Sorry but I just need to rant ...

RaynelleM

(Not sure if this is the right place for this, please move if not)

Ok this is not a life-threatening situation or anything but I’m just really pissed off.

So this past x’mas I bought an empty MAC es palette (quad) and a $25 gift cert (for 2 es) for this girl at my work. She’s one of the few people around my age at my work so I hang out with her a lot. Well before x’mas she kept mentioning how she wanted to go to MAC and buy es and how she’s never been there cuz it’s so expensive etc etc. Well since 98% of my make-up is MAC I decided to introduce her to it via an x’mas gift. And then after x’mas I went with her to MAC so she could pick out some colours. She only ended up buying 2 which the gift cert covered. I’m just going to say now that I did not receive a gift from her, which is fine cuz x’mas is about giving but still the child in me was a little disappointed.

Well today I told her how I bought a new lipstick yesterday (at the Fafi event) and she asked me to come show it to her. So when I go over she looks at it tells me it’s a nice colour and then says “I hate MAC, I’m never buying MAC again”. So, I ask her what happened, expecting her to tell me she had an allergic reaction or something. No. She tells me how the 2 es broke inside the case when it was in her purse. Now let me just mention this girl carries everything in her purse, her lunch, a novel, everything and it’s one of those bags that looks like a sling so there’s no compartments and everything is just thrown in. And then she goes on to say how she’s so mad at MAC cuz she spent so much money for that stuff (yeah apparently she’s forgotten that I was the one that spent the money!!). So I asked what she did … I would have put the crumbled pieces in another container and mixed the 2 colours together … and she said she threw it out!!!! And the empty palette as well!!! WTF!!! That’s like $35 wasted, just wasted!!! I could’ve bought myself something with that money … or left it in my savings account where it was in the first place! And how is that MAC’s fault?? And why the hell would you tell the person that bought you the gift that you threw it out?? I mean it’s not food or something that’s gone bad … it just broke into pieces … it’s still useable! Am I wrong??

I guess I’m just mad cuz of the way she was saying it … like I mentioned earlier, she was talking about it like she used her own money to buy it. And then to prove her point she pulls out some cheapo drug store es and says “look this one hasn’t broken”. I don’t know if she really forgot that I had given it to her as a gift but it just seemed really insensitive to me … firstly I never forget what people have given me no matter how small and secondly if I did ever happen to break a gift I would never tell the person and on top of that blame the company which made it!! I think also cuz I am being so tight with my money right now, trying to save up to take some make-up courses later this year, even $35 seems like a lot of money to waste esp when it wasn’t necessary.

Neway, I didn’t say anything to her, I just left. But I just wanted to rant to someone and since no one I know really appreciates my love of MAC and make-up in general, I thought I write here cuz I know you guys really know the value of MAC and (I’m hoping) understand what I’m talking about.

Thanks for reading.

gigglegirl

Ouch I'm sorry to hear that. I agree with you, even though Christmas is about giving and I love finding something that you know that person would just LOVE and then you get nothing back. I've felt that little kid go "poo, that sucks".

Its too bad whether she remembered or not that you gave her the card AND took her shopping to pick out stuff (who wouldn't remember that?!) that she just threw it out. Wow I would definitely feel hurt like you.

I don't really have any advice for you, but considering how this turned out, if I were you I probably wouldn't do it again for her. Obviously she doesn't value the friendship the same as you as she could have even made something at home to show her appreciation and it could have cost her nothing. It wasn't appreciated.

glam8babe

thats terrible! you should have said "i bought you that as a gift!" im sure she wouldnt have forgot you bought her it...
but it pisses me off too because my friend is like this too, i cant even let her near my makeup coz she messes EVERYTHING up, opens up eyeshadows dips her fingers in like its a fuckin toy, apply 10 layers of lipgloss on her lips then wipes it off.. then picks out another lipgloss and does the same

some people just dont know how to handle things especially when they are so expensive and when you collect them.
Just let her keep to her drugstore makeup and dont bother buying her anything again!

RaynelleM

Thanks guys!! I am definitely not going to be buying her anything again esp not MAC. Actually I think this taught me a good lesson ... in the future I'm not going to waste money like this buying x'mas gifts for coworkers ... only for my family & bf!

MACATTAK

Yup I agree with the other posters, don't buy her anything again. Some people can't appreciate a gift, not matter what it is. Try to let it go & not think about it anymore, it's only going to keep getting you mad and there's nothing you can do about it now.

Willa

Wow...
That girl has no sense of recognition at all!!!

I would probably be very mad if I were you
I mean, you don't do that...
At least she could have given you back the palette
th_dunno.gif

RaynelleM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
Wow...
That girl has no sense of recognition at all!!!

I would probably be very mad if I were you
I mean, you don't do that...
At least she could have given you back the palette
th_dunno.gif

That's exactly what I was thinking!! I would have been very happy to fill it up with 4 new es!!!

xIxSkyDancerxIx

NOT COOL!! I think this is why I usually don't buy expensive things for people until I really get to know them, which sounds kind of stingy but I hate it when you get something for someone and they don't appreciate AT ALL.

You should tell her to go dig through her trash can and find the palette lol. *huggs.. I'm sorry to hear what she did though hun.

Willa

Are you very close with her?
I mean, what is your relationship beside the fact that you work with her... does she seems and acts like a good friend???

