Theme Makeup with a Purpose

Medgal07

graucho.gif
girlhaha.gif

Today's the first day I did something taupe. *hangs head in shame*

I did a fun glittery taupe eye on NYE (Benefit Skinny Jeans, the glitter, the black and the creme from the Smokelux palette and Catch my Eye f/l applied liberally all over the lid for maximum sparkle) and then it was minimal or no makeup for me. We returned from Vienna last weekend and there was such a lot to do and to catch up with! And it's quite impossible to catch up with this thread and to quote every striking look!

Suffice to say that Meddy looked gorgeous as usual, Aradhana's posted look was absolutely striking and I'm in awe at your look with VG Rihanna, Katred!

Here's my look from today:

FACE: Mac CC cream in Adjust, Mac Mineralize Loose foundation in light, Maybelline Fit Me concealer, Maybelline brow gel, Mac Beauty Powder in Too Chic to highlight, Mac MB in Modest

EYES: UPDD, Mac Superwatt all over lid, Mac Winterized in crease (MES), Mac Kid to blend the edges, Mac Orb under browbone, Sephora 12hr pencil in black lace for upper lashline, roof top party for waterline, Clinique mascara

Lips: EL Envy lipstick in Rebellious Rose (LOVE that formula!)

Now I#ve to stop wearing only my new Envy lipsticks and start the 'all my lipsticks' challenge!!!
wavey.gif
Hi there Anneri! Your NYE taupe eye counts!!! IT sounds like your time in Vienna was nothing short of amazing!!!
Thanks so much for the compliment. I'm plodding along with our new lipstick challenge, still fearful of using my favs only once this year,
but feeling pretty gratified when I add the lipstick to my basket at the end of the day. I'm also changing the lipstick of the day to red text on
my inventory document to help me keep track.

sagehen

Today's FOTD: FACE: Ruby Kiss 3-D Face Creator, 11 lighter shade in center of face, darker shade on perimeter Ruby Kiss 3-D Face Creator, 15, light contour by COB today, I will be wearing MAC Deep Plum blush EYES: Maybelline Shadow singles as follows: Silken Taupe on lids, Constant Toast in crease, Made for Mocha and Smoky Coal blended in outer crease for depth. Pixi e/l, Black Noir on top lashline, Black Cocoa on bottom Rimmel Brow Pencil, 001 Dark Brown CG Clump Crusher mascara, Very Black LIPS: MAC BBQ l/l NYX Wicked lipstick, Coldhearted

Shars

Oh I am. I've been using some form of taupe or taupe-like e/s from lid to brow and then adding a deeper shade to the crease, and /or a mid-toned color to
transition. Quite often I'll just a whatever highlighter I'm using to highlight my brow.
I've been trying to think about other ways to wear taupe eyeshadow. After 3 days I felt like I was doing the same look just with a different crease colour lol.

aradhana

How do you like the Skindinavia spray? I keep wondering about it and have heard good things but I've only tried the UD one. I love that Modern Lure lipglass! I have to try your combo with Talk That Talk next time I wear it. Are we counting combos as separate uses? E.g. Lipstick alone is not equal to same lipstick with a lip glass? lool.

I'm not a morning person so it was a struggle for me. I felt energetic, but would need a mid-morning nap lol.
Oh no! Running on that would be so dangerous for sure.

I've been trying to think about other ways to wear taupe eyeshadow. After 3 days I felt like I was doing the same look just with a different crease colour lol.
it's ok - i didn't do it! it's way too scary out there. i mean basically i would be better off getting a pair of skates and skating for my exercise!

