the (pre-made & multi-product) palette problem

mspixieears

I'm sure one day the DSM-IV (that massive book with all the mental disorders legally recognised by many countries) will put in an entry about this...

How many of us have palettes too pretty to be touched, used up or just plain forgotten about? My reasoning is that a multi-product palette will always be great for travel/space saving, coming up with makeup looks on the fly but it just ain't so!!!

I confess: I've got a few I'm hoarding, pretty as sin but generally ignored. Was just reading the new things Sephora has and a few of you said you were lusting after palettes...

...soooo...do your palettes get used up or are they just (very lovely) eye candy? Any recs for the most versatile ones? The least useful ones?

Ok, so my 15-pan MAC one gets heaps of use, but naturally because I chose all the colours that went into it. My Pupa Sweet Kit though...hmmm.

Confessions, suggestions etc. - let's have them!

user3

OMG I was noticing today that I have the Dandelion palette and the Smashbox Spider Club but I have only touched them a combined total of 4x's!!!

I just keep them because I feel like when I travel they will be really handy.

LOL By the time I go on vacation the lip gloss and cream blush will probably be all dried up.

Now my ones with just e/s get used but I guess that doesn't qualify.

I also keep my Viva Glam Palette but thats just because you can't get it anymore and I have convinced myself I will use it someday!

user2

Ha!! I'm getting better and better!! I recently discovered the Vivacious CCB as a nice base for my Petticoat MSF! Vivacious was part of the Temperley so I'm on the safe side there!
greengrin.gif

I used Print and Black Tied from my 7 Eyes Coral palette lately!
I loove to use Parfait Amour from my Gem palette!
And well....then there's the Tailormade palette that I used yesterday for my party FOTD (Thx Nessa! :thumbsup: )

sbetsy

My Nars palette is hard to take out of the bottom section of my traincase so I rarely use it!
(too much effort lol)

glittergoddess27

Hmm,.. I probably use my Gem palette less than anything else,.. a lot of the purples in there end up kinda smokey on and I am not really into that,... Parfait amour and the lightest color are the ones I use the most,.. but that one kinda gets overlooked a lot,.. everything else,.. I use all the time,... I depann all my premade quads though and the only other pre-made quad I have is a T&T but I use that everyday since one of the colors perfectly matches my eyebrows,.. But yeah,.. I am very careful about buying quads for just this reason,.....

user4

i do that too... sometimes. i mostly break out my 15 pallet macs but anything else i kinda just put there and stare at!

mspixieears

Aha! I knew I wasn't alone!

I was ecstatic that I used my Boudoir Hues quad twice in one week! My Tease Me one gets used a bit but that's more of a going-out look palette for me.

I've yet to touch my Inventive Eyes, a Too Faced 'Foxy' lip palette, a Sugar Cosmetics lip one...

Generally speaking, I too have decided to not get multi-product ones as I don't end up using them. My eye quads thankfully get use, that's the only reason I got them, was fairly sure they'd get used.

Even my Stila 6-pan is somewhat neglected! Perhaps I just use my MAC 15-pan too much.

Kat

I neglect mine quite often. I have a YSL and a Guerlain one, as well as one from Mac and they always get overlooked because I can't see the shadows immediately as opposed to my pots of mac which are displayed where I can peruse them! So pretty though...

sigwing

Dr. Pixie....are you still building that thesis on makeup hoarders? *lol* And even you have toppled! From what I'm reading, now I'm scared to go look at Sephora!

I think it's a "collection thing," because I have palettes that have colors I would never ever use! I have a few quads I made cuz I had colors I thought would be pretty, & of course convenient, together, and they are even colors I have separately or in other palettes. I buy quads I don't think I would use....then I use them a time or 2 and decide they were better than I'd expected, then only take them out & admire them here & there. Sometimes I give stuff to my niece, only after I decide completely & finally they are something I don't need &/or won't use ever at all into infinity. And then I've got my 15-pans that I use daily.

Oh, and I do have both UD eye palettes and haven't used them....

I love the Tailormade palette that has the Print and Scene colors, even hoarded another one of those. Most of my quads I do use, but if there's a shade that I can't replace I might go easier on it for that reason.

shriekingviolet

Most of my premade quads and palettes get neglected. I have 10 15pan e/s palettes sorted by color and when I'm ready to do my makeup, I usually grab the palettes for the colors I'm going to wear that day (like today it was the green, the gold and the highlighter palette). It's only really when I make the effort to wear something from a premade one do I think about reaching for it. Otherwise I tend to forget they are there.

I really just need to depot all of my quads and work them into 15 pans.... That won't help all of my palettes from other brands, but it's a start!

joytheobscure

I sold/swapped some of my rarely used quads- I have sephora midnight bloom that I've used like three times. I use my inventive eyes quad the most I think, but thats emergency makeup, I use quads when I have no time to get ready and need a pre made "look" - its an excuse to buy up lots of things from collections - to have a "look" to grab and put together quickly. I just don't use quads like I do individual shadows. I can't explain why either.

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigwing
Dr. Pixie....are you still building that thesis on makeup hoarders? *lol* And even you have toppled! From what I'm reading, now I'm scared to go look at Sephora!

I wrote a draft for the post, but I have decided I'm still not completely happy with the way I synthesised the 'facts' (i.e. first-hand accounts!). But I promise it's coming!

I most certainly have toppled - though I have managed to sell a few items that were neglected and oh-so pretty. Boudoir Hues still getting a fair bit of use. My Too Faced 'Foxy' lip palette I haven't the heart to sully by using! Sure I'll get round to it...need someone to egg me on, perhaps.

Off-topic but your avatar is heavenly!

sigwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
Off-topic but your avatar is heavenly!

Thank you so much! I fixed that one up for myself recently. I'm a sucker for cute kitties!

Now....back to your topic! Your pointing out the hesitance in using your Foxy palette is one of your basic reasons for getting another! Use one, save one! Plus, you need to buy them quickly because they get phased out by the time you decide you wanted more.

I can always kinda tell what eye palettes are colors I would really like, so if I go nuts over a quad I'll get 2 when I'm buying it. And anything I don't use, even if I have sets that I use up a few things but there's some left untouched, I can pass along to my very grateful sister-in-law who loves getting my "weed-outs", or I use some extras out of my stash box to put together a gift bag for my 22-yr-old niece who is thrilled to get some of my MAC.

And yet another thing....yesterday's local Wichita Eagle newspaper had an article titled "Irresistible Indulgences," which addresses people's splurges on items such as makeup (one person actually mentioning the MAC counter!), handbags & other things. I found this article face-up here where I'd find it this morning by my desk....my husband must've accidentally left it open to that page.....!!!