Specktra the devil?!

ralenth

If anything, Specktra increases my buying because it allows me to plan my purchases in advance (hello summer pigments). I also like to see how others implement products that I might not otherwise want to tinker with.

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer
I see those smileys and think of paula abdul.
greengrin.gif

oh.gif
t:Is it just me or is Paula a bit animated this season?

Shawna

Quote:
I see those smileys and think of paula abdul.
greengrin.gif

Not enough lustfull drool on those smileys though
winks.gif

Parishoon

sorry i'm a little late w/ this & mods can delete it if it's not quite on, but
EWWW! Betty, some of the things you've said in the past have rubbed me the wrong way, but i figured, it's the internet, i might be overly sensitive, let it go, but this outburst is beyond outrageous.
I've just gotten back from a very rough overseas assignment, & I can guarantee you that to some women, eyeliner/mascara/eyeshadow is a HUGE luxury & makes them quite happy. Your attitude is what put me off MAC in the past, but since I've been back, I found specktra & there are some lovely MAs (&others) here that gave me hope to try it again. I have spent at least $500 on MAC products in the span of 3 months (& have other $$ already earmarked for upcoming collections), for me that is huge to part w/ that much money on make-up, b/c i've only got one face, some of that was gifts. I am probably the world's biggest enabler & have hooked my friends on a variety of products.
EL doesn't like SPECKTRA/LJ/what not, operate their own site like LUSH does, they control what info gets out, not us.

OH yeah, what's "THE FRIEND?" b/c i wanna avoid undermining somebody's sale b/c i worked retail before & customers would ignore me & go w/ their friends rec, but then come back in a few days to return it.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parishoon
sorry i'm a little late w/ this & mods can delete it if it's not quite on, but
EWWW! Betty, some of the things you've said in the past have rubbed me the wrong way, but i figured, it's the internet, i might be overly sensitive, let it go, but this outburst is beyond outrageous.
I've just gotten back from a very rough overseas assignment, & I can guarantee you that to some women, eyeliner/mascara/eyeshadow is a HUGE luxury & makes them quite happy. Your attitude is what put me off MAC in the past, but since I've been back, I found specktra & there are some lovely MAs (&others) here that gave me hope to try it again. I have spent at least $500 on MAC products in the span of 3 months (& have other $$ already earmarked for upcoming collections), for me that is huge to part w/ that much money on make-up, b/c i've only got one face, some of that was gifts. I am probably the world's biggest enabler & have hooked my friends on a variety of products.
EL doesn't like SPECKTRA/LJ/what not, operate their own site like LUSH does, they control what info gets out, not us.

OH yeah, what's "THE FRIEND?" b/c i wanna avoid undermining somebody's sale b/c i worked retail before & customers would ignore me & go w/ their friends rec, but then come back in a few days to return it.

Ok, I'll explain "The Friend". I want to preface this by saying that I am not accusing anyone on here of being that person. I just thought I would give you guys a peak at the other side of the chair. There are different levels of it, some SAs are more sensitive to it-that's why I think the MA scowled.

The Friend situation happens when a person brings a person in that wants to tell you everything to put on your customer. It could be a husband, mother, sister, or friend. It's not a matter of giving opinions or suggestions. This person will say things like, "I want to see him/her in..." "Do this!" (in a demanding way) "You need to do it this way!" Did you clean her face?" "Girl, you can buy that shit at Wal-Mart!" (sorry, I had to throw that one in, haha). This person begins to take over the situation to the point where the SA feels like they can't do their job.

If I can see a situation where the person I am working with has low self esteem or can't make decisions because their "friend" controls everything that's when I get pissed. Especially when men do it-meaning...When someone comes in and has poor self esteem because the person they are with makes her feel like shit for not looking the way they think she should look.

lara

*sigh*

Every time I feel the stereotype of MUAs being catty so-and-so's has blown over just a little bit, something makes it double and reflects badly on the rest of us.