NaomiH

[COLOR=0000FF]We had no good lighting to speak of today---overcast and rainy all day.  I tried to get  the best light possible but unfortunately just poor indoor lighting.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]TTT looks way darker IRL than it does in the photo.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF].[/COLOR]
Great googly moogly you're fabulous Meddy! :eyelove:

NaomiH

As far as I know, Burberry is only available at two Holt's counters- Toronto and Vancouver. I grabbed two shadows at the Vancouver counter when I was out there on business a couple of years back. They've never expanded the distribution to other counters and Burberry hasn't tried to make a deal with another retailer (i.e., The Bay) as far as I know. Also, their web site won't accept orders from Canada. I tried talking to their customer service and the response was "that's too bad". Le sigh. I decided to play around with the idea of taupe today, because I wanted to try something more colourful on my eyes. (I've told myself that I have to use more of my pigments, because I love them, but I always just end up skipping them because they take a little longer to work with.) So I figured, if I wasn't going to incorporate taupe on the eyes, I might as well use it in other places. So... Face UD Naked Skin foundation 1.0 Dior Star concealer 010 Chanel Ombres Contraste "Notorious" [lavender-taupe contour powder] Mac Blush Ombre "Azalea Blossom" [cool lavender/ pink mix] Mac MSF "Lightscapade" [eggshell white highlighter] Eyes Mac paint pot "Painterly" [base] Mac e/s "Nanogold" [shimmery pinkish gold- inner half of lids] Mac pigment "Bright Fuchsia" [exactly what it says= blended over the outer half of the lids and into the crease] Mac e/s "Sweet Chestnut" [deep cranberry/ maroon- in the outer V to intensify/ deepen] Mac e/s "Crystal Avalanche" [shimmery white] along the brow bone and to soften the outer edges of BF] UD 24/7 e/l "Perversion" [intense black- along the upper lash lines] MUFE Smoky Extravagant mascara Lips Mac l/s "Viva Glam Rihanna 2" [frosty cool taupe] So yeah... Taupe on the cheeks and the lips, but not on the eyes. It's sort of an extreme look- I'd never wear it to an office, but I guess the nice thing about working from home is that you can play around more without being judged. :clap: Here's a photo of how it came out:
Lovely Katred!

Medgal07

How do you like the Skindinavia spray? I keep wondering about it and have heard good things but I've only tried the UD one. I love that Modern Lure lipglass! I have to try your combo with Talk That Talk next time I wear it. Are we counting combos as separate uses? E.g. Lipstick alone is not equal to same lipstick with a lip glass? lool.

I'm not a morning person so it was a struggle for me. I felt energetic, but would need a mid-morning nap lol.
Oh no! Running on that would be so dangerous for sure.

I like it Shars but I'm not crazy about the scent. I think I'd gotten used to the scent MAC Fix+. The scent dissipates quickly. The results are good. I never have to
touch up my makeup other than reapplying lipstick. I especially like that Skindinavia frequently has sales/specials.

I forgot to mention that I've been doing the exact same thing...putting taupe all over my eye and adding a different crease color. I've enjoyed the looks but I don't feel as if I'm being creative enough.

Ok now that made me laugh myself right off the chair. A lipstick worn with lipgloss is a used lipstick. You can't then wear that same lipstick w/o lipgloss and count it
anew. I'm thinking lipgloss worn with lipstick as an accessory. We weren't counting gloss in this at all were we?
anyone.gif

Vineetha

[COLOR=0000FF]  I like it Shars but I'm not crazy about the scent.  I think I'd gotten used to the scent MAC Fix+.  The scent dissipates quickly.  The results are good.  I never have to[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]  touch up my makeup other than [/COLOR][COLOR=0000FF]reapplying [/COLOR][COLOR=0000FF] lipstick.  I especially like that Skindinavia frequently has sales/specials.  [/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF] Ok now that made me laugh myself right off the chair.  A lipstick worn with lipgloss is a used lipstick.  You can't then wear that same lipstick w/o lipgloss and count it[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF] anew.  I'm thinking lipgloss worn[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]with lipstick as an accessory.  We weren't counting gloss in this at all were we?[/COLOR] :anyone:
Uhoh :haha:

Medgal07

yep i'm having the same problem. a lot of my nude lipsticks are from several years ago...mostly when we were seeing mega smokey eyes and nude lips all over the place. i wore karat the other day but i think it has to go in the bin! it was smelling not bad, but not right!

actually, i am wondering if mac uses a different formula altogether for their LE lipsticks....? because i might not buy anymore LE mac from now on if that's the case.

