Those eBay pigment "samples" listings, worth it?

Star

Most are 1/4 tsp. Can you really get several uses out of this much pigment? I'm not really into pigments at all, but there are a couple of shades that I wouldn't mind trying (but not willing to spend the $$ on a full jar).

Is it a ripoff?

lola336

ive gotten some on ebay...but if the cost of the set plus shipping is more than 2 - 2.50 bucks a sample...then i wouldnt go for it. plsu some people fill the jars more than others.2 sellers i recommend are spiffythings and cat*_co. I've gotten good product form them and spiffythings promotes free shipping when u win 3 or more.

iiifugaziii

I am an ebay nazi!!! CAREFUL when you buy samples off ebay--- watch the shipping prices. some people try to charge you 4.00 for one sample of shipping. HELL NO. I usually buy from the seller "spiffythings." (she doesn't have any selling right now.. but she always offers free shipping w/ 3 purchased).
I would highly recommend buying the samples, though. I've bought a ton of samples off of ebay and it's a nice way to know the texture/color and if you're ever to going to use them a lot. I've had some samples that have lasted me forever!
ps- you shouldn't have to spend more than 2.00 on shipping for each sample.

sassy*girl

I was wondering about this too. I've seen some that were pretty reasonable, but then their shipping was too much for a 1/4 size of sample pigment. I think if you do eBay, just be wary of their shipping prices. They might list it for really cheap, but then they just overcharge for shipping...

vicuna1

I recently bought 10 samples off e-bay. When I questioned the seller about the shipping (the total for shipping was an outrageous $25+!) they came back with an offer of $25 total for the samples and shipping. An offer I couldn't refuse. So try asking about the shipping thing. Oh, and I double checked the envelope they shipped in and the postage was all of $1.06. I can appreciate the handling part, how tedious it would be to measure out all those pigment samples and label, but still. Oh, and seller was very courteous and it appears to be exactly 1/4 tsp./jar, shades hand written on the bottoms of the jars. Color me satisfied.

Eye<3Colour

ive had one bad experience w/samples. and 3 great experiences. spiffythings gives you more than 1/4 i think. the one bad experience tho, shes no longer a reg. user. and 1/4, def gets use tons of uses. i have ran out yet!!! livinformenow was another seller that was generous w/her pigment samples.
smiles.gif

mac_obsession

I go for the ones that are 1/2 tsp. They may cost more but you get a lot more as well. There are good sellers out there, that offer free samples with purchases and/or free shipping etc. You just have to look.
I hate auctions, I like ebay stores, unless its something I cant find in stores for a reasonable price.
Im more apt to spend $8 on a 1/2 tsp than i am 5 on a 1/4 which is really more like 1/8..

Star

So I have been browsing the pigment sample auctions. Some of those sellers are really milking this for all it's worth!!!!!!! I am seeing a lot of EMPTIES for sale, listed as "free lipsticks with back 2 mac".

Some say the empties "still have some traces of pigment stuck to the sides", lol!!! Obviously they made all the money they could for the jar and now they are trying to squeeze a few extra dollar from the EMPTIES!

After the $12.99 purchase price for 6 empties advertised as "2 free lipsticks", isn't more like only ONE free lipstick!!

ruby_soho

I would definitely recommend buying pigment samples off ebay. You do have to be careful of shipping, there's one really big seller but they charge $4 for one jar. I always buy my pigments from Kanachan and they usually come within a week or so and after buying one item each item after that is only $.50 shipping.

melozburngr

I bought a 'lot' of samples from a seller on there that Im not quite sure are all MAC pigments.. but I didnt question it since I was new to pigments, and I took them for MAC... but since I have actually bought some of the pigments, and they were totally different colors. but I have definitely had good experiences...- kanachan ships QUICKLY, and a few others... be sure to keep and eye out for sellers from out of the us or canada, as they jack up shipping to astronomical heights.

Star

Thanks girls, I am going to look at Kanachan's listings.

That's another thing... how do you know they're not some no-name stuff? Dang.

glamella

Honestly, no. I think people charge way too much for those samples. I have full size jars and I can get 3 tablespoons worth (not teaspoons) of samples out of it. A 1/4 teaspoon for 3-4 is a rip off.
My MAC store makes samples for me whne I want to try a new color for free. Same w/ postcards. I give those away because I don't collect them. I always get those free too so I wouldn't pay more than $2-3 if I were a collector.

lola336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
Thanks girls, I am going to look at Kanachan's listings.

That's another thing... how do you know they're not some no-name stuff? Dang.

yea i got screwed twice on that too...but i told both sellers that i iknow this isnt mac and they both offered me refunds...actually i saw a seller that called them mac minerals and i m like that doesnt even exist..lol..but u can tell that they dont look right in the pics.....i know trvlman offers 1/2 tsp..and they were all fake.

blepharisma

I don't think she has any auctions right now, but there's a seller from Canada named 'kittenflug' who is really reliable - and gives 'generous' 1/4 tsp samples (i.e. she doesn't skimp when she measures).

Hers are definitely really Mac, no ripoffs either in product or on the shipping charge.

(This doesn't really help you right now, but for future reference)

Dawn

Administrator
Staff member
I've also bought from Kanachan and everything was very nice. She packs and labels them nice also, I wouldn't hesitate buying from her again! Dawn