Tips for applying to work for makeup counters?

Hello! I'm new to the site. I have had a love for make up since high school. I'm currently 22 and do not have a cosmetology license.
I have a part time job at Marshall's. I have worked there for over a year now and in the past off and on I have worked for Michael's for a total of about a year. So I do have retail experience. I had a good guy friend of mine who used to work for the local MAC counter teach me a lot about the products and his techniques and I learned a ton from him, then he moved to the lancome counter right next to it before moving to LA. So I know how to match colors and such but I still have a TON to learn about application on other people.

Sorry I'm rambling.. haha!
th_DANCE.gif

But recently I have been thinking of applying at the Lancome counter (located in Macy's) as maybe a beauty consultant. I have also applied to the Ulta that hasn't been completely finished in the mall yet.. But I've heard some bad reviews about working at Ulta. My plan is to maybe work in make up retail a while..while trying to keep my job at Marshall's.. as I'm trying to save money to move to California and go to make up school to get my license there. And then from there maybe freelance or continue working with a counter or store! I have been looking into it a bit, but I don't believe you have to have a cosmetology license to work at a make up counter in Virginia.

Down side tho IMO is that I'm not highly educated/familiar in Lancome products, as I do not use them. I use MAC eyeshadows..(I probably have about $500 worth of MAC products as I collected ALOT during high school..not to mention MAC can be expensive at $15 a eyeshadow!..don't even get me started on brush prices!
wtff.gif
) and Missha BB Cream from S.Korea instead of foundation (it just works well for my skin!). Although if I got the job I would be highly interested in learning about the products! I want to make it in the makeup world one day!(dont we all!
winks.gif
) Does any one have ANY tips, constructive criticism, general knowledge or insight that they would love to share with me?

<3~Courtney!

xStarryEyedX

I have a part time job at Marshall's. I have worked there for over a year now and in the past off and on I have worked for Michael's for a total of about a year. So I do have retail experience. I had a good guy friend of mine who used to work for the local MAC counter teach me a lot about the products and his techniques and I learned a ton from him, then he moved to the lancome counter right next to it before moving to LA. So I know how to match colors and such but I still have a TON to learn about application on other people.
Sorry I'm rambling.. haha!
th_DANCE.gif

But recently I have been thinking of applying at the Lancome counter (located in Macy's) as maybe a beauty consultant. I have also applied to the Ulta that hasn't been completely finished in the mall yet.. But I've heard some bad reviews about working at Ulta. My plan is to maybe work in make up retail a while..while trying to keep my job at Marshall's.. as I'm trying to save money to move to California and go to make up school to get my license there. And then from there maybe freelance or continue working with a counter or store! I have been looking into it a bit, but I don't believe you have to have a cosmetology license to work at a make up counter in Virginia.

Down side tho IMO is that I'm not highly educated/familiar in Lancome products, as I do not use them. I use MAC eyeshadows..(I probably have about $500 worth of MAC products as I collected ALOT during high school..not to mention MAC can be expensive at $15 a eyeshadow!..don't even get me started on brush prices!
wtff.gif
) and Missha BB Cream from S.Korea instead of foundation (it just works well for my skin!). Although if I got the job I would be highly interested in learning about the products! I want to make it in the makeup world one day!(dont we all!
winks.gif
) Does any one have ANY tips, constructive criticism, general knowledge or insight that they would love to share with me?

<3~Courtney!

Hi:),
Have you ever applied makeup on people before or are you brand new to that? If not, I would start out at an Ulta/Sephora where they are more likely to hire people who are brand new to the industry. Maybe even a counter like Clinique/Lancome etc... I would wait a few years for MAC though, they don't hire unless you already have makeup experience:). It is great that you already have retail under your belt though, Ulta/Sephora should definitely be interested with you having that. Then you work your way up from there! I definitely wouldn't talk about how makeup is expensive though, I know when people used to say MAC was expensive we all used to get a little annoyed since it's the cheapest high end line out there.. It might offend whoever you're interviewing with/make it sound like you aren't confident in selling their product etc... Get your resume all pretty, get a cute outfit, do your hair/makeup and go apply=)

Yeah my plan when typing this thread was to go and apply at the Lancome counter. And to answer your question: No I havn't done much application on other people. Haha and it shows you how much I know about make up as apparently I consider MAC expensive! Thank you for your tips tho! I really appreciate it!

xStarryEyedX

Yeah my plan when typing this thread was to go and apply at the Lancome counter. And to answer your question: No I havn't done much application on other people. Haha and it shows you how much I know about make up as apparently I consider MAC expensive! Thank you for your tips tho! I really appreciate it!
It's okay, you'll learn. If Lancome doesn't happen right away try Sephora:). They pay about the same (I believe), but it seems like Sephora will work on training you a bit more, plus better gratis=). A lot of people think of MAC as expensive, and that's fine everyone considers different things expensive- I just wouldn't mention that stuff to managers or anything like that.

Ah gotcha! Yeah I don't have a Sephora anywhere near by, but I do have a interview with Ulta on Friday! I'm excited! Hope this store wolnt be as bad as the ones I've read about!