nice!

i like your idea to focus on the pigments - i also tend to neglect mine since they take more time. the taupe challenge helped me bring a couple out, but i can only really do it when i have time because if not, it's just a bad scene.

sounds pretty!

what is the cc cream in adjust used for? (i have recharge, and i only slightly understand where to use it.)

great idea!

sounds pretty.
like medgal, i also went and googled ruby kiss....then i got distracted and started looking up rcma and then all of a sudden i was looking at charlotte tillbury eye palettes, and i'm just lucky i didn't end up buying one! (the rock chick, in case you are wondering )

it's ok - i didn't do it! it's way too scary out there. i mean basically i would be better off getting a pair of skates and skating for my exercise!
girlhaha.gif
​You do know that's typical addictive behavior. I was looking at CT's Vintage Vamp palette
girlhaha.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by NaomiH

Great googly moogly you're fabulous Meddy!
eyelove.gif
girlhaha.gif
blush-anim-cl.gif
Thanks Naomi!

Shars

I like it Shars but I'm not crazy about the scent. I think I'd gotten used to the scent MAC Fix+. The scent dissipates quickly. The results are good. I never have to
touch up my makeup other than reapplying lipstick. I especially like that Skindinavia frequently has sales/specials.

I forgot to mention that I've been doing the exact same thing...putting taupe all over my eye and adding a different crease color. I've enjoyed the looks but I don't feel as if I'm being creative enough.

Ok now that made me laugh myself right off the chair. A lipstick worn with lipgloss is a used lipstick. You can't then wear that same lipstick w/o lipgloss and count it
anew. I'm thinking lipgloss worn with lipstick as an accessory. We weren't counting gloss in this at all were we?
anyone.gif
Ok that's good. The UD one has a pleasant (well more like non-offensive) scent but not like MAC Fix +. I love that darn thing but it doesn't keep me matte. I may try Scandinavia once I'm close to finishing one of my UD bottles and hopefully it will be in time for one of their sales. I saw that they were doing 40% off just before the holidays.

Yeah that's the same way I feel. Like I'm not being creative enough. I'm going to google and see if I can find some more interesting taupe looks that I can still wear to work.

Re the lipstick... just checking haha. I've been taking the opportunity to wear the colours I've never used and haven't reached for in ages. My faves I'm reserving for special days when I'm feeling myself lol.

Edited to add the "like" after not in the first line. I love the smell of MAC's Fix +!

Medgal07

Ok that's good. The UD one has a pleasant (well more like non-offensive) scent but not MAC Fix +. I love that darn thing but it doesn't keep me matte. I may try Scandinavia once I'm close to finishing one of my UD bottles and hopefully it will be in time for one of their sales. I saw that they were doing 40% off just before the holidays.

Yeah that's the same way I feel. Like I'm not being creative enough. I'm going to google and see if I can find some more interesting taupe looks that I can still wear to work.

Re the lipstick... just checking haha. I've been taking the opportunity to wear the colours I've never used and haven't reached for in ages. My faves I'm reserving for special days when I'm feeling myself lol.
pompom.gif
Me too Shars. I'm going through my vampy cold weather/winter typical shades but saving a couple
for later in the year. I don't want to deplete my favorites and if I don't love a shade, I'll make note and it won't
return it to my stash at the end of this challenge.

meka72

Hey ladies! I wanted to check in really quickly to say that I've worn taupe eyeshadow yesterday and today! The coastal scents revealed palette has several taupe shades although I've only used one shade thus far. In addition, I used mac brown script in the crease and some other discontinued mac shade to highlight the browbone. I've been really lazy and have just continued to wear the makeup selections from last week: Primer: Kortes anti aging primer Foundation: Nars sheer glow in Trinidad mixed with drop of Clinique pore refining foundation in pecan Concealer: Nars Amande to blemishes and Ginger to undereye Highlight: Bobbi Brown bronze glow to cheekbones Blush: Mac Pleasure Model Setting Powder: Surratt diaphane loose powder Mascara: Armani eyes to kill Eyeliner: CoverGirl/Loreal gel liner Lipstick: 29 Cosmetics Reserve Red (Monday) and Nars Dolce vita lip pencil and gloss (Tuesday) Tomorrow, I'll wear Mac Rebel lipstick

