Some basic brush recs?

Aurynn

My old brushes are falling apart and I intend to replace them with MAC brushes, but they have so many I'm at a loss where to start.

I have decent blush, powder and foundation/concealer brushes so I don't need any of those, but recommendations for other essentials would be highly appreciated
smiles.gif

Also do you guys think I should get a mix of synthetic and other brushes? Or maybe go for mostly synthetic so I can use them for both cream/powder textures?

DirtyPlum

I think the 217 and 239 eye shadow brushes are great to start with. The 217 is a really popular blending brush and its fluffy enough to blend e/s but yet not too fluffy to just apply e/s... but a lot of people like the 239 for basic application of e/s.

The other two you may want to compare the above with are the 272 and 224 - see which ones you prefer.

For loose e/s, pigments and paints you may want to look at the 242 (ginger brush)

smiles.gif

Aurynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPlum
I think the 217 and 239 eye shadow brushes are great to start with. The 217 is a really popular blending brush and its fluffy enough to blend e/s but yet not too fluffy to just apply e/s... but a lot of people like the 239 for basic application of e/s.

The other two you may want to compare the above with are the 272 and 224 - see which ones you prefer.

For loose e/s, pigments and paints you may want to look at the 242 (ginger brush)

smiles.gif

Thanks
smiles.gif
I'll certainly have a look at the 242. Can I also use this one for paintpots?

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurynn
Thanks
smiles.gif

For Paint Pots I use the 231.

DirtyPlum

Quote:
Thanks
smiles.gif

Yep I use it for both... the others just dont deposit enough colour from the paints in my opinion.

You may also like the 219 for smudging or applying e/s to the lower lash line.

xtinaposh

Quote:
My old brushes are falling apart and I intend to replace them with MAC brushes, but they have so many I'm at a loss where to start.

I have decent blush, powder and foundation/concealer brushes so I don't need any of those, but recommendations for other essentials would be highly appreciated
smiles.gif

Also do you guys think I should get a mix of synthetic and other brushes? Or maybe go for mostly synthetic so I can use them for both cream/powder textures?

I would deeply recommend the 252- Paints,paint pots,eyeshadows,,its amazing, its big and sturdy so you can get alot of color in a rush.Another is the 217 OBV lol. Amazing at blending and working that crease!! Then the 266 which is a must for brows and cream lining.I also suggest you go to Michaels for some cheap but great alternatives to the 266 and 239 for about 3-5 bucks
smiles.gif

Hope this helps!!

mreichert

I would say for MAC- the 217, 219, and 239 are very good. The others you can dupe for other brands that are a bit cheaper but still good quality
smiles.gif

KikiB

I have two picks-the 209 (pencil liner, absolutely amazing) and the 217 (amazing for the crease). I actually don't like the 252, it's too big for my tastes.