The NC42 vs. NC45 Challenge (Pic Heavy)

elongreach

Okay, I say I was going to do this a while ago, but due to camera connection issues it took a little longer than normal. I respect my specktra friends opinions and really would like some more input on my Foundation/Powder conundrum. Before this whole debacle I was perfectly happy with some tinted moisturizer and loose Bobbi Brown powder. Oh how things change.

First, I have taken the dreaded naked face photo. I believe this is post washing.
shockt.gif

003-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

Ok, we've gotten our scare for the day. Let's move on. NC45 and medium deep is what I have been using since Feb 08. I want to show you a couple of pics with variations of the foundation on me because lighting is everything.
sneaky.gif

Picture048.jpg

This pic is my first day with NC45 Satinfinish/Medium Deep. It was done my a MAC MA.
This one right here, not the one on top.
Picture023.jpg

And Lastly...

Mypic11.jpg

I could probably NC45 you all out, but I'm trying to do a snapshot of the past year. Now remind you all these pics are pregoing out, so everything looks fantastic of course. I'm not one for taking a lot of aftershot pics.

Ok, so now some pics of the NC42 foundation.

086.jpg

089.jpg

008.jpg

012.jpg

015.jpg

Ok, I think I pictured you all out.
yes.gif
On some of the newest pictures (like the last 2) I do see some ashyness on my chin, but I personally think my forehead looks right. I sorta feel like a ghost with the flash of my camera. The nonflash pics look better. And people say they can't tell a difference when I go out.

So maybe I need to start using different stuff in different areas. Plus, I'm going to get a sample of Bobbi Brown foundation like dominichulinda. I've tried it before and I think it looks ok. So there is your evidence, shall we begin our debate?

Bobbi Brown Pic:

Mypic12.jpg

Ziya

I would say NC 45
greengrin.gif
I've heard foundation should match your jawline the best....lol I have slightly darker temples too! Try dusting some matte bronzer or dark blot powder on your hairline to help your foundie blend....HTH

chocolategoddes

NC45 is clearly a better match for you. Your skin seems to have much more of a naturally warm glow with 45 than you did in 42.

chellaxx

The NC45 is a better match for you. It looks pretty natural and yep ^ its does give a warm glow.

The 42 leaves you with a slight white cast and makes your skin look kinda dull when its clearly not.

& the bobbi brown pic looks very natural. doesnt look like you have anything on!

=)

elongreach

Ok, I really had decided before I put up these pics that NC45 is probably a better match. But like I said I oxidize terribly. So maybe it's either my foundation or my powder. I've been using satinfinish because I like its light coverage with my 187. And of course the medium deep natural. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try?

I'm going to the mall tomorrow to return the Medium Dark Powder I bought. Do you think they would exchange my studio sculpt NC42 with and NC45 without the box?

MAHALO

It's unanimous ... NC45 is a better match for you than NC42. The Bobbi Brown looks good too.

DirtyPlum

Deffintely the NC45 it matches perfectly to your neck in the frst picture. If you MSF oxidises then try sculpt or even select. They will feel light on your skin but give good coverage. Otherwise get a sample of NC43 or NC44.5 and give them a whirl...

MAC will exchange if you have the receipt to show proof of purchase. I dont think they will refund you, however.

elongreach

I got my Studio Sculpt from Nordstrom, so I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem, but I just wanted to verify.

dominichulinda

hmm when I use my satinfinish I don't apply a powder over it so I'm not really sure...maybe try the new transparent powder(?) over the NC 45?...the NC 42 I see a tiny bit of off-ness around the jaw line...which can be easily corrected with contouring around your jaw area
smiles.gif
only if the problem is just the jaw line area (not sure if the flash is messing up the image since satinfinish do contain spf). If your sticking w/ the NC 45 ..try using 2 dots of he product ..and w/ your 187 ..take the very tips and get some on it like gently coat each tip w/ product and start in (cheeks) and tap it out to the ear ..working side to side until you get to your jawline
smiles.gif

dominichulinda

what color in bobbi brown did you get again(looks great!!)? yes it does look good ..I havent gotten my full size bottle...but def. getting it
smiles.gif

TISH1124

The NC45 looks perfect...I love the BB as well...I wear Golden in BB and I love it...I find it stays pretty true to color

elongreach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominichulinda
what color in bobbi brown did you get again(looks great!!)? yes it does look good ..I havent gotten my full size bottle...but def. getting it
smiles.gif

I think it was honey. I have the face chart around here somewhere. If I find it, I'll scan it in. I'm going to get a sample of both honey and golden to make an informed decision. I think the lights in the store are terrible and I'm so gullible to buy it without thinking. I have to take pics with the flash to see if it can pass the test. If my face can look good with the flash on, then it's probably the right color.

The more and more I look at those pics, I definitely see ghostly features.
shockt.gif
But that's ok. I'm taking my NC42 Studio Sculpt back to Nordies and getting my good old fashioned NC45.

doomkitteh

I wear honey in BB too and NC45 is too dark for me and NC42 too light. Unfortunately the counter I go to doesn't have NC43. NW35 is all right though.

elongreach

NW35 is a little too orange for me. I used to use it as concealor. But the one good thing about that ditzy MA that gave me NC42 is that I prefer NW30 for my concealor.

So I returned my NC42 Studio Sculpt for NC45 and the MA was like 'I wonder why they would have sold you this. I would have given you NC45'. So I've confirmed my shade. I also got a sample of Honey and Golden BB liquid to try out. I'm going to swatch them tomorrow. The BB MA a couple years ago used the cream compact in the picture above. So I'm trying the liquid to match the color and then buying the cream compact.

MACaholic76

I'm a little late to this thread but I have to agree with everyone else who voted for NC45. You absolutely beautiful in that shade!
yes.gif

elongreach

Ok, after being quite lazy for the last few days, I have completed my swatches. In the first picture is all the NC45 I own, INCLUDING the old discontinued Hyper Real (my first foundation... I was naive). The second pic is a sample of Bobbi Brown's color that we were trying to decide between. For me, it seems like Golden is the best color. The foundation the MA used on my face for that makeover is the cream compact. So once I do a full face with the golden liquid, then I will make a decision if I want to invest 42 bucks on this cream compact.

003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

I really like the returned Studio Sculpt in NC45 by the way.
yes.gif

dominichulinda

^ yeah I'm going to have to mix the honey and the golden together during the summer time when I get "extra tanned" (since I'm already naturally tan lol), because I'm currently using the BB foundation in "honey".

MAHALO

BB Golden looks very similar to MAC NC45 in Satin Finish. Thanks for the pictures. You saved me a trip to Nordstrom for samples. Now I know that I need to get GOLDEN. I purchased WARM ALMOND but the color is too rich for me. I'll probably mix GOLDEN and Warm Almond as the summer progresses.