katred

Specktra Bestie
Ok that's good. The UD one has a pleasant (well more like non-offensive) scent but not MAC Fix +. I love that darn thing but it doesn't keep me matte. I may try Scandinavia once I'm close to finishing one of my UD bottles and hopefully it will be in time for one of their sales. I saw that they were doing 40% off just before the holidays.

I love Mac Fix+, but it really doesn't help if you want to reduce your glow. I'm still looking for a good solution.

I went back to taupe on the eyes today- Chantecaille Sel, which I used in the crease, combined with peach and rosewood shades and I wore Mac Lustering lipstick for a pop of colour that wasn't too extreme. I have to say that I wasn't crazy about the eye look- it seemed a little muddy- and somehow during the day, I managed to misplace the lipstick.
th_stormy.gif
At least it's a permanent item, so if I really can't find it, at least I can replace it.

I'm enjoying reading/ seeing everyone's looks. It is really inspiring to see what you all come up with. One of the things about being a full-on makeup addict is that it can become too easy to just rely on new stuff, rather than seeing what I can do with the (giant horde of) stuff I already have. These challenges are making me "fall in love again" with items I'd forgotten. (Note for honesty's sake: I just got a box of Mac stuff today, so it's not like I've sworn off everything new.)

Medgal07

Interesting! It pulls quite brown on me, so I'm always a little uncertain about it, but I like the colour enough that I keep trying it in different ways.

It's funny that you mention about lipsticks going off. I was just re-swatching all my lipsticks (I do this about once a year and I figured that it was a good way to start my no repeats lipstick stretch) and I was noticing that some of my newer lipsticks have clearly gone off while my oldest ones continue to hang tough. This was even more true of glosses, actually. Now you have me worried that my neutrals might be changing on me. They look the same... I think...

I do have to use my pigments more, especially while I have time in the mornings. The other issue of course, is that I've already had one disaster with a kitty swatting an open pigment jar onto the carpet. I never want to have to deal with that again.

I love Mac Fix+, but it really doesn't help if you want to reduce your glow. I'm still looking for a good solution.

I went back to taupe on the eyes today- Chantecaille Sel, which I used in the crease, combined with peach and rosewood shades and I wore Mac Lustering lipstick for a pop of colour that wasn't too extreme. I have to say that I wasn't crazy about the eye look- it seemed a little muddy- and somehow during the day, I managed to misplace the lipstick.
th_stormy.gif
At least it's a permanent item, so if I really can't find it, at least I can replace it.

I'm enjoying reading/ seeing everyone's looks. It is really inspiring to see what you all come up with. One of the things about being a full-on makeup addict is that it can become too easy to just rely on new stuff, rather than seeing what I can do with the (giant horde of) stuff I already have. These challenges are making me "fall in love again" with items I'd forgotten. (Note for honesty's sake: I just got a box of Mac stuff today, so it's not like I've sworn off everything new.)
I totally agree with you on being inspired by shared makeup looks. I'm thinking of constructing a pink and taupe eye look tomorrow because I was inspired by the look
that you created. I didn't sign on not to buy more makeup in this challenge. I've had a hauling good time in recent weeks because of the spring collections...and with
that came a few lipsticks.
girlhaha.gif

Medgal07

Tuesday's Look

EYES:
MAC Quite Natural Paint Potas a base
Taupe E/S from Chanel palette Tissé Gabrielle from lid to brow
MAC Fireside Mineralize E/S (Deep Plum w/Green Veining) to crease, outer vee & lower lash line
to crease, outer vee & lower lash line

