Sharskin or Blackground?

Karen_B

I have been thinking about getting a black base for some fun looks, especially for smokey eyes this would be practical. But I am unsure which is the best base. I know many people like Sharkskin shadestick, is this better than Blackground paint pot? What would be your recommendation?

GlamYOURUs

I don't have either but I love paintpots a lot more than shadesticks imo only because they blend better. I have a hard time applying shadesticks on my lid, it hurts by the time I am done. lol

Karen_B

I also like paint pots better in some aspects... but sometimes I find it difficult to get the darker colours even, which is a bit easier with shadesticks. Life is filled with so many hard decisions, LOL!

ri0tdorque

A few days ago I just picked up Sharkskin and so far I love it. It's great for a fast smokey look and goes on so smooth. At first I was a little well worried it would be a waist of money but so far I actually find myself using it more often than I would have thought.

User49

Blackground! It's more versatile! And spreads a lot easier than sharkskin. Also a better base for making eyeshadows last!
smiles.gif

elegant-one

This is funny - I just did this exact same post question like a week or so ago. Pretty much everyone voted for Blackground! I bought the Blackground - & I LOVE it! Its beautiful.

Karen_B

Ack, I am so undecided! But I am thinking, maybe if they are discontinuing shadesticks it could be a good idea to get Sharkskin first? If I don't like it I can always swap for it and buy Blackground later... hmmm....

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_B
Ack, I am so undecided! But I am thinking, maybe if they are discontinuing shadesticks it could be a good idea to get Sharkskin first? If I don't like it I can always swap for it and buy Blackground later... hmmm....

But if you do love Sharkskin, then you are left with loving a discontinued/sometimes hard to find item. For me, paint pots go on easier than the shadesticks, but like anything it's personal preference. Is there any way to try them both out beforehand to see what you prefer?

Hilly

I just sold my sharkskin because I had so much difficulty in blending. I don't have the black PP, but I would bet it would be smoother in application. I have oily eyelids which may be a factor.

msmack

I have sharkskin and blackround.... I prefer Graphito paint to either one of them!

#1 choice Graphito
#2 sharkskin
#3 blackround

Karen_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
I just sold my sharkskin because I had so much difficulty in blending. I don't have the black PP, but I would bet it would be smoother in application. I have oily eyelids which may be a factor.

Yeah, I have oily lids too which could argue for the PP instead.
I don't usually have any trouble blending the shadesticks I do own though. Does the "blendability" vary between the different shadesticks?

Hilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_B
Yeah, I have oily lids too which could argue for the PP instead.
I don't usually have any trouble blending the shadesticks I do own though. Does the "blendability" vary between the different shadesticks?

Actually, all 4 shadesticks I had seemed to be blah in blending. I just thought they were too dry to do anything with. I liked Paints better, but Paint pots are just the best base I have ever used. Better than UDPP for me.

Brittni

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamYOURUs
I don't have either but I love paintpots a lot more than shadesticks imo only because they blend better. I have a hard time applying shadesticks on my lid, it hurts by the time I am done. lol

Try warming the sticks in your hands first. Trust me, it does wonders and makes them glide on a lot easier!
thmbup.gif

GlamYOURUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittni
Try warming the sticks in your hands first. Trust me, it does wonders and makes them glide on a lot easier!
thmbup.gif

I have and still no luck. I really have to put the effort in applying them. They glide on my hand well after I warm them up but just not my lids and I have normal lids.
th_dunno.gif

I only own 2 shadesticks - Mangomix & Sea Me. I know I won't use them at all but I don't wanna sell them either. lol

MACATTAK

^^ I have the same problem, even if I do warm them between my hands. They still seem to tug at my lids. I've also heard of warming it under a hairdryer for a few seconds..I haven't tried that yet though.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamYOURUs
I have and still no luck. I really have to put the effort in applying them. They glide on my hand well after I warm them up but just not my lids and I have normal lids.
th_dunno.gif

I only own 2 shadesticks - Mangomix & Sea Me. I know I won't use them at all but I don't wanna sell them either. lol

I don't have Mangomix (yet) but I do have Sea Me and that one is really tough, it tugs on my lids a lot and isn't creamy like Beige-ing for example. Both Beige-ing and Sharkskin glide on really smooth on me without having to warm them prior to use, but Sea Me is just a big tug-a-thon, even with warming it up a bit beforehand. I don't use it a lot because of that! So I do think there's a difference between the various shadesticks.

They don't really blend together well, that's true, but I don't think it's necessary because you put shadow on top and blend that, so you don't get harsh lines, well at least I don't.

Hilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
^^ I have the same problem, even if I do warm them between my hands. They still seem to tug at my lids. I've also heard of warming it under a hairdryer for a few seconds..I haven't tried that yet though.

I tried the dryer way, and it got way too melty. I think i only did it for 10 seconds?