Sir Edmund Hilary dies

athena123

I was a little sad to hear he died. I've always been fascinated by the explorers and quests to go where no one has gone before; especially when they're wrapped around mountain climbing and Mount Everest. I read about the first few and unsuccessful attempts to summit Everest and Hilary's successful ascent with great interest.

I've since followed other Everest happenings, including the gripping "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer about the disaster in May 1996 when 11 people died on that mountain. Even back then, Sir Hilary was expressing concern about guided expeditions and the "tourism" of the world's tallest mountain.

I'm saddened by this news.
ssad.gif

Hilly

Because my name is Hillary, I have ALWAYS known about him...even when was I was small. So this is pretty sad for me. RIP

*Stargazer*

I've always had issues with classifying him as the first person to scale Everest, but I really, really respect him for coming out and condemning what Everest has become. Particularly in the aftermath of the death of David Sharp.

athena123

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stargazer*
I've always had issues with classifying him as the first person to scale Everest

I'm curious about why this is? Is it because his Sherpa guide Tenzing Norgay isn't always included as the first to scale Everest, or because you believe [as many do] that George Mallory was really the first to scale Everest? Even after Mallory's body was finally found in 2001, 75 years after his first attempt, no one is still able to ascertain whether or not he made it to the summit.

But yes, he's probably more worthy of respect for his actions AFTER he made the summit than anything else. The foundations he started to make life better for the people of the Himalayas, organizing cleanup of the pollution and campsite around there as well as his statements regarding Dave Sharp. I don't understand how so many people can pass by a man in complete distress and not help...

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena123
I'm curious about why this is? Is it because his Sherpa guide Tenzing Norgay isn't always included as the first to scale Everest, or because you believe [as many do] that George Mallory was really the first to scale Everest? Even after Mallory's body was finally found in 2001, 75 years after his first attempt, no one is still able to ascertain whether or not he made it to the summit.

Both. Plus I also get a little bugged out at the idea that no one ever got up that mountain before Westerners started trying, KWIM? None of which is really his fault though, so while I had issues with calling him the first, I didn't have issues with him.

And I totally agree with your other statement. His work after the fact deserves many accolades.

captodometer

I agree that the work done after climbing Everest is admirable. He is a New Zealand icon, probably the only Kiwi that most of the world can actually identify as a Kiwi: myself included until I moved here.

He is being given a state funeral; it will be one week from Tuesday.

NutMeg

I don't think his death saddens me necessarily because I feel like he had a pretty full life, but it does make me stop and consider his life and accomplishments. RIP.