UKers... where do you go to buy your mac?

c00ki312

yeah. overall i think selfridges is a bad place to go. i went in one MORNING to find the place packed with 2 MAs making up girls and about 5 MAs free. i was standing around waiting to be served but no-one approaced me even though i made eye contact with a few. its not a good shopping experience so i made the walk to the carnaby street pro store where it was empty and was served by a really lovely MA.

SamMakeup

There isn't a decent MAC near me anymore
weeping.gif

Browns of Chester used to have fantastic staff who all know that I'm a MUA and would either leave me to play with stuff and choose what I liked, or if they were free, would come over and we'd all end up choosing colours and playing together!

however, the Manager Tracey left about a year ago, and one by one all the really great staff followed her.

now, the staff who are there, look straight down their noses at me, because I know what I want, and if I happen to go in wearing my logo'd t-shirt or Jacket (which says clearly Makeup Artist) they huff and sniff at me :confused:

and selfridges in the Trafford Centre was probably the most ridiculous experience ever, and I refuse to go there on principle of how stupid their staff are.

I took a group of clients to their concession, and was colour matching one client. she was an NC15, and even that was almost verging on too dark. the sales assistant didn't have one, so offered us NC25
rofl.gif
ssad.gif
how ridiculous.

I also picked up a bride 2 weeks before her wedding, cos she'd booked and paid a trafford centre MAC girl to do her makeup on Dec 23rd, but the MAC girl decided at the last minute that she'd work in the store instead, and could do bride's makeup at 8am only (bride got married at 4pm) not good service AT ALL!!!! Good for me though
rofl.gif

JCBean

I'm in Bristol, and go to the MAC counter in Debenhams in Broadmead-the girls there are wonderful-sooo helpful, there's one particular girl who's make up always looks amazing and she gives great advice. Must find out her name!

Leopardskinny

My local is the Glasgow HOF. I've always had good experiences there, although once when I went in they were rushed off their feet so didn't have much time. I like it that they aren't all "in your face" in Glasgow, as I really get freacked out by MA's badgering me and making me feel uncomfortable.

ritchieramone

Glasgow House of Fraser is closest to me but I'm not often in Glasgow to go there. I usually buy online instead which means that I'm frequently surprised by how products look in real life when they arrive.

MsCocoa

I agree that Selfridges is not the best past for a good experience, I never realised the Carnaby St branch was a pro store all I know is that it's so hidden! The Covent Garden one is nice, never been to High St Ken though or Harvey Nic's.

melliquor

I love Selfridges. The girls there are so lovely. I do agree though it is really busy there but if you go in the morning, it isn't so bad. I also like the pro store but they are really rude there. I don't spend much of my money there. The only time I will go there is when I am looking for a pro item.

Jot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
Newcastle eldon square in Fenwicks =)

snap! me too.
also going to make frequent visits to the mac shop brighton when i go to visit the in-laws!

Jot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent
There's only one anywhere near me, and that Fenwicks in Newcastle. It's part of a huge cosmetics hall (they claim its the biggest outside London, I don't know how true this is) and while a lot of the SA's on the HE counters are rather snobbish older ladies there is a really lovely girl at MAC. She has bright pink hair and fantastic uberbright make up, very well done (the only girl I've ever seen look good in chrome yellow!). I've only ever been served by her, I think the other SA's deliberately leave me to her, since I've got crazy coloured hair too and they probably think I'll spend more with her. They're probably right actually.
winks.gif

I know who you mean and she is my prefered MA at MAC she is fab and always is so chatty!

NoAddedSugar

In London I've sworn off Selfridges MAC and now only go to the Shop near Carnaby Street. Harrod's is too far away from where I am usually.

c00ki312

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCocoa
I agree that Selfridges is not the best past for a good experience, I never realised the Carnaby St branch was a pro store all I know is that it's so hidden! The Covent Garden one is nice, never been to High St Ken though or Harvey Nic's.

high street ken branch is sooooo quiet no matter what time of day it is thats y i always go there if i want to browse as theres someone on hand to help immediatly..BUT i was there the other day and i picked up e/s i wanted to bring over to the ma but the guy ma said 'errm i need those back' n took them out of my hands. i was like 'wtf!'...but overall a pleasent place to go for no crowds
cheerleader.gif
pro store has really nice ma too but its waaayyyyy too busy for me plus the shop is so tiny u can hardly move!

MisaMayah

Most of the time I go to the PRO store in Soho (off Carnaby St). They're really friendly and smiley.

Selfridges I go to as it's only up the road. But only if I happen to be down that end first! It is always busy in there and there are never enough MUAs to help you. One girl was so rude i wanted to punch her lights out. I was getting a whole bunch of things and she was trying to rush me...urgh idiot. There is one American girl in there who's cool tho.

Then there's Brent Cross Fenwicks..hmm,lol. Firstly there's a certain someone in there who's so clueless about the MAC range it was shocking. I wanted a pigment from the Rushmetal collection and they started looking in the permanent range for it, telling me they dont have it..and they did -duh. Then I told them only three things I needed and they kept coming back to me to ask what is was I wanted AGAIN and still got the wrong ones!!! I only go there if Selfridges/Soho are out of stock of an LE item.

I've beent o the Kings Road one ages ago, that's where i fell in love with MAC,lol. It's too out of the way for me to get to but I do remember the experience being pleasant.

Lastly High St.Kensington MAC is lovely, I dont know why I dont go there more often. There's hardly any people in there so you get really good service.

MsCocoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaMayah
Most of the time I go to the PRO store in Soho (off Carnaby St). They're really friendly and smiley.

Selfridges I go to as it's only up the road. But only if I happen to be down that end first! It is always busy in there and there are never enough MUAs to help you. One girl was so rude i wanted to punch her lights out. I was getting a whole bunch of things and she was trying to rush me...urgh idiot. There is one American girl in there who's cool tho.

Assuming we're talking about the same person she's so lovely and was very helpful.

Claire84

I get my MAC at Debenhams in Belfast, and the service is pretty good there. Sometimes head down to Dublin and get it in Brown Thomas as well.

However, I'm a lazy sod a lot of the time and just order it online.
winks.gif