Three different MUAs, three completely different foundations

Audrey C

I hope I'm posting this in the right place or that I'm not repeating a topic; I had a look around first. I apologize in advance for the ramble, but I want to give some history.

When I rediscovered my love of MAC a couple of years ago, the first thing I did was go to a MAC counter to be matched for foundation/powder (dead of winter, no tan). The MUA recommended Studio Tint Medium-Dark. I knew this was darker than what I once used, but sun damage takes a toll and does darken skin, so I bought it after asking if she was sure it wasn't too dark. I never loved that product, but I did use it up (diluted).

The next time I went back, the MUA said that I was no medium-dark, but medium. I liked that colour much better. When I wanted something that would better cover the redness in my cheeks, I had Studio Fix NC35 powder recommended. Having learned my lesson, I went outside, looked at myself in sunlight and came back in to say it was WAY too dark. Another MUA came over to assist, said that I was right and that NC30 was the right colour. Fine. That colour looked better so I came home with it. Except I found that it looked powdery and not quite right so I used it verrrry sparingly if at all.

In the meantime, I built up my collection. There's a free-standing MAC store near my office and I've developed a relationship with a MUA there; I buy virtually all of my permanent products from him. He never steers me wrong and has this freakish ability to just look at me, pull a colour and have it be great for me. I don't know why I didn't ask him to match my foundation but I always go in to that store already fully made up. I've bought all the foundations at the counter near home because I don't mind going in there with nothing on my face. There are nice MUAs there, but they keep suggesting different colours.

When checking out the Fashion Sets in person this weekend, I mentioned to the MUA I most often buy from at the counter that I hate the Studio Fix + powder and that MAC foundations just don't work for me. After asking me what I use, she swatched a bit on me and said it was too dark for me, that I have olive undertones, etc. and asked me to please bring it back. I went home and got it, but she was gone when I went back. Her replacement suggested C4. I mentioned that it looked darker than the NC30 and she said it's really more like NC35-40, that NC30 is too light for me.
WTF2.gif
Did my skin somehow change colour in an hour?!

Today I went to the MAC store and asked my fave MUA how it could possibly be so hard to get the right freaking foundation. I want a natural look that evens out my skin and covers some of the redness in my cheeks. That's all. He's listening to me, nods, reaches for something and starts dabbing at me with a 130. Two seconds later? Perfection. I kid you not, and he didn't even bother to remove what was under it. Face and Body N3. I have no idea what that means, but it looks fabulous. The redness is gone and my face actually matches my neck again. The MUA yesterday insisted that my face was darker than my neck and chest; well, it isn't now.

My new hero sent me home with a giant sample (and some Prep & Prime Powder too for my uber oily t-zone). Told me to try them out for a week and see how I like them. I came home and redid my makeup from scratch, still love it. I'll give it a few days to be sure, but I think he nailed it (and didn't need to swatch eighty bazillion colours to do it).

HOW could I be a NC30, NC35-40, C4 and N3 over one weekend????
th_MadWithShortFuse.gif

kimibos

whoa, Im having the same problem but with chanel foundations, i went to the macys counter and was given a foundation with a pink undertone and lighter, then at nordstrom a warm one darker. next time i go ill bring both bottles and ask for several samples because im not buying a whole bottle for nothing. at mac i was matched with the MSFN in medium dark... OMG i look sooo bad with it. its way to dark,i had to give it away cause i hate returning things. that's why i kept the other 2 foundations.
i totally understand your situation!! but i'm glad your friend was able to give you that dream matched foundation.
eyelove.gif

in the mean time i'll keep looking...
cry.gif

Audrey C

whoa, Im having the same problem but with chanel foundations, i went to the macys counter and was given a foundation with a pink undertone and lighter, then at nordstrom a warm one darker. next time i go ill bring both bottles and ask for several samples because im not buying a whole bottle for nothing. at mac i was matched with the MSFN in medium dark... OMG i look sooo bad with it. its way to dark,i had to give it away cause i hate returning things. that's why i kept the other 2 foundations.
i totally understand your situation!! but i'm glad your friend was able to give you that dream matched foundation.
eyelove.gif

cry.gif
I understand that someone can be between a shade, and that NC# in one product doesn't always equal NC# in another. But I don't understand how two MUA in one day (in the same store with the same lighting) could come to completely different conclusions (too dark/too light). I hope you can find the right shade.

