Still Unsure About My Foundation/Concealer Color...What Can I Do?

uniquelydivine

So everybody knows that I have been here SO many times asking for color advice. Well I'm Back...I keep going back to MAC stores and everytime I go, they tell me I'm a different color. I'm really tired and I dont know what to do!
hmm.gif

I have a yellow undertone (when I look at the veins in my forearm, they are green), and the MA also told me that I'm in the "NC" category. As most of you know, NC55 is the darkest color, but its a little too light on my face. So they tried the NW's, but they have a pink undertone, and since my face is golden yellow (beige) under, the NW's look funny once applied. So I don't know what to do
th_confused_new.gif

Is there anyone that can help me about the color advice and what I can do to get the right color for my skin? At first I thought I was a NW45, but that's not the case. My pic may not show an accurate skin color so y'all shouldn't really rely on that.

My graduation is May 11 & 12 and Oprah's going to be the speaker so I need to get some makeup asap in order to look good!
smiles.gif

I hope y'all can help! Thanks!

P.S. I ONLY WANT TO BUY/USE MAC MAKEUP! SO IF ANYONE HAS SUGGESTIONS OF WHAT I CAN USE IN MAC ONLY IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL! THANKS!

Ambi

Not sure how it would work with darker skin but you could try an NC powder with an NW foundation to neutralize/"balance" the pinkness of the foundation, it works for some people. But if it's that much trouble, maybe try another brand?

uniquelydivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambi
Not sure how it would work with darker skin but you could try an NC powder with an NW foundation to neutralize/"balance" the pinkness of the foundation, it works for some people. But if it's that much trouble, maybe try another brand?

I LOVE MAC! I SOLD MY SOUL TO MAC! LOL! WELL I DIDN'T BUT I REALLY DO LOVE MAC! I'M VERY PICKY WITH MAKEUP AND I WOULD LIKE TO STICK WITH MAC, SO THAT'S WHY I'M TRYING TO FIND EVERY WAY POSSIBLE TO MAKE THINGS WORK. I KNOW IN THE MAC STORE THEY CAN WORK WITH ME BUT I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT THE SPECKTRA FAMILY WOULD RECOMMEND FOR ME. I DON'T WANT ANY OTHER BRANDS B/C I DON'T THINK THEIR QUALITY IS AS GOOD AS MAC'S. THANKS THOUGH!

KeshieShimmer

Ahh Oprah's speaking cool! I would try a different brand. Iman has some lovely colors and good coverage. The Earth tones might be good for you. They are cooler in undertones. The second to none foundation feels so good! You can still love MAC and get another foundation. Plus you'll be saving money with Iman. They sell it at select (ie where the most black people are at) Targets, Wallgreens, or CVS.

uniquelydivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeshieShimmer
Ahh Oprah's speaking cool! I would try a different brand. Iman has some lovely colors and good coverage. The Earth tones might be good for you. They are cooler in undertones. The second to none foundation feels so good! You can still love MAC and get another foundation. Plus you'll be saving money with Iman. They sell it at select (ie where the most black people are at) Targets, Wallgreens, or CVS.

I rather stay with MAC. Target, CVS, etc. stuff tend to make me break out quickly and they do not provide any coverage. I have very sensitive skin and MAC has caused no irritations and does wonders covering all the marks on my face. Thanks though!

Macnarsandlove

I definatly feel you on the whole MAC monogomy thing. And I have been told I'm nc45,50 and nw43(???). I can tell you to stay away from studio fix powder unless you are extremely oily cause it can look ashy. I would try the studio fix conealor cause you skin doent look uneven and the great msf natural in deep dark. I have a lot of uneveness and acne scars and using the concealor with the powder can give pretty good natural coverage. I really cant say enought about msf natural. I bought 3 backups before it was perm. And I even "sold" it twice to some fellow mac customers hanging around the counter*end rant*.

yummy411

hi!
i understand your undying love for MAC products, as i'm a MAC junkie also, but if you've tried a number of times and still can't find anything that works for you... sorry to say, trying something else is probably best for you. My friend uses Iman pressed powder and it works lovely on her... it's reasonably priced. so i'm sure a test run wouldn't hurt. if you don't like it, you can take it back. have you seen anyone else with your skin tone with flawless makeup and asked what brand of makeup/products they use??

from MAC, i love the mineralize satin finish liquid foundation. i started with MAC's mineralize skin finish. that was the easiest product to sell to me, because it looked so natural and soft. good luck!

how jealous i am of you all that Oprah will be your speaker... any spare graduation tix for a guest????
cutey.gif
Congrats on your upcoming graduation. take pics to share with us.

Beauty Mark

I don't understand brand loyalty if the product isn't working for you. I love Urban Decay, but they don't carry a foundation that really works for me.

If your skin is sensitive, I think Prescriptives isn't bad for your skin, and they custom blend, so if they don't have your shade, you can get it mixed.

yummy411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I don't understand brand loyalty if the product isn't working for you. I love Urban Decay, but they don't carry a foundation that really works for me.