Trunkmonkey

Perhaps she wasn't thinking about it at the time but I fail to find any fault with you being angry with her actions. I would have shoved her down the stairs and thrown an office chair after her.

elegant-one

Awe...even though it seems like such a waste...it'll come back to you in the way you need it most - even if not from her! And, now you've learned her character a bit and may want to determine if it is a good realationship for you at all.

Wow, what an awesome friend you are for being so kind & selfless...great character!

SparklingWaves

I would ask her, since she hates M.A.C does she have any containers that she didn't throw away. I would tell her that I would want them to for the B2M program.
smiles.gif
She is wasting a great product and not appreciating her friendship.

VDUB*BELLA

Awwww
Time to start focusing on yourself and what matters. I know sometimes we cant help ourselves and tend to be generous and caring people but sad reality is that our intentions are reciprocated back.

I've been there. Dont dwell on it. You learned from your mistake and now its time to move on. In the future when doing gift exchanges make sure to set clear guide lines on how much you each will spend etc.

lsperry

***HUGS***. I’m sorry for your experience and loss. And I can feel your pain.

But don’t forget one of the rules of gift-giving is that a gift is just that, a “gift”. Once it is given to the recipient, it is theirs to do with whatever they want to do with it.

I had to remind my husband of this when he ranted about how thoughtless his niece was when she didn’t take care of a mink coat that was given by his sister to the niece. Once it was given to her, you can’t dictate to her how it should be treated. Yes, her not taking care of it is crass and careless; but that’s the risk you take when you give someone a “gift” they may or may not cherish as much as you.

I am very long in the tooth and had to learn this lesson a long time ago. I used to give and share things with thoughtless “friends/relatives” and I realized because I valued something so highly doesn’t mean the other person will, too.

I’ve given 14k gold necklaces and bracelets as graduation gifts. One of the recipients lost theirs and someone said, “She is going to be so mad!” No I wasn’t. I just thought of it as their loss. I gave it to them as a gift and I had no right to dictate to them to be careful with it.

And after my rage subsided, I would have done what SparklingWaves said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
I would ask her, since she hates M.A.C does she have any containers that she didn't throw away. I would tell her that I would want them to for the B2M program.
smiles.gif

But, I believe there is something deeper going on with this co-worker. And it sounds like she's just jealous of you and wanted to hurt you, but good!

CantAffordMAC

Freak it then. Let her wear drugstore makeup.

At least now you know not to give the wonderful gift of MAC to those who don't appreciate it. LoL. Thats wrong of her though. She obviously doesn't get it.

I dropped my refined golden bronzer awhile back at school and the whole thing shattered on the cafeteria floor. I just threw it out.
thud.gif
I could've A) re-pressed it and/or B) used the empty for B2M. I was stupid....I didn't know.

makeup_wh0re

I had a best friend that did something very common like that to me. Besides that she would always "borrow" my perfume and makeup without askin. Some people are just insensitive. You seem like a sweet girl. Sorry that happened to you.

mrheine

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
thats terrible! you should have said "i bought you that as a gift!" im sure she wouldnt have forgot you bought her it...
but it pisses me off too because my friend is like this too, i cant even let her near my makeup coz she messes EVERYTHING up, opens up eyeshadows dips her fingers in like its a fuckin toy, apply 10 layers of lipgloss on her lips then wipes it off.. then picks out another lipgloss and does the same

some people just dont know how to handle things especially when they are so expensive and when you collect them.
Just let her keep to her drugstore makeup and dont bother buying her anything again!

oh GOOD god, usually i'm the most easy-going girl in the entire world and bend over backwards for people. well, i'm a college student and live about an hour away from my parents home and miss it because my apt. is teeny and i get claustrophobic in it. ANYWAY, i went home this past weekend to relax. my cousin's friend flew in and the pass across the state was closed due to snow so as soon as she picked him up, she was almost hysterical, etc. i told her i'd let her and him stay at my apt. so i drove BACK up in the middle of the night and even though i seriously have the smallest apt. in the world stayed because she didn't really want him there and it was awkward.

ANYWAY, since this was sudden she forgot all her makeup and i don't think anyone has seen her w/o it since she was 14. (she's 20 now, i'm 21) i was excited to play with my mac with her because i'm a new collector and obsessor. i like to keep my collection neat, organized and in their boxes even though i use a lot of it...i just like the order. i have a system, e/s in this container, msfs in this, etc. she just kept opening them, tossing them in the wrong container, losing the boxes, WRITING A MESSAGE WITH MY EYELINER omg she knew she crossed the line with that (and she was shocked because it takes SO MUCH to push my buttons), and then i left to go back home (i had apointments back home) and told her to go ahead and do whatever. i come back and my makeup is ALL messed up, it was so frustrating. she used the one item i told her not to, probably because i have doubles of it (northern light msf, i accidentally bought one off here and bought one at my cco and was planning a swap with the double) and everything was in dissarray. idk, i know it shouldn't be this big a deal but i'm unusually neat about my expensive makeup. i guess it's the only child syndrome in me.
ssad.gif

Paramnesia

SHE THREW IT OUT!!!!
Omg I'd want to slap some sense into her, like what you said put the broken pieces into another container.
I understand why you'd feel annoyed about that, she was completely rude.

mocha_queen

What an ungrateful little cow!
You could have totally spent that money on yourself...but you did a nice thing and bought her a christmas present!
its courteous to atleast give back something in return or even if one doesnt like the present..not act in the way she did!
sorry that happened to you.