The Dupe Thread: If you have... you don't really need...

Perple1

What about UD Oil Slick and Mac Black Tied -- are these dupes? Just curious as these one will arrive in my mailbox quite soon & i fear disappointment...oh well, it was a swap :-l

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perple1
What about UD Oil Slick and Mac Black Tied -- are these dupes? Just curious as these one will arrive in my mailbox quite soon & i fear disappointment...oh well, it was a swap :-l

For the most part, yes they are dupes. Oil Slick is supposed to have multi-colored glitter, but when I swatched it, I never really saw it, it looked more silver than anything. Generally the color pay off with UD shadows is better, and the texture softer so you will get a more dramatic look with it, which means that conversely, you could use your Black Tied for a more subtle smokey look. HTH.

Love Always Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danapotter
For these two, I disagree. I am NC45, and these colors look completely different on me. Shimmermoss was more shimmery and green than Aquadisiac. And swimming is darker and has a slight shimmer to it, while Wondergrass is this grassy, bright green color with no shimmer.

wavey.gif

yea i agree, i feel shimmermoss is a very shimmery metallic teal whereas aquadisiac is more baby-blue/teal with silver glitter specks.

ixiechic

I think that Blue storm pigment and Blue storm e/s are pretty much the same....
I bought Blue storm e/s recently having forgotton about my Blue storm pigment and I was most disappointed!

Eugenia

Thanks Karen_B.
I do have black tied!

Here's one more.
If I have ???????????, I don't need cumulus (blue storm)

thanks!

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia
Thanks Karen_B.
I do have black tied!

Here's one more.

thanks!

Do you have Venus? You could blend that with a silver like Electra and dupe it.

Tash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochajavalatte
If you have Woodwinked you don't need Cosmic.
If you have Naked Lunch you don't need Jete.

And for me Naked Lunch and Jete are nothing alike on my skin.

NLoveW630

I find this helpful:http://raquel13.com/makeup/
I've used this site to do comparison.
Over all just get what you want to get. I mean each color has it's own prettiness. Each one has it's own kick and hue to it. I can put on Juxt one day and turn around and put on Aquavert and get two total different effects. Yes, MAC is dupping colors, from a satin to a frost, that's the beauty of chemistry dang it. In one collection it's and e/s next 3 collection it's a pigment, marketing people is no joke. Some colors I may just primarly wear in the spring time, like Brill or Vellum. In the winter months Cranberry and Plum Dressing. I was always told looks can be deceiving. Buy what the hell you want and enjoy life..that's my take on X vs Y. Get all what you can in life any way the shelf life of MAC e/s is only 2 years tops..

MiCHiE

This thread has me more confused than ever. I think similar colors appear differently on every person.

XxMAC-AtTaCkxX

If you have Gracious Me shadestick you don't really need Kitchmas pigment since the colour is really simliar and the piment just turns into a mass of glitter all over your face (or maybe thats just me!!)
th_rolleye0014.gif

AppleDiva

hmm.gif
Hmm woodwinked and cosmic do not look the same on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochajavalatte
If you have Woodwinked you don't need Cosmic.
If you have Naked Lunch you don't need Jete.

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia
Thanks Karen_B.
I do have black tied!

Here's one more.

thanks!

hmm.gif
Maybe Silver Ring....

AppleDiva

If you have Night Light & Old Gold, you probably do need Copperized. If you have Ben Nye Bronze Lumiere Luxe Powder, you probably do not need to get Cocomotion.

Eugenia

Thanks, AppleDiva. I decided to go ahead and get the cumulus, since I do not have Silver Ring. : )

Now if I have Sunday Best (and I do!),...do I need vapour/vapor??

Eugenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
Do you have Venus? You could blend that with a silver like Electra and dupe it.

I have neither of those and decided to go ahead and get (swap for) the cumulus.

I appreciate the help though.

One more question (and I apologize for the double post)

How similar are Dovefeather and Velour? Can anyone point me to a swatch? Thanks!

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDiva
hmm.gif
Maybe Silver Ring....

Silver Ring is darker. I swatched those two actually. I think you'd have to mix current perm. colors to dupe Cumulus with the current MAC line. But I am sure you could find a silver in another line that dupes it. It isn't terribly unique.

Opps, didn't see that you already decided to get it. Lol.

Eugenia

yeah, couldn't resist. It may not be unique but it's really pretty! And I don't have a nice silver that's not too dark and not too light. With the blueish twinge, it goes so nicely with the other three I now have. : )

Now, do I need Vapour?
I have Sunday Best, I'm getting Goldbit.

Any opinions? I also have Magic Dust and BB Bone. I don't want to invest in yet another highlighter/inner lid shade unless vapour is that unique. THanks!

Oh, and to add mine to the Cosmic/Woodwinked/Amberlights discussion. I tried all three on (no I don't have three eyes, I took turns) in the store, looking at them both inside and outside. They are all different. Woodwinked is the plain sister, more for everyday daytime wear. Amber is more orangey, more dramatic, perhaps? And Cosmic was just right--perfect (the prettiest one on me). I'm NC20 most of the year with medium amber brown eyes.

gigglegirl

What would be a good dupe for the pinky beige of the new Antiquitease MES duo? I know the gold side is similar to Amber Lights, but love the other side better and wonder what from the perm is close to identical--please let there be one!!!

EDIT: Went to my local MAC counter, the manager even tried finding me a dupe. There was nothing exact, some were too shimmery, frosty, etc so I guess if and when I ever finish my beloved pinky-beige portion of Engaging, I'll just suck it up and pick another colour to lust after!