Self-tanning beginner - help please :/

luvsic

Hey everyone,

After browsing some of the categories on the subject, I still have a bunch of questions about tanning and self-tanning.

I know there's no such thing as a safe tan, but since it's summer I lay out with my friends for maybe 30-40 minutes 2 times a week in the sun - I don't go to beds AT ALL however and never well, and take all the precautions like moisturizing and using sunscreen to minimize the damage). However, maintenance is the hardest part of tanning and I know I'm going to lose this tan when I have to kiss summer goodbye, yet I am a total beginner when it comes to self-tanning and I need some help please!!

If it helps, I am not that pale, I am Asian and I would guess i have a light-medium skin tone with yellow undertones.

1) I have looked up two rather cheap products I want to try - Vaseline Healthy Body Glow Daily Replenishing Moisturizer and a Touch of Self-tanner and also Banana Boat Sunless Summer Color Tinted Lotion. Both can be found in the drugstore from what I've heard. However, can these only be applied to the body, or can I apply them to the face as well?

2) What are some good self-tanners for the face? I am Asian and a not too dark skinned, but not too light skinned as well. How can I apply them without making my face look a different color from my body? Specially if they are different brands....

3) Tan maintenance - I don't know it! When you apply self-tanners, do you keep on applying them daily? For the brands I want to get, I don't think the color shows up instantly. I don't just want to keep on applying the tan and then end up looking baked! What is the process for this? I seriously have no clue what to do - apply the self-tanner and for the color to come, then not apply it for the next few days, if I'm allowed to shower in it, etc.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! TY so much!

Brittni

However, can these only be applied to the body, or can I apply them to the face as well?

You can use them for your face too - but with caution. It's best to dilute them with some moisturizer. But yes, it's totally fine to.

2) What are some good self-tanners for the face? Specially if they are different brands....

I'd stick with the same brand.

When you apply self-tanners, do you keep on applying them daily?

No. You can get tan extenders or special lotions (check Xen Tan, google it) that help extend it. You usually apply it once a week but just make sure you do regular moisturizing daily. And yes, you can shower. But, it just dyes the top layer of your skin so as your skin sheds you have to keep doing the tan hence why you need to apply about once a week.

fingie

I don't know how much help this will be, but I say if you're new at it then start with one of those tanner/moisturizer combos (I think Jergens makes one?..) that are a little slower to show up (you apply every day until you get to the color you like, then maybe every other day after that or whatever is necessary to keep the color) because they are a little more "fool proof" and you don't have to worry about streaks/too much color on knees&ankles/etc.

As for facial sunless tanners, I use one by Neutrogena and really like it. For my body (and its not the moisturizer/tanner combo) I really like L'oreal Sublime.
smiles.gif
HTH somehow!

SkylarV217

Nuetragena makes a great line of self tanners... They have the arisole kind as well as foams and lotions.... they make a great face lotion as well ! It helps to exfoliate your skin really well before you self tan ! That way you skin is even. Then you won't get streaks and such !

luvsic

Thanks for all of the tips guys! I was actually thinking of Victoria's Secret Barely Bronze collection...have any of you guys tried that?

xsnowwhite

I've never tried it, but i really want to! it has great reviews on makeup alley. I saw them for $10 at one point and now i really regret not buying one!

Sexya(TM)?Princess

ive tried a few and have a natural medium golden skintone. i buy them in ''dark''.

i think banana boat and bain de soliel are the best for drugstores.

make sure u also get a good reg. body lotion and a scrub becuz u want super smooth skin to apply the tanner over or u will streak/splotch.

after u shower and u use ur scrub, apply a reg.body lotion first, then apply ur self-tan on top. its like painting over a really smooth surface then. the color will look sooo creamy an nice.

then apply ur reg. body lotion daily to extend ur tan/keep it smooth and u should be able to only need a reapplication about once every 4 days.

u can shower in it too. just only use a scrub on ur reapplication days becuz then ull end up scrubbing alot of it off.