Swatches differ from product?

aziajs

When I swatched Gold Dusk pigment at my counter I thought it was soooo pretty. I nice rich buttery yellow. I went to another counter to buy it and when I got it home it looked so different. It wasn't as beautiful. The same thing happened with Sunny Daze. It was a beautiful icy taupe color at the counter. I bought it at another counter and got it home and now it's more of a champagne color. I swatched it against Goldenaire, All That Glitters and the champagne shade from the Smashbox Beam trio and they are all really close. I am so bummed.
ssad.gif
:confused:
ssad.gif
:confused:

aziajs

Yeah....I thought about that but it's such a huge difference, especially with Sunny Daze. It's a real disappointment.

cyens

Well actually, before buying something, I swatch it on my hand and walk outside to see in on natural light. Sometimes also wait a couple hours and see how the color change with time.

Well I had a problem similar to this... I go to the counter and the e/s are creamy and buttery texture, + very pigmented. Then I get home, and my eye shadow is more chalky the the one at the counter. Happend to me with dove feathe, quarry and mink pink... cant think for an other one...
But everytime I go to the counter im suprise how better pigmented & less chalky quarry is compaired to mine....

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyens
Well actually, before buying something, I swatch it on my hand and walk outside to see in on natural light. Sometimes also wait a couple hours and see how the color change with time.

Well I had a problem similar to this... I go to the counter and the e/s are creamy and buttery texture, + very pigmented. Then I get home, and my eye shadow is more chalky the the one at the counter. Happend to me with dove feathe, quarry and mink pink... cant think for an other one...
But everytime I go to the counter im suprise how better pigmented & less chalky quarry is compaired to mine....

I know what you mean. This has happened with NARS shadows I have gotten. I summed it up to the oils in people's fingers transfer to the shadow when they test it and makes it creamer.

mac_goddess

I hate shopping the counters with poor lighting. I can't figure out why a makeup counter, above all counters can put up with it.

I avoid those on purpose.
smiles.gif

PrettyKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
I know what you mean. This has happened with NARS shadows I have gotten. I summed it up to the oils in people's fingers transfer to the shadow when they test it and makes it creamer.

That's exactly the reason why they seems to be creamy and less powdery! (Grooooooosssss)

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Really short answer: different lighting.

*Cheering* THANK YOU!! Very simple answer that I don't understand why people don't think of...

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACGoddess
*Cheering* THANK YOU!! Very simple answer that I don't understand why people don't think of...

Probably because of all places people assume that cosmetic counters have good lighting so things like this wouldn't be an issue.

lara

Nope, cosmetics counters have the trickiest lighting, with either blue-based 'daylight' fluorescents (typical lighting at a MAC counter) or extra soft yellow-based bulbs (usually Chanel or other older-orientated counters).

Always look at your swatches in daylight or under regular store lights (best place is in the ladies intimates area), then you'll know what the make-up will look like at home.

litlaur

Both of the malls I regularly shop at have skylights, so I don't even walk outside to check it in daylight
winks.gif

aziajs

Quote:
Nope, cosmetics counters have the trickiest lighting, with either blue-based 'daylight' fluorescents (typical lighting at a MAC counter) or extra soft yellow-based bulbs (usually Chanel or other older-orientated counters).

Always look at your swatches in daylight or under regular store lights (best place is in the ladies intimates area), then you'll know what the make-up will look like at home.

That's good to know.

koolkatz

Quote:
Probably because of all places people assume that cosmetic counters have good lighting so things like this wouldn't be an issue.

Good lighting to make you BUY things...

koolkatz

Quote:

I thought lighting in intimate areas, etc., was supposed to be very unnatural to minimize flaws and stress when trying on clothes revealing a lot of skin?

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkatz
I thought lighting in intimate areas, etc., was supposed to be very unnatural to minimize flaws and stress when trying on clothes revealing a lot of skin?

Not in the fitting rooms, but in the intimate stock display area. It's designed to show the colours of the knickers and bras accurately with a faint warm daylight cast, giving you a vague idea of what the colours are going to look like on caucasian skin.
smiles.gif

I used to design retail floor displays, and different lighting plays a big part in retail psychology. Next time you're in a high end store, go and have a look at all the different lights in the different sections. Jewellers are a really good example of this - different metals have different tinted halogen lights on their displays, mens watches and womens watches are usually lit differently, etc etc etc.
smiles.gif

pugmommy7

Quote:

as gross as this sounds, I think you got it right on.
I swatched the blue from patternmaker today, and did so a few weeks ago and it seemed much creamier and vibrant today. 'got a good chace to gather up some grease
winks.gif

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkatz

It's funny cuz I think dressing rooms have the WORST lighting in the world. I see every dimple, stretch mark, ripple, scar, hair on my body. I hate dressing rooms.

koolkatz

Quote:
Not in the fitting rooms, but in the intimate stock display area. It's designed to show the colours of the knickers and bras accurately with a faint warm daylight cast, giving you a vague idea of what the colours are going to look like on caucasian skin.
smiles.gif

I used to design retail floor displays, and different lighting plays a big part in retail psychology. Next time you're in a high end store, go and have a look at all the different lights in the different sections. Jewellers are a really good example of this - different metals have different tinted halogen lights on their displays, mens watches and womens watches are usually lit differently, etc etc etc.
smiles.gif

Cool! Good to know...

dollbabybex

also products can fade under the lighting....

i fell in love with a blush last time i was at mac, looked at the bottom and it was 'well dressed' which i already have.

i couldnt beleive it was the same as the tester was so pale, not just compared to normal lighting, compared to well dressed in the box!
smiles.gif