Spending a day in Montreal - What to do there?

leenybeeny

Hi everyone! Hubby and I are going to Mt Tremblant for Easter weekend, but we will be spending Good Friday in Montreal. I am hoping that because it's touristy that most places will be open on the holiday.

I would love some suggestions as for some fun things to see and do, as well as great places to eat. Our bed and Breakfast is just off Albert Street, but we will have a car so we have a lot of options.

And actually, if you know of anything fun for me to do in Mt Tremblant while the hubby ski's, that would be great too
smiles.gif

Thanks!!

Shadowy Lady

hey I haven't been to Mtl for a long time, but definitely check out the shops in St Hubert. You will find pretty unique items there. I know everyone goes to St Catherine, but I find St Hubert to be the gem of Mtl. If you're staying the night, the Mtl party scene is great. I like the place called Tokyo Bar
smiles.gif

jennyfee

Definitely go sight see downtown Montréal and at the old port... It's really beautiful! If the weather isn't nice u can also go see an IMAX movie there :p hehe although I doubt u will want to go see a movie when u can walk around Montréal

user79

I used to live in Montreal for a number of years. I'd do some shopping downtown and then go to the Old Port in the afternoon, then go out at night around St. Laurent street, lots of restaurants around there as well.

If you want to go to a nice restaurant, I liked Misto for some nice Italian cuisine, it's in the Plateau area which is more french and quite trendy.
Restaurant le Misto du plateau mont-royal, montral

Or L'Express for a typical Parisian bistro
L'Express | Restaurant Review | Montreal | Frommers.com

For breakfast hit up any "Chez Cora" joint for lots of great stuff.

Here's lots of restaurant reviews:
montrealfood.com: Home

Willa

If you come by the olympic stadium, tell me, I work there and live 15 min by feet from there also.

I'd suggest to go downtown (metro Mc Gill and Peel), it's great for shopping
If you prefer something more touristic, the old port is a winner, great restaurants there but pricey. Like MissChievous said, the Plateau (metro Mont-Royal) is great for that, lots of little shops and restaurants, great people there
yes.gif

In Mont-Tremblant, make sure you go to the Christmas shop!
It's sooo cute!
Don't forget to take a beaver tail, cinamon and sugar is the best
drools.gif

Mabelle

oh yes the xmas shop! I'm a christmas a holic. Seriously, its a problem. I was just thinking today " I wish it was christmas!". The shop is VERY cute. Also, Rocky Mountain Chocolate factory. The hot chocolate mix is wonderful. I'm not a coffe drinker, so i stock pile this stugg year round... actually im going to make some now.
OH FYI there's a MAC pro store on St Denis and on ST Laurent. I duno where the one on st denis is, but the one on st laurent is a couple blocks from the st laurent metro... maybe 6-10 blocks uphill.

leenybeeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
If you come by the olympic stadium, tell me, I work there and live 15 min by feet from there also.

I'd suggest to go downtown (metro Mc Gill and Peel), it's great for shopping
If you prefer something more touristic, the old port is a winner, great restaurants there but pricey. Like MissChievous said, the Plateau (metro Mont-Royal) is great for that, lots of little shops and restaurants, great people there
yes.gif

In Mont-Tremblant, make sure you go to the Christmas shop!
It's sooo cute!
Don't forget to take a beaver tail, cinamon and sugar is the best
drools.gif

Cool beans! I will let you know for sure. Will much be open on Good Friday? I am assuming so since Montreal is very touristy?

I LOVE Beaver Tails... yummmmmmm

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
downtown, i imagine so. Maybe ot some of the smaller family run shops though.

Yeah, downtown should be oppened
winks.gif

sharkbytes

Oooh I love Montreal! There's a really cool planetarium there, and if you're in the mood to hit up the bars, Sir Winston Churchill's is really fun.

Deolinda

Check out Old Montreal and the Old Port. Everything should be open.
For shopping, take a walk down Ste-Catherine Street.
For dinning or Clubing, check out St-Laurent Street, north of Sherbrooke St. or you can stay closer to downtown and go to Crescent Street.
The MAC pro store on St-Laurent is now closed, it moved to St-Denis St. near Rachel St.

Have fun!
Bienvenue à Montreal!

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deolinda
The MAC pro store on St-Laurent is now closed, it moved to St-Denis St. near Rachel St.

Have fun!
Bienvenue à Montreal!

Wow that's an odd location for it! Weird. I used to live 2 blocks away from the old pro store location
th_DANCE.gif

Mabelle

it's closed? aww man! Is it close to a metro? I don't go downtown too often, but i know that the old one was really easy to get to...

Deolinda

It's Between Sherbrooke and Mont-Royal. It's a short walk from Mont-Royal or Sherbrooke Metro stations.

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deolinda
It's Between Sherbrooke and Mont-Royal. It's a short walk from Mont-Royal or Sherbrooke Metro stations.

Thanks for the info, I guess all the street renovations didnt help to stay open?

Now it's more on the Plateau, maybe they want to focus on a new clientele