Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge

aziajs

sk_purple_peep.jpg

pic courtesy of Bsheth86 on MUA

sk_blue_peep.jpg

pic courtesy of melissab33 on MUA

There is a thread on the BeautyBlender but I wanted this to be a complete and separate thread. What do you guys think of the Sonia Kashuk sponge? The original was blue but it now comes in purple. It is available at Target.com or your local Target store.

Here are my thoughts:

• It doesn't work well for applying foundation. I felt as though I used too much product without enough payoff. The application was sheer and I was underwhelmed.
  • I used Revlon Colorstay foundation and found it hard to remove from the sponge (I used Dawn & Dr. Bonner's)
  • I LOVE the sponge for finishing the face AFTER I have applied foundation. I stippled it all over my face and it blended the foundation into my skin well. I also used it on my cheeks after applying a MSF. It really helped to blend it in and create a beautiful sheen. I am sure you could use it once you applied your powder as well to really set it. It would take away the powdery finish as well.
  • I think it works amazingly well for applying/blending concealer. Using it wet and applying the concealer with the smaller end really gave me a great finish. I used Studio Sculpt concealer.
  • I used it wet. I don't know how it works dry.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
Thanks for this
smiles.gif
Are you just using regular water to wet the sponge?

Yep. I either run it under the tap or I fill a cup with water and place the sponge in it. You have to squeeze the sponge to let it absorb the water and then squeeze the water out.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith130
i hate that thing i used it twice. i just use my 187 and fingers.

Why did you hate it? What was your experience?

user79

I'd like to try the Sonia one but it's not sold here, neither is the beautyblender. But I have heard that it does soak up a lot of product and foundation is pretty pricey here...

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I'd like to try the Sonia one but it's not sold here, neither is the beautyblender. But I have heard that it does soak up a lot of product and foundation is pretty pricey here...

It does. I found it to be wasteful so I wouldn't recommend it for application at all.

Dreamergirl3

thanks tons! I really really want to get this. I'm sure I could find a use for it even if I don't like it for foundation use, such as finishing the look as you suggested!

Macnarsandlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
Why did you hate it? What was your experience?

The nubs are awkward and dont make it easier to hold just make it diff enough for them not to get sued buy beauty blender. it was really dense and soaked up all the makeup. i used it damp and dry and noticed that I like fuller coverage and this gave a more sheer look. after this i gave up on sponges. maybe ill use this to help blend after i apply it pre-powder.

mizuki~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs

• I LOVE the sponge for finishing the face AFTER I have applied foundation. I stippled it all over my face and it blended the foundation into my skin well. I also used it on my cheeks after applying a MSF. It really helped to blend it in and create a beautiful sheen. I am sure you could use it once you applied your powder as well to really set it. It would take away the powdery finish as well

Huh..I guess that's why they called it the Blending Sponge and not a Foundation Sponge..haha is it worth buying for this purpose only though?
Thanks for your review BTW!
yes.gif

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki~

[/list]
Huh..I guess that's why they called it the Blending Sponge and not a Foundation Sponge..haha is it worth buying for this purpose only though?
Thanks for your review BTW!
yes.gif

You know, it's worth it if you feel you are going to take that extra step. It's only $9.99 so it's not a huge monetary investment but it's a time investment.

i_love_mac

I have the Blue Sonia one and I actually own mac 109, 187, and 190 and I think that using the sponge is easier and a nicer finish. The foundation that I use is the Dior and it works well.

What I do is run it under tap water and squeeze the water out and let it soak up again and I do this about 3 times and the last time squeeze all the water out and by this time the sponge is really springy!

Here is my youtube review of the sponge
YouTube - Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge

Please subscribe to my channel!

j_absinthe

I have to say I really liked what this sponge did for me. I used it damp at first and made sure to wring out as much water as possible before laying on foundation- Cinema Secret's cream- and stippled onto the face. The finish was excellent, totally natural looking. I used the point to spread the product and get under the eyes and around the nose, as well as to contour, and the fat end to blend and finish. The drawback is that without the proper cleaning product, it's a pain to clean. Which is why I used my Cinema Secrets brush cleaner; that really did the trick. As far as soaking up a lot of product, that's one of the reasons I like this sponge, because it's more dense and allows the product to sit on the surface and not become so completely lost in the sponge.