remember the products. Make-overs and demos can be very information overload, so the easier you make it the better.

Look around your demo station and see if there are a few shallow unlocked drawers within easy reaching distance. Clear out any junk that's in a drawer, line it with paper towel and use that as your rejected product drawer. Once you've finished the sale and are cleaning and prepping your demo area you can quickly return the rejected products back to display.

Get into the habit of keeping products lined up in a.) general order of application (if for a make-over) or b.) customer's first product requested, then all products you've linked (i.e. liquid foundation first, then primer, powder, blush, m/up wipes, etc). Efficient, logical, easy for someone to pick products from
smiles.gif

lara

DEALING WITH KPIs - PART ONE

AUS (Average Unit Sale) is a measure of your customer service - like UPT/IPT, it's a strong indicator that you've been focusing on your customer service because it's nearly impossible to get good sales KPIs if you're not putting in any effort. There's the rare exception to the rule, but how often do you get someone drop $600 in 15 units without you giving any assistance?
People can and do make budget with incredibly low AUS figures, but all that tells me is that they're efficient at making lots of small low dollar sales but that they have little customer interaction beyond making token suggestions and pulling product. Frankly that sort of service doesn't give you dedicated return customers who like you, trust you and want to shop with you.

Building your AUS
  • Work on your FAB statements and/or E-layers. That's an immediate AUS booster because you can connect people to more expensive items and get them emotionally tied to the product. You can also link your items together more easily and fan that need/want desire in your customer.
  • Show most expensive items first.
  • Focus on sell-through of LE items alongside your basic products so you can use the carrot of exclusive, limited edition products to further add to the sale.
  • Are you driving your skincare sales? Working skincare into every m/up sale can make your AUS jump really quickly, even if it's just Stobe Cream. Skincare is also a return business product, so if you put in the hard yards now you'll reap the benefits next month.
  • Do you guys do much purpose-finding activities at work, i.e. finding out the customers needs and wants beyond 'I want a red lipstick'?
    I want a red lipstick > I want a red lipstick to wear on my date tonight > I want a red lipstick to wear on my date tonight because I want to look really vampy and sexy > I want to look vampy and sexy because this is our third date and I'm going to get laid tonight*.
  • Using your opened ended, who/what/when/where/how questions to pull out more information can give you the best tools for suggesting relevant products, plus it lets you build really good rapport and trust.
  • Soft closes. Love them. Keep soft closing until the customer is whipped into a frenzy of make-up lust, and tie your soft closes into product links.

Wind it back, try to ignore the pressure to hit all your KPIs (impossible sometimes, I know) and go back to focusing on your salescraft. If you're warm, knowledgeable, ask all the right questions and are confident in your products and suggestions, your AUS and UPT/IPT will tick up and you'll score more repeat business. Customers smell desperation, remember.

* This was a real purpose that I've found from a customer - I linked the red lipstick to lipliner (the obvious link) and then to individual lashes to frame her eyes and a soft grey liner to tightline her upper lashes, make-up wipes so she can discreetly remove her make-up so she wouldn't look like a scary panda in the morning, and an illuminating cream so she'd look radiant and glowing when she left his house in the morning
winks.gif

(Taken from my answer to another post: 'AUS advice anyone?')

sweetbabyblue

Hi Lara!
Just wondering from your suggestion:
Do you guys do much purpose-finding activities at work, i.e. finding out the customers needs and wants beyond 'I want a red lipstick'?
I want a red lipstick > I want a red lipstick to wear on my date tonight > I want a red lipstick to wear on my date tonight because I want to look really vampy and sexy > I want to look vampy and sexy because this is our third date and I'm going to get laid tonight*.

How do you coax that sort of information from a customer?

Sometimes I feel like I could have shown some great products to customers, but what can you do if they just come in and say 'I want this' and look like that just want to pay and run out of there? I really wish I could make a connection with all my customers but many are just determined to shut me out because they think I'm going to try to talk them into something?

Poutie

I am loving this post, thanks so much! I have two questions, I work for a TS company, in a cosmetics dept full of other TS companies, so we are all fighting for business. Sometimes the "Have you heard of *insert brand here*? Would you like to try *insert brand here* today? doesn't cut it. Have you any advice for effective traffic stopping techniques?

Also, on a quiet day, when we are all struggling to hit our targets, have you any advice to motivate a team and get the counter active again? We have tried a lucky dip scenario to try and get people to either sit down or book in for another day, but that can be hit and miss at best. We are a new counter, so we are fighting for our place in the dept!

Thanks in advance

AshleyMari

I haven't started but my biggest concern is add on items.
I know I get super annoyed when I go into MAC for concealer and they TRY to sell me something else.
It seems so forced and I know what they're doing (probably because I have a sales background) whats a more ..
warm and friendly way to add on items outside of the cliche "you know what goes great with concealer... foundation!"

Thanks MAC lady... I didn't know that. :|