Shiny Face - How to Combat ? What Worked For You?

Shantih

Hi Everyone!

I've just found this site and I'm so impressed with the FOTD pics ! How gorgeous and talented are you guys!!!!

I was wondering if anyone here had experience combating an oily appearance? I find that about 2 hours after applying my makeup if I get even flustered my skin becomes really shiny. I'm not sure how to combat this - I'm using an oil free makeup and setting powder but still get the shiny face.
ssad.gif
(

Would really appreciate anyone's advice or some similiar experiences and what worked for you guys.
smiles.gif

user2

Hi and welcome to Specktra!

Have you ever tried Benefits Doctor Feelgood?
I have a shiny skin as well and it keeps it non-shiny for hours!
It also makes my skin soooo smooth!

PnkCosmo

Welcome to Specktra!!

Try Smashbox's Anti-Shine. The one that comes in the tube. It's great for oily & combo skin! You just apply it where your oily spots are, and presto! No oil for hours! When first putting it on in the morning, you apply it after your moisturizer & before your foundation.

It's also great & portable, so you can easily toss in in your makeup bag. If by chance you still get a little oily throughout the day, it's ok to apply a little over your makeup. This stuff controls the oil pretty good for me, though. You prob. won't need to touch up with it; unless you're going out in the evening- then I would apply a bit more before you go out.

I love shiseido's spf 55 lotion as a mattifier. I know, it's sunscreen, but this is the only thing that's worked for my crazy greasy nose.

mspixieears

Non-makeup things you can do - clay masks - this has helped me heaps in the past, and also steaming your face. Which means you have to drink a lot of water. I used to have a lot of oiliness but it's calmed down somewhat.

Make sure you cleanse thoroughly every night after wearing makeup! Don't want to clog those pores.

maryam

MoM helps a lot for me. I just apply it straight on my shiniest areas, or you can dilute it with water, and that totally helps kill the shine.

din

After I finish applying my makeup, I use either MAC blot powder or Studio Finish loose powder over my skin. Don't put too much b/c you still want to look natural. My skin is normal to oily and I use the blot powder throughout the day for touch ups and the shininess has not been a problem.
smiles.gif

flo

This isn't really makeup but -

I use those oil blotting films that you can carry around in packets.

I love 'em.

mrskloo

My friend swears by MAC Oil Control Lotion. She gets really shiny and it helps. She also uses MAC's blot powder for touch ups.

Chelsea

I have tried EVERYTHING and the best thing for me is just using blotting sheets an powder touch up during the day.

Shantih

Thanks so much for the replies.

I've hit eBay and found some stuff but can't find any of the Smashbox Anti-Shine. The only one who sells it won't ship to Australia and we don't get it here!

Ah well, I am trying all the other suggestions and really appreciate the advice.
smiles.gif
)

When I get my act together I'll see if I can do a FOTD!

bleeblue

Hi, has anyone tried the clairns mattifying cream thing? i'm thinking of trying that - i'd love to hear some reviews of it here first though
smiles.gif

TIA

polobear45

Mac Blot Powder is the best, I have been using it for the last like 2 years . It is great on my oily skin .

Cleopatra

Believe me I have tried everything and I think I finally have it worked out (so far so good
winks.gif
)

A shine free face is not just down to your foundation you need to start from a good base and that means good skincare.

I have found the following have worked for me

MD Formulations Combo skin glycolic cleanser
MD Formulations Vita A Clearing complex (morning only)
Chanel Hydramax Serum (to replace moisture stripped by cleansing and aircon at work)
Affirm 3X - I recently started using this at night and WOW I am impressed. It has made a huge difference to my skin texture and I don't wake up with any shine at all which I have done all my life prior to this. I I cannot recommend it highly enough

My foundation at the moment is Prescriptives Virtual Matte

Using all the above I don't even need powder as my face stays shine free the entire day and right through to night.

HTH
greengrin.gif

Chelsea

I find blot powder builds up on my skin and looks cakey :/ plus I always dropped the compact and it shatters soo easy

Shantih

Wow cheers for the help guys!~
smiles.gif

In Australia a lot of the girls here swear by Mylanta or Milk of Magnesia - they're antacids believe it or not! They use it as a primer and reckons it really helps with oily skin. Gotta wonder if there's anything in there that could be bad for skin though :/

Went out last night and about 6 hours in I went to freshen up and lo and behold I was a little Miss Shiny Face! I think I can get about 4 hours before I get shiny - is this about average? I mean, how long is makeup meant to last before one needs to freshen up?

Going to try all the suggestions and see what works - if it works for me it'll work for anyone!

Demosthenes

I like Blot powder, like a lot of people already mentioned, but also, for girls with really oily skin, I use a mattifier like MAC's cream mattifier. This is great for events like Proms/weddings where you can't always touch up with a powder.