We're not all like that, I swear. :/

P.S. You know what's worse than The Friend? The Mother-of-the-Bride. Bane of my existance!

Life In Return

Personally, if it weren't for Specktra, I wouldn't have as much MAC as I do. That is how I was introduced to the wonderful world of pigments. Specktra helps their sales quite a bit. I have purchased a lot of things I wouldn't have purchased if I hadn't seen them used on here. So it bothers me that some MAC MAs feel that we are a 'threat' because truthfully, a lot of you guys wouldn't have so many people coming in if it were not for Specktra.

maxcat

Different take on The Friend... Friends are fabulous... it's the Frenemy that's difficult. The Frenemy is usually frightfully insecure but is also usually the one who dragged the client to the counter in the first place. They DO NOT let you help the client or find out what their needs are - they TELL YOU what the client wants and insist they know best while the client looks on in quiet desparation...
Worse, they don't want the client to look better than they do - and usually they do already.
I've had really great experiences with friends - you learn stuff, they learn stuff... it's a great girlfriend experience. And if y'all don't want me involved - that's cool too - am happy to just give q-tips and clean samples and brushes and answer questions while the gals (or guys) mess around...
The best frenemy example was a girl who announced to me she was going to some cosmetics school - and then proceeded to diss everything I said so she could make it look to this poor girl like I didn't know what I was talking about so she could look like a Great Grand Expert. She was putting uncleaned lipstick right on her face, mascara from the displayers... so she didn't have a clue about basic hygiene let alone makeup...
I basically tried to keep the client from catching anything and discouraged the client from buying anything at all because she was uncomfortable and getting bullied.

Lara- Evil Mother of the Bride torture - OMG I feel your pain. You're right. They are the pinnacle of difficult because they need it to be about them.

maxcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicuna1
Seems like it would be an easy commission to me. On the other hand, perhaps they think it is more difficult to upsell to someone that knows exactly what they want. I don't necessarily think this is true, but maybe that is the thinking.
<<snip>>
It was all very effortless for her, took all of 11 minutes and a nice commission including one up sell.

Just one leeeetle teeny thing... MAC artists don't make any sales commissions.
smiles.gif

Okay, maybe in Malaysia (?)... but that was very well put. It's the advent age of the informed consumer and I think it's *great*...

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannette
I actually buy more MAC because of dedicated sites like Specktra which constantly pique my interest.

I enjoy reading the discussion and hearing the good stuff fellow MAC-users have to say about the products. This makes me want to buy MAC!

I so hear you Jeannette! I'm exactly the same, one keeps hearing about all these good products in a brand you don't use and then discovers an online site devoted to such discussion!

On a few occasions, it's meant I could go to a MAC store/counter and say "I would like X, Y & Z" and know that it will suit me, thus allowing the (usually very busy) SAs to attend to others.

Joke

We are def MAC Angels with all the love we have for MAC and all the money we spend!

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcat
Different take on The Friend... Friends are fabulous... it's the Frenemy that's difficult. The Frenemy is usually frightfully insecure but is also usually the one who dragged the client to the counter in the first place. They DO NOT let you help the client or find out what their needs are - they TELL YOU what the client wants and insist they know best while the client looks on in quiet desparation...
Worse, they don't want the client to look better than they do - and usually they do already.
I've had really great experiences with friends - you learn stuff, they learn stuff... it's a great girlfriend experience. And if y'all don't want me involved - that's cool too - am happy to just give q-tips and clean samples and brushes and answer questions while the gals (or guys) mess around...
The best frenemy example was a girl who announced to me she was going to some cosmetics school - and then proceeded to diss everything I said so she could make it look to this poor girl like I didn't know what I was talking about so she could look like a Great Grand Expert. She was putting uncleaned lipstick right on her face, mascara from the displayers... so she didn't have a clue about basic hygiene let alone makeup...
I basically tried to keep the client from catching anything and discouraged the client from buying anything at all because she was uncomfortable and getting bullied.

