Trip to Germany/Austria from Toronto - I need TIPS!

VDUB*BELLA

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Germany (Frankfurt) and then driving down to Austria (Lake Worthersee) May 17th - 25th

Any tips to take with me? Could be anything - where to eat, how to drive on the autobahn (cant wait!
yahoo.gif
)

I havent been to Europe (Poland) in 20 years (since I was born!) I know things are wayyy different. What to expect??

leogecko

Do you just stay in Frankfurt or do you want to visit other cities in Germany too?
In Frankfurt you should visit the "Zeil" if you are interested in shopping. Or do you want to see more culture?
Do you know what route (just direction) you will take from Frankfurt to Austria? I live in Mannheim/Heidelberg and Heidelberg is absolutely worth a trip!!! The castle, the old bridge....really beautiful!

crystalic_oxyge

well theres nothing really important if you go to austria... maybe just bare in mind that the austrian accent isnt really the german one, so if your not really good in german, and after you will be adapted a bit to the "german" german language, it will be quite different for you to understand "austrian" german. plus each region has their own accents again, so for example in burgenland its even for us viennese hard to understand them. i think in korenthia (region of the woerther lake) is gonna be quite ok. as i said just remember adapting to "both" german languages. but usually everyone understands english, so your gonna be ok.
winks.gif

the rest should be fine. austrians are friendly. being on a lake is really lovely!!!! usually staying in cottages or typical gastwirte... where a family owns their own "hotel" is usually the nicest, because its really clean, theyr usually really friendly and prices are really ok.

austrias lakes are really beautiful... really quiet and relaxing.
so have fun and enjoy your trip! =)

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogecko
Do you just stay in Frankfurt or do you want to visit other cities in Germany too?
In Frankfurt you should visit the "Zeil" if you are interested in shopping.

In the "Zeil" you can also find the MAC counter in Frankfurt. The counter belongs to the perfumery Douglas.

Parfümerie Douglas
Zeil 100
60313 Frankfurt
Germany
069 / 133 869 152

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogecko
In Frankfurt you should visit the "Zeil" if you are interested in shopping.

In the "Zeil" you can also find the MAC counter in Frankfurt. The counter belongs to the perfumery Douglas.

Parfümerie Douglas
Zeil 100
60313 Frankfurt
Germany
069 / 133 869 152

Here is Frankfurt's official homepage. You will find many useful hints for tourism, culture or eating also in English!

Frankfurt am Main: frankfurt.de