Suggestions for Companies that make nice matte nail polishes

Ursula

Anyone got any suggestions for where to find true 'no shine' nail laquers? I can't seem to find any. Or even low shine. I've read butter london but the cost is prohibitive.

BEA2LS

OPI has a line of matte, i believe it comes out in september? i am sure they will be great, as OPI rarely dissapoints.. if they are a bit pricey for you, perhaps you could invest in a matte top coat and wear it over the colors that you have?

Ursula

Thanks ladies. I think I'll look for a matte topcoat as you suggested. I don't like the chalky consistancy either. I've found the only mattes I see are in bright colors and I'm looking for something a bit more sophisticated and understated.

gildedangel

I am going to go but Essie's matte top coat; mattes are chalky and hard to work with, and I suck at applying nail polish right without clean up!

starbucksmocha

You ladies beat me to it, I was just going to suggest "Matte About You". I think it would be more versatile than specific matte polishes. HTH

Pandor@

As smn has already said:

Essie's MAY (=Matte About You) is your HG for making any colour you want truly MATTE!
th_worship.gif

>>> clicky-clicky <<<

I find this a billion times better than a plain matte nail polish.
thmbup.gif

Ursula

Yeah, I can totally see how that would be awesome. Hoping I can pick some up at Ulta later today! Thanks ladies.

MK09

I agree Essie "Matte About You" is much better then spending a fortune on different Matte polishes.With "Matte About You not only will it transform any polish "Essie or not" into a perfect Matte polish.But you can also use a base coat and moisturizer which other Matte polishes advise against because it ruins the Matte affect.With Essie you can still moisturizer and use your base coat and it doesn't affect the matte-ness at all.Plus you can play with it.You can give yourself a half matte have regular french.You can really be creative with it.

Ursula

I got it! The Essie one and I totally love it! I went to a party tonight and all the women wanted to know how I'd done it. They'll all be blitzing Ulta tomorrow! Thanks so much ladies, I saved a ton by buying this one product.

InspiredBlue

Thanks for starting this thread Ursula. I was browsing around looking at polishes today, and I feel like I want something matte, but the colors in OPI' matte range are so boring. I need to find me some Essie MAY!
smiles.gif

Ursula

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
Thanks for starting this thread Ursula. I was browsing around looking at polishes today, and I feel like I want something matte, but the colors in OPI' matte range are so boring. I need to find me some Essie MAY!
smiles.gif

You're welcome. I am just so astounded by how well the 'matte about you' works. If I had any complaints, it would be that I'd like to have a product that was half way in between in terms of 'amount' of matte. You know, like the difference between flat and eggshell in home dec paint. A very slight sheen would be cool.

But, after wearing the Matte About You for two days now, there is a slight sheen developing which tells me you could slightly buff a light shine into with one of those buffing bars you get at the Elements Body Co. kiosks.

franken_stein

I think Zoya looks really pretty, but I usually try to avoid online shopping if possible, just because of shipping costs. Has anyone ever managed to find a retailer that sells Zoya? On their website they have a retail locator, but no love for me yet.

Ursula

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken_stein
I think Zoya looks really pretty, but I usually try to avoid online shopping if possible, just because of shipping costs. Has anyone ever managed to find a retailer that sells Zoya? On their website they have a retail locator, but no love for me yet.

Depending on where you are buying from, online shopping can be cheaper if: the company offers a free shipping policy, they don't charge tax because they're in a different state from you, or if the tax you'd pay is higher than the cost of shipping. Often, it's not nearly as bad as you might think.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenybeeny
Does anyone know where I can get Essie's Matte About you in Ontario? I can't find it
ssad.gif

Hey Kathleen
smiles.gif
I find mine at a Trade Secret in one of the Ottawa malls. I'm sure you can find it at any Trade Secret in TO as well

leenybeeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
Hey Kathleen
smiles.gif
I find mine at a Trade Secret in one of the Ottawa malls. I'm sure you can find it at any Trade Secret in TO as well

Awesome! Of course I went into Sephora at the mall the other day and totally forgot about Trade Secrets... guess I will have to go back.. oh darn
winks.gif
Thanks so much!

shatteredshards

I, for one, actually can't find Essie Matte About You at my local Ulta - they don't even have a spot on the shelf for it.

However, for anyone who may be browsing this thread, China Glaze is releasing Matte Magic (which I'm picking up at Sally Beauty Supply tomorrow morning), which finishes the same and retails cheaper; $6.50 versus the $10 Essie Matte is in most places.

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredshards
I, for one, actually can't find Essie Matte About You at my local Ulta - they don't even have a spot on the shelf for it.

However, for anyone who may be browsing this thread, China Glaze is releasing Matte Magic (which I'm picking up at Sally Beauty Supply tomorrow morning), which finishes the same and retails cheaper; $6.50 versus the $10 Essie Matte is in most places.

$10? I got my MAY on ebay, including shipping to Europe, for less than that.
th_wink3.gif