Lara- Evil Mother of the Bride torture - OMG I feel your pain. You're right. They are the pinnacle of difficult because they need it to be about them.

Exactly! Maxcat = MAC Psychologist.
lol.gif

Perfect explaination.

Isis

lara P.S. You know what's worse than The Friend? The Mother-of-the-Bride. Bane of my existance![/QUOTE said:
OH GOD Especially if they're the mother of a Bride-zilla! I always cringe and grit my teeth everytime I have a wedding make-up consult (and I have one coming up in 2 weeks).

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
*sigh*

Every time I feel the stereotype of MUAs being catty so-and-so's has blown over just a little bit, something makes it double and reflects badly on the rest of us.

We're not all like that, I swear. :/

P.S. You know what's worse than The Friend? The Mother-of-the-Bride. Bane of my existance!

After spending a great deal of time working in the bridal industry I will completely. Wholly. Totally. 100000000%. Absolutely. Incontrovertably. Inarguably. agree with this statement.
MOB's ... *bangs head* ... the bride will have FOUND HER DRESS and it's B E A YOOTIFUL on her, and I'm talking to her and working with her, I was NEVER a high pressure salesperson, I didn't have to be, I managed the store, I was salaried, I made NO bones about this I made NO secret of it, hell the owners of the store did too...but the bride would be GLOWING...and mommy would freak out over a hanging bead.
One.
Hanging.
Bead.
out of several thousand on the dress.
GAAAAAEEEEERRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

[/endrant]

Ok. Back to regularly scheduled programming.
greengrin.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis
OH GOD Especially if they're the mother of a Bride-zilla! I always cringe and grit my teeth everytime I have a wedding make-up consult (and I have one coming up in 2 weeks).

I swear I must have been like the most mellow bride in the world.
My flowers were wrong, my mother was late, the innkeepers were horrid, my cake wasn't right, THE PREACHER WAS DRUNK AND SWEATING AND COMPLETELY MESSED UP OUR VOWS, it alternately rained and sunshined, bugs kept getting caught in the tulle of my dress, my hair fell, the webcast of my ceremony was cancelled so my brother overseas didn't get to see it, and of all of this only the last part was upsetting. Other than that, even leading up to the event, I was like la la laaa I'm getting married to the man I love la la laaaaa.
icon_eek.gif

Isis

Quote:
My flowers were wrong, my mother was late, the innkeepers were horrid, my cake wasn't right, THE PREACHER WAS DRUNK AND SWEATING AND COMPLETELY MESSED UP OUR VOWS, it alternately rained and sunshined, bugs kept getting caught in the tulle of my dress, my hair fell, the webcast of my ceremony was cancelled so my brother overseas didn't get to see it, and of all of this only the last part was upsetting.

Lord! You poor thing!! I don't know how you kept cool through all of that...but you deserved a medal.

Shimmer

eh, not a big deal to me. The ultimate result was that a) we are married, b)we've got PHENOMENAL memories of the day that make us both laugh and shake our heads, and c) we have pics/vid of me stopping the dude, telling him how to fix it, him sweating profusely, and STILL jacking the vows up.
greengrin.gif

I just wish my brother could have seen it. Several guys from his platoon as well as he worked 31 hours straight so they could have the day off for viewing my wedding while in Taquddam, and because the innkeepers were douchebags, it didn't happen.
ssad.gif

Isis

Those are the most imortaint parts, definitely! It is actually pretty funny to imagine happening though
greengrin.gif
But you really must have an amazing sense of humor!
That's sad about your brother and his friends missing it after putting that kind of time in. I'd be pretty upset too if my brother missed mine for any reason.

Shimmer

Mine didn't have a choice, which I dealt with. But when I found out the webcast was cancelled, and I read my brother's blog the next day, I cried.
ssad.gif