Thinking of going Dairy-Free...

purrtykitty

As I've posted in the title, I'm thinking about going dairy-free (or mostly anyway) for health reasons. I've noticed after I have something with dairy in it, I get really phlegm-y, sound like I have a smoker's cough, and in general just feel really sluggish.

Anyone else dairy-free? Any thoughts on doing this? Tips, etc...? I'm not super worried about making sure I get enough calcium, as I like soy milk, and I don't seem to have any problems when I eat Greek yogurt.

January

I'm dairy-free.
smiles.gif
It started at a young age with hating milk and cheese, and just kind of branched out from there. But I've been like that all my life... so I can't really give any tips. I've turned out fine - and I don't pay that close of attention to making sure I get my calcium (I should, but I don't, just being honest). I eat healthy for the most part, so I must be getting it from other foods.

This is some good information:
MilkSucks.com: Got Osteoporosis?

Good luck!

Honey&LemonGirl

I started cutting dairy from my intake about a month ago, also for health reasons (a moderate intolerance for lactose). I noticed I would get horrible stomach aches and bloating after eating pizza or anything with a lot of cheese, milk, or cream in it, so I tried abstaining from dairy for two weeks and noticed a BIG difference. Yogurt (especially nonfat, it seems) doesn't seem to bother my stomach as much, but milk/cream and cheese definitely do. And for my midday latte, I get it with soymilk.
smiles.gif
The transition to dairy-free has been surprisingly easy for me, and I'm someone who's pretty in love with dairy products.

When I'm really craving some cheese or a cold glass of milk with my cookie, I take a Lactaid (OTC) pill beforehand.

Corvs Queen

I am dairy free. I have switched to rice milk for my breakfast. It's okay. The vanilla is better than the plain. I decided to go dairy free because of the health affects of Casein, which accounts for more than 80% of proteins found in cows milk. Also, cows milk causes mucus buildup in the human body. In my honest opinion dairy is toxic. Especially cheese. As for calcium, plenty of veggies contain high amounts of calcium. Such as.....cabbage, spinach, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, eggplant, kale, parsley, peas, pumpkin, turnip, dandelion and asparagus. Hope that helps a bit.

January

Also, I wanted to add - I love Almond Milk, especially the vanilla one. I know you said you like Soy Milk, but give Almond Milk a try too - it's really creamy and good
smiles.gif

purrtykitty

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has problems! I'll definitely try Almond Milk, too.

I think, for me, dairy is going to be a once-in-awhile treat. I may also investigate modifying desserts so that they're dairy free.

laguayaca

I really like this thread Ive recently gone dairy free. I have not had drinking milk in about a year but have had organic ice cream every now and then and I love cheese but for 2 weeks now Ive let go of my love affair with cheese and ice cream. its not been hard at all I cant drink almond milk I use it for baking mainly I cant say I enjoy drinking any milk substitute. I dont get sick from milk but I just know its toxic and fattening.

If you havent tried hemp milk you might like it I know many people that really love it. I use that for my baking and cooking too.

effboysinthebut

I had to greatly cut down on dairy when I was diagnosed with Diabetes, and I've lost a decent amount of weight. I'm sure its a combination of a bunch of things. But I notice if I have a week where I have more dairy I tend to gain a little.

Unfortunately I loooooooooove dairy.

Babylard

if you plan on going dairy-free, and your diet is pretty balanced besides that, take calcium supplements and if you have long winters, also take vitamin D since they go hand in hand. too much milk gives me upset stomach so maybe you and i have an intolerence for lactose. yogurt is easier to digest because some of the lactose sugars have been broken down by the bacteria that make yogurt. i can eat ice cream and whatnot, but milk really bothers me. i love dairy products though i cant let go of it lol. they are super good for you. fortified soy milk is an okay substitute but always read the labels. not all products are created equal. for example, the asian sunrise sweet soymilk hardly contains any calcium in it besides the tiny amount they add to it. but god knows i love it!

i was thinking of trying lactaid when i want to have milk!