FACE:
Chanel, Soleil Tan De Chanel Bronzing Makeup Base
Chanel Double Perfection Lumière Powder Foundation, 80 Beige
YSL Touche Éclat’ Radiant Touch Luminous Pralinein small triangle below eyes, set w/Ben Nye Powder, Banana Visage
MAC Coffee Walnut PSC to contour, set w/Charlotte Tilbury, Film Star Bronzer
Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector, Pressed Topazto highlight facial high planes
MAC Mineralize Blush, Stratus (Amethyst & Gold-brown Melange)
MAC Mineralized Skin Finish-Natural Powder to set
Guerlain Météorites Perlesd'Etoiles - (Med Beige w/Golden Shimmer) dusted over face
Skindinavia Makeup setting spray

LIPS:
Chanel Hydra Beauty Nourishing Lip Care
MACVino (Intense Violet Purple) Lip Pencil
MAC What Joy! (Deep berry) Lipstick
MAC Lipglass, Flight of Fancy (Rich Purple)

NAILS:

Butter London, Rebel Fox(Burgundy Shimmer)

Anneri

Ok that's good. The UD one has a pleasant (well more like non-offensive) scent but not like MAC Fix +. I love that darn thing but it doesn't keep me matte. I may try Scandinavia once I'm close to finishing one of my UD bottles and hopefully it will be in time for one of their sales. I saw that they were doing 40% off just before the holidays.

Edited to add the "like" after not in the first line. I love the smell of MAC's Fix +!
I've Fix+ and the UD long-lasting setting spray which I only use for weddings in hot weather and parties. I can't stand the sticky feeling I get, but have to admit that it really prolongs the wear-time of my MU!

And an idea for those who are thinking they're repeating one taupe look with different crease colours day after day - what about putting another non-taupe shade on the lid and putting the taupe in the crease? I can imagine it as a very nice look with pinks, purples and greens or browns!

Shars

Hi Med! I've first to update my inventory first, and then I'll want to swatch everything on paper so I've an easy reference tool. I also want to re-organise my nailpolish, a much more daunting task!
Vienna was very nice and very cold. And omg, the food. Amazing. Also went to the Opera and a very nice Monet exhibition, so the four days were really crowded!

Tbh I just use it as a base, not for that fancy colour correcting it's advertised for. It just evens out my skin a bit (it's quite peachy beige, and doesn't change my skintone much) and provides a bit of SPF plus it plays nicely with my mineralise foundation I use over it. The tint of it is so faint that I can't imagine it not to be universally usable, even on deeper skintones. Which one is Recharge? The orange one? I was thinking to get the yellow one for my red cheeks, but I started to use Retinol and BHA products during fall and I imagine it made a difference and my cheeks aren't as red as before.

I've Fix+ and the UD long-lasting setting spray which I only use for weddings in hot weather and parties. I can't stand the sticky feeling I get, but have to admit that it really prolongs the wear-time of my MU!

And an idea for those who are thinking they're repeating one taupe look with different crease colours day after day - what about putting another non-taupe shade on the lid and putting the taupe in the crease? I can imagine it as a very nice look with pinks, purples and greens or browns!
I was thinking of taupe in the crease but couldn't for the life of me think what I would replace the lid colour with. But I'm liking the green and purple idea. My lids are already brown so I would skip that one haha.

aradhana

I was thinking of taupe in the crease but couldn't for the life of me think what I would replace the lid colour with. But I'm liking the green and purple idea. My lids are already brown so I would skip that one haha.
teal keeps popping in my head, but i think you could use just about any colour... purple and green both sound pretty too!

Jaymuhlee

I decided to start on Sunday and wore Wet n Wild Nutty on my lids with Bobbi Brown Blonde through the crease and Rimmel Taupe liner smudged on my upper and lower lash lines. Lipstick number one was a my first LORAC lip product I picked up before Christmas in Secret Agent. The Alter Ego line gets awful reviews, and I remember my mom tried a light pink that looked like pure chalk, but this one was nice and creamy. After a few hours my lips looked a bit rough though. I'll have to reevaluate later. I haven't worn anything since because of the cold here. Leaving for work when there's a -30° windchill spells N-O-P-E for me. Maybe tomorrow I'll throw something on since the high will be 17°!

Latest posts