Smartphones and nails...

xsnowwhite

i love my blackberry pearl
smiles.gif
nails have never been an issue for me either.

blackbird

Blackberry Bold. I had an Iphone for a couple of days but had to trade it cos I couldn't use my nails to type.

malaviKat

LOL Thanks ladies!
smiles.gif

Like I said, I have to evaluate the applications and functionality of each device and that will be a separate research project altogether. But I thank you for your informed opinions where manicures are concerned.

The stylus for the iPhone sounds like a great option if I decide to go with the iPhone. I am not much of a texter; I prefer full emails on a full keyboard, but I'd love to be able to quickly tap out notes for myself (as a key component of all of this is the ability to use whichever device as an organizational assistant).

Bleh so much research.

LMD84

i don't have an iphone but i do have an ipod touch. my nails are at the lengh where they just come over the tips of my fingers and i get along fine with the ipod. i find it easy writing emails and such.

nichollecaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat
As someone who owns both devices, do you have a preference?

I also had both---and I prefer the blackberry because of blackberry messenger (i'm an addict).

It really depends what you want tho...The iphone is fully customizeable (themes are free for the most part) and the browsing experience is superb.

The blackberry's apps are usually available by purchase only and the browser on mine is slightly irritating (slooooooowwww) . Still I neeeeeeed blackberry messenger.

Alsp, paypal works from my iphone and not my blackberry! (i'm not in the US, so on the berry they say mobile paypal is not available in my country).

The blackberry has proven sturdier for me...dropped the iphone nd the screen went kaput---had to have it replaced. While my blackberry has taken flight so many times its embarassing lol.

hth

darklocke

I originally wanted a Blackberry, but as they are not common here in Norway I decided to get an iPhone instead of exchanging my soul for that Blackberry. I've got medium long natural nails, and I have somewhat of a problem, although I have no problem using a regular keyboard no matter how long my nails are - I guess it's just something you have to get used to. Anyway, I've had my iPhone for a day now, and I don't want to part with it.
smiles.gif

bethr

You know I believe these phones are designed with those things in mind, thus I think it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I don't think it would hurt or scratch the screen, if you are in doubt I would check it out in the store.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethr
You know I believe these phones are designed with those things in mind, thus I think it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I don't think it would hurt or scratch the screen, if you are in doubt I would check it out in the store.

LOL I'm not concerned about scratching the screen so much as I'm concerned about the screen not responding to my nails. The principle upon which iPhones work (I gather) deals with the conduction of electricity across the surface of your fingertip and across the screen. Your nails don't conduct this electricity and as long nails prevent skin to screen contact, typing becomes a real chore!

kaliraksha

You might consider an Android phone... like the G1. It's really integrated and easy to use, plus the apps are generally free. It automatically sinks to your google accounts... like your calendar and email. Might be great if you already use Google.

The best thing about the G1 for those of us with longer nails... you can use a full slide out keyboard or the on screen keyboard.

AngelBunny

I have a Samsung Instinct ... completely touch screen like and iPhone (though it doesn't do nearly as much) and I use my nails for it at all times and never have any issues. I use it for everything (have budgets and grocery lists saved on it, etc) and they are not terribly expensive. And mine is pink
greengrin.gif

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBunny
I have a Samsung Instinct ... completely touch screen like and iPhone (though it doesn't do nearly as much) and I use my nails for it at all times and never have any issues. I use it for everything (have budgets and grocery lists saved on it, etc) and they are not terribly expensive. And mine is pink
greengrin.gif

Maybe I don't know what I'm doing then. LOL this is the first new phone I will be buying in ten years. For a techno junkie I can be blissfully behind the times. :p

belle89

I love my Blackberry Curve. I am a huge BB fan. As far as my nails go, I keep them short just about all the time. Now that I text a lot more, I keep my nails well kept because I don't want to have grody nails on display.

jennifer.

i just had to come in and say that i second the pogo stylus for the iphone! i used that thing religiously until i lost it : (

now i'm thinking the one(s) tish recommended might work too. they're certainly much cheaper!

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBunny
greengrin.gif

The touch screens of the Iphone and the Samsung are completely different....I had a Samsung Finesse that I could use my nails with as well...The Iphone and Blackberry touch screens are more advanced and they adhere to human touch or the lights not nails or regular stylus pens

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer.
i just had to come in and say that i second the pogo stylus for the iphone! i used that thing religiously until i lost it : (

now i'm thinking the one(s) tish recommended might work too. they're certainly much cheaper!

Trust me they do I bought two sets

X4biddenxLustX

I like to keep longer nails and I currently have a Sidekick LX 2009 right now. I find that I am usually able to type without many problems as long as I don't let my nails grow TOO long. The buttons on the keypad are kind of soft so it's not so hard on my nails or fingers when I type on there.

Before that I had 2 other sidekicks, the regular LX and the SK3. Both of them had harder buttons which put a lot of stress on my nails and fingers. I had a lot of nail breakage from that after a while cause there are days where I'm literally surfing the web and texting on there the whole day. Plus the buttons weren't really that spaced away from each other and I would always hit the wrong buttons. I would not recommend those 2 phones if you have longer nails.

I've never owned a blackberry so I can't really say anything about them. I have played with an iphone at the apple store and didn't like the touch screen typing. I had issues with hitting the wrong letters when I tried to type a message out. But it could very well just be because of the fact that I wasn't use to using a touch screen keypad.

malaviKat

... I think I'm going to have to give up my "in person" search for this stylus. (I wanted to, at very least, get my hands on it and try it out at the Apple store before I forked over the cash for an iPhone, if I decide to buy one.)

I've been to two major malls in Toronto now, gone from kiosks to stores and back again (wherever phones and phone accessories were sold) and in EVERY case, I got this blank stare and the standard: "The iphone is touch sensitive. It responds to your fingers. It doesn't come with a stylus. You don't need a stylus."

Well bloody hell. Yes, I know that. :p

Nobody has even heard of the Pogo stylus here, so every salesperson looked at me like I'd gone mad. Then, to top it off, a sales associate (she was polite about it, mind you) suggested I try one of the more "ghetto" locations out in Scarborough (if you live in Toronto, you'll know what I'm talking about), because their "clientele" would likely have a higher demand for a stylus to be used with long nails... ! :p

I find it's absolutely incredible that they don't sell a stylus in a country where people are forced to wear gloves for 3 months of the year.

/rant

X4biddenxLustX

^^ That's crazy. Don't you just love that though? You'd think they'd have something like that available but when you go and try to get it you can't find it at all.

But I swear I've seen some stylus' being sold at electronic shops down here in the U.S. They have to sell them cause what if people who do actually have phones that you specifically use a stylus with, lose their stylus?

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4biddenxLustX
^^ That's crazy. Don't you just love that though? You'd think they'd have something like that available but when you go and try to get it you can't find it at all.

But I swear I've seen some stylus' being sold at electronic shops down here in the U.S. They have to sell them cause what if people who do actually have phones that you specifically use a stylus with, lose their stylus?

Exactly. The thing with the iphone though is that it isn't marketed with a stylus. The Pogo stylus (and others like it) are after-market add-ons which the retailers here currently ignore. If it were not for the fact that one of the guys at the Apple store had told me that he'd seen a client with a stylus for the iPhone, I would swear it just didn't exist in Canada at all.

I'm going to order a set off of ebay and take it in to Apple and test it out once and for all. I've also chopped my nails down. (Not typical of my preferred length but at least this way we'll see if it's my nails and not my inability to get with technology.)

I have to say though...as much as I want an iPhone in some respects, I don't think it wants me.

:p