I wonder if a big city downtown store attracts a different style of MUA than a suburban mall store.

Audrey C

eyelove.gif

cry.gif
It's sooooooo frustrating. I feel your pain. But in the meantime...

I LOOK FABULOUS!!! I'M DEWY, MY SKIN LOOKS FRESH AND YOUNG. IN SHORT, I'M GLORIOUS.
girlhaha.gif
encore.gif

I'm boring my husband by droning on about this, but if I can listen to him wax poetic about a bunch of grown men chasing a little ball around, he's can just deal with it. The HG of foundations is a moment to be savoured.

Did I mentioned that I look divine????
yahoo.gif

I work at MAC and i can say I see this all the time. Foundations can be a little tricky. This crazyness youve seen is probably due to the fact that each individual sees color a little differently. Instead of looking closely at a color and just picking a number thehy think is close, the artist should be assesing all the details in their head and choosing a color from that. Your fav artist truly understands this concept. Stick with im he is a rare breed!

Audrey C

I work at MAC and i can say I see this all the time. Foundations can be a little tricky. This crazyness youve seen is probably due to the fact that each individual sees color a little differently. Instead of looking closely at a color and just picking a number thehy think is close, the artist should be assesing all the details in their head and choosing a color from that. Your fav artist truly understands this concept. Stick with im he is a rare breed!
He's very good. I'd happily give him all of my MAC business but he's told me himself to order the LE stuff online because they get so little of it and he can't be sure that they'll have more than one or two of something once they've pulled one for swatching and another as a tester. He told me that they frequently come into launch day with 2-3 of an item to sell, and that assumes that another MUA doesn't pull one for themselves first. If I can't be there for store opening, then best to order online.

Re the foundation; I'd prefer that the MUA provide a sample or two for trial at home rather than just sell something that may not suit. All that will lead to is annoyance on the part of the customer and returns; that's not in anyone's (MAC, MUA or customer's) best interests.

Glad I finallly found one that works! :)

duku

I agree with carltonartist, instead of picking a shade/number that is seemingly the closest match MAs should assess the skin and go from there.

I get this a lot too, most recently at Estee Lauder. I went to a counter to get a sample of their new foundation and was matched to 1CN1, tried it at home and it looked a bit off. Tried again at a second counter and this MA was adamant I was 1CN1 too. I asked her to try 1N1 on me (my skin is neutralish but I have a bit of redness in my cheeks), so she tried them both on my jawline and lo and behold 1N1 is a perfect match.

As for MAC, the only foundation I have is Face & Body and I was matched to shade N1. The colour is not quite right but it looks fine when blended so I'll stick with this bottle, but next time I might go for C1 or something.

shaista1985

i am of pretty dark typically indian skin toned..mi always get matched at nc42 and noticed many bloggers of the same skin tone as me use that too in MAC SFF - but i dont know why i prefer to use NC37 instead and feel it looks much better - doesnt seem too ashy in pics eithr wierd

The fact you like NC37 Is great! ALOT of people dont even know about those in between shades. The reason this may work a little nicer is because these shades are variations in warmth based off of the origional shades. They were created to suite those that found particular shades the right tone but made them a little ashy! Use what your comfortable with!

shellygrrl

Staff member
(Better late than never...)
As for MAC, the only foundation I have is Face & Body and I was matched to shade N1. The colour is not quite right but it looks fine when blended so I'll stick with this bottle, but next time I might go for C1 or something.
What do you mean by "the colour is not quite right"? Is it too pink compared to your skin? Or is it too dark?

sereagoso

I am not a huge fan of MAC foundations (they tend to break me out), but I LOVE Face & Body. I can build it up if I want more coverage, and sheer it out if I want less.

I have also had numerous problems getting the MUAs to match my foundation correctly. I have had to plenty of times walk outside after purchasing, realize the color is too dark, and go back in to exchange it for a lighter color knowing they were just going to throw out the product I JUST bought. Very frustrating and a waste ! :/

duku

What do you mean by "the colour is not quite right"? Is it too pink compared to your skin? Or is it too dark?
It's a bit orange on me! I had the same problem with an EL foundation when I was given the palest cool shade, went back and tried the palest neutral shade and that was perfect.