Suspected fake pigments @ discount.makeup.com (long, pic-heavy)

wordgirl

I have held off on reporting this because when I talked to the folks at makeup.com they seemed very sincerely concerned about the authenticity of their product. However, I've been watching their website and I haven't seen any signs that they pulled the suspect colors. In fact, they have added more colors. Some may well be authentic. And others here may say I'm being too cautious about their authenticity. But for now, order from that store with caution.

To be fair, they quickly refunded my money when I complained and did not ask me to return the GWP that they sent me.

The fake colors I received are: Green Brown, Emerald Green and Deep Purple. If you're willing to just take my word for it, this is all you need to read; otherwise read on.

All three pigments were uniformly frosty with a strange, thick, "creamy" texture. This was the biggest tip-off to me; unfortunately, it's downright impossible to photograph. The cardboard in all three boxes is definitely thinner and less glossy than the cardboard in my legitimate boxes. I did not swatch Emerald Green because I do not have a "control" sample to compare it to, but its box and jar lead to me to believe it is also fake. Also, it doesn't match common descriptions of Emerald Green, as a satiny green base with silver twinkles.

Here are two shots of the swatches. In each picture, Copperized (which is very similar to the fake) comes first, then the fake Green Brown, then a real Green Brown (This is a sample I personally obtained at a Pro store.) Next is Deep Purple. The first is the authentic, the second the fake. I did another swatch of Deep Purple to get a better idea of the difference, but it was elusive to photograph.

pigswatch1-1.jpg

pigswatch2.jpg

Here is another sample of the fake and real Deep Purples. Note the BLUE twinkles in the fake:
deeppurple.jpg

Here is a comparison of the stickers on the bottoms of the jars: (Gold Metal, which I bought at a Pro store, is used for comparison)
jarbottom-1.jpg

The jars laid on their sides to show the difference in height:
pig2-1.jpg

And finally, a shot of the tops of the boxes (I used Quick Frost for a box comparison because I had it handy; that box was purchased by me from a MAC counter.):
boxtop1.jpg

I am really bummed to be reporting this because I've always had such good experiences with makeup.com. And they seemed very certain that their supplier was giving them good product. However, I felt it only fair to warn people.

I should also note that I ordered shadows from them (Rose Blanc, Romp, Stars And Rockets) I haven't yet had the heart to inspect them more closely to see if they are fake as well.

If there's anything I should have done differently here, or if anyone disagrees with my analysis, please let me know - I'm still a bit nervous about posting this! I never would have known to question these if not for the wealth of valuable info I've found here.

panda0410

Thank-you!! More evidence to support our suspicions in the recent lot/batch of fake colours - Green Brown and Deep Purple were two of the first reported, along with Deep Blue Green. Also have a look at your lids - they are probably quite shiny compared to real lids as well
winks.gif

wordgirl

Panda0410, you're right. You can kind of tell in the picture; the difference in the jar lids is subtle but it's there.

As for the Tootsies, I was trying to take the picture and the jars were rolling all over the place. There are bowls of those Tootsie Rolls all over the house - I love'em better'n the chocolate ones (except for the blue petroleum vanilla-flavored ones, those are foul.) And so I just grabbed a couple, mooshed 'em into wedges and used them to hold the jars in place.
smiles.gif
Even so, they wouldn't line up perfectly or it would be easier to see the difference in jar height and logo placement.

I have to say, the people at makeup.com seemed to really believe these pigments were authentic. I firmly believe that many reputable merchants are getting rooked in because channels that they had come to rely on as safe have been infiltrated by fakers. And that leads me to believe that MAC has never been quite as cautious about its product distribution as it has always claimed to be. I know I've bought MAC from makeup.com before, and I'd bet my entire pigment collection that it was authentic.

panda0410

I think that there are a lot of honest sellers who have been genuinely duped.... however, sellers still have a responsibility to check what they are selling before they list it for sale. This may present a problem in logistics of course if there are hundreds of items to check, but it doesnt absolve their responsibility in ensuring that their items are genuine.
Pigments are KNOWN to be faked so there is no excuse for not checking those, especially if they dont come directly from MAC, and too many of them dont. Sellers who buy wholesale are not stupid people they - they know its not coming directly from mac because dont do wholesale, so they also know there is a risk that it could well be counterfeit.

I am glad that you got refunded though - at least that shows some integrity on their part
smiles.gif

Xqueeze_me

NOW I get the tootsie rolls joke.. hehe Don't be nervous about posting these sort of analysis/comparison here. We love them! The more the better.
winks.gif

Thanks for the heads up re fake pigments from discount.makeup.com, wordgirl! I have done a comparison for Deep Purple and it was a pain in the rear to photograph the pigment difference when swatched. However, I was able to get a "difference" shot. I hope it'll help!
yes.gif

Swatch2.jpg

The counterfeit is just.. blah with just white sheen whereas the authentic Deep Purple has the purple sheen.

hhunt2

I ordered 3 e/s from that website. And I've called and emailed them numerious times but they never reply back.

So I wasted $40.00

wordgirl

Xqueeze_me, the goddess-empress of fake MAC detecting!
smiles.gif
I think my fake deep purple might be from a different batch, it has a purple frost to it but definitely lacks the black undertone and interference of the real deal. The main interference note is blue (though it's not as obvious). But the real tipoff is the texture - almost creamy, very thick. I have never seen a legit pigment in this texture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhunt2
I ordered 3 e/s from that website. And I've called and emailed them numerious times but they never reply back.

So I wasted $40.00

I did live chat, if that helps. I'm really sorry about your bad experience!

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordgirl
Xqueeze_me, the goddess-empress of fake MAC detecting!
smiles.gif
I think my fake deep purple might be from a different batch, it has a purple frost to it but definitely lacks the black undertone and interference of the real deal. The main interference note is blue (though it's not as obvious). But the real tipoff is the texture - almost creamy, very thick. I have never seen a legit pigment in this texture.

I did live chat, if that helps. I'm really sorry about your bad experience!

That made me laugh!! Thank you.
blush-anim-cl.gif
My MAC detecting only go as far as pigments and eyeshadows but who knows.. I *might* get into the whole MAC range?! God help me.
winks.gif
The lovely Specktrettes, including yourself, helped as well so I can't take all the credit.

As for the Deep Purple you have, the batch number is A14, the fake Deep Purple I have is also A14 and the authentic Deep Purple I have is also A14. haha!