Should I try matching this dress?

GGBlu

My honey is coming home from Iraq in a few days
yahoo.gif
and we're going to his best friend's wedding in two weeks. I found THE most gorgeous dress, but now the dilemma is do I try to match my eyes to the dress, or do I go for something smokey and bypass the dress color entirely?

Here's the color ... it's a bit more intense IRL, but you get the idea.

rsr0gl.jpg
24m9jbn.jpg

I tried
:: Delft as a base over the lid
:: Vanilla pigment on the inner corner
:: Teal pigment on the outer 2/3
:: Dark Soul pigment on the outer corner and into the crease to smoke it out

And honestly, I didn't love it. It didn't pop for me at all. This is a combo I'd wear to work.

Can any of you recommend a nice color combination for this? I'm guessing I'd pair it with some type of nude shiny lip, but I haven't really planned that far ahead yet, as I'm stuck on the eyes for the moment.

I haven't seen the boy since October 5
ssad.gif
so needless to say, I want to look stunning.

Thanks in advance.

Little Addict

I'm either thinking something natural or smokey. Sorry that I can't help that much.

The dress is gorgeous btw.

GGBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerJenny
a bronze smokey eye with a coral lip would be sex

Ooohhh, loving this.

I have Coral Polyp and Possum Nose Pink, which make a lovely coral lip. I really need to pick up some type of coral-y liner.

For the bronze smokey eye ... I have so many neutral browns that I could use on the lid, and of course, I have Bronze e/s for the corner.

How about if I added a pop of aqua on the lower lash line, just to brighten it up a bit?? Or would that throw it all off?

OfficerJenny

Mmm that sounds lovely.
Personally, if I were to add some aqua on the lower lashline, I would keep it subtle. Like do an intense line of a tealy shadow, with a bronze over it so you only see a hint of the teal.

I really think that dress will look sooo lovely with Coral Polyp, though! <3

janieboo

OMG agreed. When I saw the dress the first thought was " neutral eyes and Coral Polyp lips." Eee! That would look majorly hot. My second lippe suggestion would be "Impassioned," but I think coral would go sooo well with the blue.

Good luck! And that's so exciting you get to see your man again.
smiles.gif

HeatherLouWho

Ditto on the smokey eye/coral lips. I am having a love affair with NARS Beautiful Liar lately, which is a coral-ly color with a gold shimmer. Good luck and congrats!

GGBlu

I've been playing with colors ALL day, and my eyes are now red and stinging from all the makeup I've put on and taken off ... and I still can't find a combination I like. Tomorrow, when my eyes having stopped tearing, I think I'll try Brule, Trax, Satin Taupe, and Bronze.

Looks like I'm going to be heading to my MAC store some time this week for a few recos. :
sigh.gif
: I'm beginning to get frustrated.
th_dunno.gif

OfficerJenny

How about something like

woodwinked on lid, bronze and satin taupe in the crease and corners, with a bit of sketch to smoke it out
oh.gif

GGBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerJenny
How about something like

woodwinked on lid, bronze and satin taupe in the crease and corners, with a bit of sketch to smoke it out
oh.gif

This sounds like a lovely combination. I have everything but Sketch, so I'll try to substitute something else, or just go to my MAC store and pick it up ... I've got 6 empties to B2M, so I might use them on Sketch. I really can't thank you enough for your suggestions here.

I'm feeling a bit less frustrated ... the boy called to let me know he was back in the states and on his way to the base. I hadn't heard his voice since Christmas day, so it was a wonderful surprise. Now I'm doubly determined to look flawless for the wedding!

GGBlu

Turns out I can't do a bronze smokey eye, because I've decided to wear silver shoes and pair the dress with a silver clutch.

So I took the dress to my local MAC store and got the friendliest MUA to help me out. She and I chatted a bit about what I was looking for and what I already owned, and here's what we came up with.

Arctic Grey on the inner lid, Electra on the rest of the lid, Print in the crease and outer corner and Carbon to just smoke out the Print a bit ... Smolder on the lower waterline with some Carbon smudged on the lower lashline. The pop of color I'd been wanting so badly is going to be Aqualine liquid last liner on the upper lash line.

This will be paired with Cranapple l/l, Coral Polyp l/s, and either Possum Nose Pink l/g or Love Nectar l/g.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. Looks like the smokey eye look won out
thmbup.gif

And Chad, I can't thank you enough for the reco on the coral lips ... that really kicks the whole look up.
th_worship.gif

GGBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencemylips
I wouldn't match it. I'd compliment it. Maybe a grey/silver smokey eye, or a bronze?

See my post above. Between recos on here and from my MUA, I decided on a smokey eye and coral lips.

janieboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGBlu
Now I'm doubly determined to look flawless for the wedding!

Dude, seriously...don't get all caught up in worrying about that. In his eyes, I'm sure you could wear a potato sack and still be the hottest thing in the world to him.

Do your make-up, put on the dress, but don't get caught up in the little details - have fun and enjoy the fact that your man was one of the lucky ones to come home safe and sound.

GGBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieboo
Dude, seriously...don't get all caught up in worrying about that. In his eyes, I'm sure you could wear a potato sack and still be the hottest thing in the world to him.

Do your make-up, put on the dress, but don't get caught up in the little details - have fun and enjoy the fact that your man was one of the lucky ones to come home safe and sound.

I thank God every day that he's stayed safe through all of his deployments, and I certainly don't take it for granted that while he's come home, there are too many of his fellows Marines who haven't been so lucky.

But what better way to celebrate his return than by putting on a gorgeous dress and fabulous makeup and spending the night with some of his closest friends?
th_wink3.gif

~Zoe~

That is such a gorgeous dress, I would love to see the whole look put together! And congrats on being able to see your man again -- have a lovely time at the wedding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGBlu
Turns out I can't do a bronze smokey eye, because I've decided to wear silver shoes and pair the dress with a silver clutch.

So I have a stupid question...why is bronze makeup + silver accessories a bad combo??
th_confused_new.gif