sucked into the hype??

MoGiselle

So I become a MAC lover back in january and was pretty naive about certain products that would work for me. I was sucked into the hype of buying products because I knew that everyone wanted it. I was more interested in buying the product because other people wanted instead of me wanted to use the products. So what were some items from MAC collections that you were sucked into buying?
I was sucked into

Stereo Rose MSF - it was pretty but once i got it I wasnt wowed

Jazzed l/s- on my NC50 skintone, it looked like i was on barbie pink glue on yuck!

I learned my lesson with these items, I no longer buy products because I know everyone wants it.

Lyssah

Maybe I'm lucky but I haven't ever purchased a hyped product that I haven't used regularly. I tend to always just buy what I want.

katred

Specktra Bestie
I've never bought a product strictly because other people wanted it, but I did make a point of going to the store the day of the launch for a few collections, so that I could determine whether or not I wanted certain "hot" products. The ones that jump to mind are Stereo Rose, Marine Life and Bite of an Apple. All three descriptions and swatches appealed to me, so I went to test them right away, knowing they'd be sold out soon. I've not had any regretes about those.

On the other hand, when I went to see the VV collection, I also looked at Bad Fairy, which I knew was going to sell out quickly, but decided not to go for it. Knowing that something is going to sell out isn't enough to make me buy it when I'm not sure I'll really like/ use it, just enough to make me be quick about find out whether I really want it or not.

Mercurial

Spiced Chocolate quad from Cult of Cherry was probably the main, Petticoat MSF also. The quad is not my favourite and it is something I rarely use which is a waste, and Petticoat is okay but wasn't really worth the hype!

nychick1384

I try to always make a list of things from new collections that I'm interested in from new MAC collections, then I try to go to my local counter the day of or after the launch and decide if it's something I really want. Luckily it hasn't happened with MAC...yet, but in the past I have purchased things and never really used them. Thinking back on it irritates me how much money I spent on junk that I never used just because it was pretty at the time.
bangdesk.gif

TropicalXO

Don't buy things based off of hype, it's honestly sickening to me when I buy makeup I never use cause it looks bad on me or it's not really my everyday style. I have to either sell, swap, or give it away or it kills me to look at it lol. Luckily I'm over that, but I did waste a bit of money learning the hard way. I've never bought a hyped up collection item, but I have bought some makeup item's that were listed by my fav models/celebs and hated how they looked on me. Thats another bad thing to do lol.

banana1234

i think the only thing i have bought and regret buying was the cream blushes from the lily pulitzer or whatever her name is collection, the only one i still use is joy de vivre or what ever it is called, the rest do not get used

Caderas

The only thing I can remember is back in the day.. I caved in and bought Pink Cabana lipstick. So long ago I can't even remember the collection!

LMD84

honestly i dont let the hype affect me that much. sure i start to question myself and i still think about marine life. but realistically i know i don't even like it that much when the golden overspary has gone. so it would be pointless me owning it!

Caderas

That's exactly how I am over hyped products.. I definitely was that way with Marine Life as well!
greengrin.gif

Meisje

I only ever buy what I want, and I only buy stuff that suits me. It's been a tough year financially so I don't really have a high-end makeup budget.

Anytime I feel like buying something I can't afford, I just make myself go look in my Coastal Scents 78 Palette (and the rest of my small collection --- small by Specktra standards, considerable by non-makeup-enthusiast standards) and if I have anything remotely like it, I feel satisfied.

Shadowy Lady

I have been hyped about stuff in the past, but not within the last two years. I've been into makeup way too long so I know what works and what doesn't. I also have enough to last me more than my own lifetime so I never feel like I should get something just coz it's hot. I prob have other similar products.

sss215

I usually don't buy the more popular items because most of them don't match my skintone. One rare case was the bite of an apple blush. I didn't buy it because it was hyped about, i got it because its beautiful on.

I swatch everything first. Not because its hyped, but to see what it looks like on me. for my $$ these items add up too fast to be buying for the hype. i usually get hyped when a collection comes out because new colors excite me. i like to see what the next step for MAC collections is going to be.

kittykit

I don't usually buy popular items. I always go to the store to try the colours on me before buying them.

Susanne

Maybe I'm lucky but I haven't ever purchased a hyped product that I haven't used regularly. I tend to always just buy what I want.

iagree.gif
I haven't regret a MAC product yet - and I have a lot
winks.gif
But just what I really like.

GlamQueen21

I try not to lure myself into hyped products but end up buying them just for the hype! There are times I try to resist the hype but it ends up consuming my mind and I go back and forth about purchasing it or not. I don't regret any of my MAC purchases yet since the items that I've bought from 2008 to now is what I'm satisfied with.

Dekadencija

This years regret comes down to dare to ware lipgloss in Gimme that! It just isn't working for me. Tryed it once, never wore it outside. Ban this! I like better but I'm still not crazy about the texture of this glosses, I don't like them sticky. I don't mind if they last much shorter because of it...