Thinking about applying at MAC - CV tips?

vcarina88x

Hey
smiles.gif

First off, I'm new here so I apologise in advance if this is the wrong forum or if this has already been answered in another thread...

I'm thinking about applying at both my local MAC counters, in the House of Fraser and Fenwick department stores where I live. I am going to University in september and desperately need a job to help pay for fees.

I have always loved anything to do with makeup, I thoroughly enjoy doing it, etc. and I would love to work for MAC, even just a MAC counter.

I have a CV on computer but it is only a general one...it isn't job specific or anything - just my hobbies, work experience, previous jobs, education...etc. I was just wondering how I would create a new CV specific for a MAC vancancy (or any other makeup counter).

I want to get the point across that makeup is one of my biggest interests without it sounding like it is just a hobby...nor do I want them to think I am lying about my love of cosmetics, solely so I can get the job. Also, do they require you to have qualifications in cosmetics such as hair and beauty/ beauty and nails? I am 19 and at college but didnt have the chance to do a cosmetics course.

Would it be useful to note down some of my inspirations, such as various makeup artists, etc? I also need to know how to write my cover letter to send with my CV - i have a cover letter already typed but does it need to be specific to makeup occupations?

Finally, do MAC discriminate against looks? I know it's a weird question, but all the MAs at my counters are really slim and pretty, whereas I'm a larger build...

Sorry for the extremely long post, I have been wondering about this for a few weeks now and have been putting off writing a CV as I have no idea what MAC are looking for!

Thanks so much in advance x

*Luna*

Just write a genuine cover letter explaining why you want the job and which job it is you are applying for (freelance, part time, full time), take it as your moment to "introduce" yourself on paper, and hand that in along with your CV with your work experience and what not. It doesn't need to be cosmetics specific in any way. They will look for things every other job looks for such as stability and length of time at previous employers... retail experience will be helpful, make sure to include that if you've had any.

I honestly don't think size matters. I frequent 2 of the local freestanding stores and 3 of the local counters and they have people working at all locations that are all colors, genders, shapes and sizes.