If your skin is sensitive, I think Prescriptives isn't bad for your skin, and they custom blend, so if they don't have your shade, you can get it mixed.

i always forget about prescriptives, but i agree! thanks for reminding me too..

uniquelydivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy411
hi!
i understand your undying love for MAC products, as i'm a MAC junkie also, but if you've tried a number of times and still can't find anything that works for you... sorry to say, trying something else is probably best for you. My friend uses Iman pressed powder and it works lovely on her... it's reasonably priced. so i'm sure a test run wouldn't hurt. if you don't like it, you can take it back. have you seen anyone else with your skin tone with flawless makeup and asked what brand of makeup/products they use??

from MAC, i love the mineralize satin finish liquid foundation. i started with MAC's mineralize skin finish. that was the easiest product to sell to me, because it looked so natural and soft. good luck!

how jealous i am of you all that Oprah will be your speaker... any spare graduation tix for a guest????
cutey.gif
Congrats on your upcoming graduation. take pics to share with us.

Thanks! I really appreciate it! They are only giving 2 tickets for graduation! Sorry, I wish I could give you one! But I will try to track down Oprah and get some pics!

oracle1

I'm sorry sweetie but I agree with the others. You are probably going to have to try another brand. My girl friend is having the exact same problem. She is the in the NC50-55 range, but MAC just does not work for her. She uses Iman & Black Opal. I myself have problems with NC45. I use MAC NC45 Select Cover-up and Clinique 05 Stay Spice Pressed Powder. Most of the NC45 products just don't work for me. Good Luck!

MACaholic76

I somewhat agree and disagree with other posters regarding loyalty to MAC. I've tried just about EVERY foundation out there only to come back to MAC cuz they are the only ones that carry a good match for my golden skintone without it being super yellow or super pink. Prescriptives is a close 2nd BUT all their foundations give me a terrible reaction. I would also not shut down the idea of trying Iman or Bobbi Brown foundations, which both have good matches for deeper warm skintones.
But if you must stick with MAC, how bout getting a shade of concealer to even out your skintone rather than applying foundation all over? What type of coverage are you seeking anyway?

Beauty Mark

Quote:
I somewhat agree and disagree with other posters regarding loyalty to MAC. I've tried just about EVERY foundation out there only to come back to MAC cuz they are the only ones that carry a good match for my golden skintone without it being super yellow or super pink.

If MAC is literally the only make-up that comes close to your skin tone, I agree with using it or being creative in using it.

However, I don't think one should be sold on using only one brand of makeup if there are unexplored options that may do the job right.

Twinkle_Twinkle

I think it may be time to let MAC go, at least when it comes to foundation. I'm going to suggest Prescriptives Custom Blend. If you really want something that is going to match you perfectly, that is it. I love Custom Blend.

twobear

Bobbi Brown and Clinque make great foundations for darker skin tones. I LOVE Mac but they don't work with my yellow undertone. Prescriptives is also great and they will color match to your exact skin color.
You can cheat a little..Just come back home to MAC!!

triccc

I would definitely try another brand. I have a similar problem with foundation matching with the mac colors. with the studio stick i was an nw15, but the liquid I am not. It's to dark. weird? yes.

I had to resort to another brand and I don't regret it. It's ok to shop around!

MAC_Pixie04

Honestly, it's okay to love MAC, but if it's not working for you, you'll really need to branch out and find something that will. I used to feel that way about it, until it started to break me out and make me look orange in photos. Studio Fix powder could make you look a bit ashy, it's also not an oil free makeup, so if you are oily, it may not be your best bed. I agree that SFF does dry a little darker than the others, I used it and I noticd a difference in the color.
My recommendations are Stila, Make Up For Ever, Clinique, and CARGO, they all have a really excellent range of foundations, and tons of formulas, except for Cargo, they only have a wet/dry powder and an oil free liquid, but both are approved for all skin types, especially sensitive and oily ones.

No offense, but it's a little bit ridiculous to be so "dedicated" to one brand of makeup that you would risk wearing the wrong color foundation. I mean, how many are gonna look at your face and go "Oooh MAC foundation!" it's really unlikely. Nobody will know but you, and you're not hurting MAC or yourself; you're hurting yourself by trying to get a makeup that you know isn't going to work for you.

capellanadea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04

No offense, but it's a little bit ridiculous to be so "dedicated" to one brand of makeup that you would risk wearing the wrong color foundation. I mean, how many are gonna look at your face and go "Oooh MAC foundation!" it's really unlikely. Nobody will know but you, and you're not hurting MAC or yourself; you're hurting yourself by trying to get a makeup that you know isn't going to work for you.

You couldn't have said it better!
smiles.gif

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
I think it may be time to let MAC go, at least when it comes to foundation. I'm going to suggest Prescriptives Custom Blend. If you really want something that is going to match you perfectly, that is it. I love Custom Blend.

Twinkle_Twinkle -- Agree with you, 110%.
clap.gif
Sometimes you have to give it up and turn it loose. Currently, I use Black Radiance, but they discontinued my shade
weeping.gif
, so I am going to check out I-Man @ Ulta.