p.s. i dont see why milk is toxic unless you are getting it from some ghetto farm with no regulations o_O

laguayaca

^lol…i think for my body it is even if it was raw milk. I wont lie I like milk but its not as good as we think. I encourage you to watch a series on youtube called Utterly Amazing. Very eye opening, I ve read many books before watching this but I am not against you if you eat dairy lol

A cup of broccoli has as much calcium as a glass of milk. Broccoli is one of nature's most potent super foods, and has almost twice as much protein as steak: 11.2 g per 100 calories.

purrtykitty

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of milk, but other dairy I do love, especially cheese! For me, I find that if I don't keep it in the house, I won't eat it...and I usually won't go out searching for it, either.

I've been doing OK with not eating a lot of dairy. It's tough when I eat out, though.

Fortunately, I loooove broccoli, so we eat that fairly often. I also already take a Vitamin-D supplement, but I probably will have to look into calcium, as well. I drink soy/almond milk, but usually only a couple times a week. I buy the smart pastas and breads, which are fortified with calcium, but I doubt it's enough. I really just need to eat more yogurt.

laguayaca

^^^I love cheeese! have you ever had raw cheese its better than eating reg cheese you can find it in the organic section. A better choice. Hemp milk is full of omegas. You can also get the best form of vitamin D from the sun since youre fair skinned 15 mins a day is enough. Almonds are also a good source of calcium. I have a thread called Reclaiming Myself under health section if you wanna check it out.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguayaca
^lol…i think for my body it is even if it was raw milk. I wont lie I like milk but its not as good as we think. I encourage you to watch a series on youtube called Utterly Amazing. Very eye opening, I ve read many books before watching this but I am not against you if you eat dairy lol

A cup of broccoli has as much calcium as a glass of milk. Broccoli is one of nature's most potent super foods, and has almost twice as much protein as steak: 11.2 g per 100 calories.

I really wish that I could thank you twice for this post. Also, Rice Milk is a good option too. The vanilla flavor is best I think but yeah, I drink it and like it. It's not an animal biproduct and it's really easy to digest.

laguayaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvs Queen
I really wish that I could thank you twice for this post. Also, Rice Milk is a good option too. The vanilla flavor is best I think but yeah, I drink it and like it. It's not an animal biproduct and it's really easy to digest.

Yes rice, hemp, almond, oat, hazelnut all those are great alternatives to milk theres lots of options!

purrtykitty

Quote:
^^^I love cheeese! have you ever had raw cheese its better than eating reg cheese you can find it in the organic section. A better choice. Hemp milk is full of omegas. You can also get the best form of vitamin D from the sun since youre fair skinned 15 mins a day is enough. Almonds are also a good source of calcium. I have a thread called Reclaiming Myself under health section if you wanna check it out.

I think I'm just going to have to take a day and explore Whole Foods.

Oh, and I did check out your thread, and you've made some amazing progress...I'll make a post over there, too!

heavenllyhash

Quote:

Would you mind explaining how broccoli has more protein than steak and as much as 1 cup of milk?

DH is on a high protein diet and he records all his meals with daily protein totals.
These are the numbers he uses:
1 cup broccoli 2.5 grams protein vs. 1 cup milk 8 grams vs 6oz steak 42 grams

bis

Thanks for all the info, girls. I am also thinking of skipping dairy products from my diet. ATM I nearly constantly have a runny red nose and someone told me it is because of dairy products. A bit confused, as I do not eat a lot of them and all the milk I drink is a bit in my coffee.
After all you wrote I will definitely try it to see if it makes any difference.

Too bad I hate Soy Milk...

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenllyhash
Would you mind explaining how broccoli has more protein than steak and as much as 1 cup of milk?

DH is on a high protein diet and he records all his meals with daily protein totals.
These are the numbers he uses:
1 cup broccoli 2.5 grams protein vs. 1 cup milk 8 grams vs 6oz steak 42 grams

I'm guessing it has to do with a volume thing. 1 gram of broccoli is probably more voluminous than 1 gram of beef, therefore since you can fit more broccoli in a gram, the protein count is higher. I didn't do the calculations, but that is the analysis I would use to justify the numbers.