University Project, Your Tattoos and their meaning, please help!

knoxydoll

That phoenix is cool. I've always liked them too but they just won't fit in with my theme... well they won't yet since I can't think of a way to incorperate them, them and pin-up girl. I want one so badly but it just wouldn't make sense with the rest of my ink.

MisStarrlight

The ones with some sort of meaning....

First tattoo:
untitled.jpg

I came up with it doodling in high school & when I was old enough I figured I'd get it tattooed...we always had to do "symbollic self portraits" in art classes, so that was mine.
I'm not really a fan of this one that much anymore (kinda shitty work & has faded a lot over the years) I can't decide if I want to get it covered up eventually or turn it into this vine thing up my rib cage-when I loose weight, that is.

tattoo2.jpg

I am obsessed with Alice in Wonderland & time & it was mid-way through my 3rd year of college-at a point where I was completely questioning my future & all that....and just before I turned my attention way from teaching & more toward makeup & stuff like that.
I really like this one & may eventually turn it into an Alice back piece.

(no pic)
An ankh on the back of my neck. My best friend's little sister was murdered. My best friend, her husband, her sister's best friend & I all got it together. Nikki was only 18 when she was killed & it was the only tattoo she had the chance to get....and it means eternal life afterall. As soon as her killer is sentenced I am adding wings (from the Egyptian goddess of justice)...this also helps it read more as a memorial tattoo than like I'm some goth kid who just got an ankh cause it "looked cool".

tat.jpg

My most recent...I wanted something traditional. It doesn't make that much sense in this pic, but I am a natural redhead & totally play into the firery & sexual stereotype.

and cause I'm cool, the planned ones...
*a 1/2 sleeve of a geisha putting on makeup (mixing traditional American & Japanese styles)
*Libra & Virgo symbols on either front shoulder (where the cool girls get the nautical starts, but it may turn into some type of chestpiece) cause I'm obsessed w/ divination & was born on the day the signs changed & always wanted to wear the zodiac stuff, but never could cause I'm both.
*a tiger lily on my foot w/ my sister (it's my favorite flower & she always stole my tiger lily hair thing when I wasn't looking)

I don't really have any "regrets" about any of my tattoos (although if I do end up teaching, the Poison girl is going to be hard to cover every day)..I just wish that I had a theme or a common style/thread through all of them...so that they kinda go together instead of random, isolated pieces. I'm really big on tying things together, but have changed a lot in my own style over the years that it's kinda impossible that I would have planned it all from the start-but that just gives me something to work toward from now on.

Kat

Here is mine....my first, not sure if I'm going to get another. I thought about getting one for years before I did (i'm 25, have wanted once since i was about 18) and the inspiration for this came in a blinding flash and i know it was exactly the right thing for me. I never do things by halves so I knew in my heart that getting something so big and black was the right thing for me to do with my first (and maybe only) one.

2007031127561_edited.jpg

Here is the poster it is taken from....the halo on my actual tattoo is really detailed but hard to see because it's a crap photo....

chatnoir.jpg

This is how i described what i wanted the poster turned into to a friend in an email....

I like the texture of the fur and the lighter coloured contours, and the fact that it's a black cat but not cutesy. I want the tail hanging down, curled to one side, and pronounced ears and whiskers like the ones on the poster. Generally, I would like the head and body to be shaped a little more femininely (is that a word??) as well. But I like the rough fur – gives it an edge. I want it to convey sass, attitude and class without having to use a face. I like the halo around the head, and would like roman numerals for my birth year in there.

And here is the blurb about the poster, which is worded much better than I could ever explain it at this time of night!

"When the artist-cum-entrepreneur Rodolphe Salis died in 1897, the inscription on his tombstone read: "God created the world, Napoleon the Legion of Honor, and I, Montmartre." While Salis, the owner of the celebrated Chat Noir (Black Cat) cabaret, exaggerated his importance, his epitaph correctly suggests the fundamental role played by the Chat Noir in the development of Montmartre. Salis' "cabaret-artistique" opened its doors in 1881, and almost immediately became a gathering spot for avant-garde artists, poets, musicians, and writers, who used the cabaret as a sort of artistic laboratory to recite poems, sing chansons, and exhibit paintings. The cabaret's name, chosen for its multiple associations with sources as diverse as Edgar Allan Poe and French folktales, itself became a leitmotif for the district. Artists regularly used images of the black cat, as in Théophile-Alexandre Steinlen's poster Tournée du Chat Noir. Steinlen's poster, with the black cat sitting upright and a halo surrounding its head with the inscription "Montjoye Montmartre," advertises the Chat Noir cabaret, while conjuring the sensual, mysterious, independent, and nocturnal culture of Montmartre."

Really, for me it's a symbol of the fact that yes, I am a cultural wanker and I am proud. I am heavily into film and music and love and appreciate all forms of art. Art nouveau (the period of the poster) is one of my favourite periods in that it was about bridging the gap between 'elite' art and art that wasn't....well...considered elite. And i particularly like the last sentence of that blurb - the adjectives are how I would like to think of myself.

It also helps that I am quite fond of felines! Basically I love the tattoo SO much I won't be getting another one until something else comes to me in the same blinding flash - and I'm not sure that will happen. At the moment all i know is that i am quite enamoured with the idea of a pair, but not sure where i would get them. Or a side. Then there is the question of colour - i intentionally don't have colour in this one. I LOVE it on other people (yours are gorgeous girls) but I'm not sure it's for me.

And i have a thing about stylistic continuity on me (once again, this is just my personal preference, for my own body)....so would i get the same art style or what? Or continue the Cabaret theme? My favourite movie is 'Cabaret', and it's so visually stunning i'm sure a gorgeous tattoo could come out of it. I also love text tattoos, but can't think of anything I would want on me forever (btw I have loved that Alice in Wonderland one ever since i first saw it!).

Oh, and it's about 20cm (10 inches or so) from top to bottom when I'm standing up. When i bend over it almost doubles in size and STILL looks as fantastic. I love my artist for it hehe.

I'll stop gushing now!

Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxydoll
I love that poster. I actually have it on a wall in my studio.

Thank you! It keeps popping up in my life. And the black cat motif as well. It really is the perfect tattoo for me.

*Luna*

I will add a pic of them later. My first tattoo is of a fairy on my lower back. She is sitting with her head tilted downward, a blank and expresionless face and long hair... it's close to what I looked like at the time I got it. I had was going through a rough time in my life, and had severe depression issues. It's a reminder to me to never go back to that place.

My second tattoo is a group of 4 star outlines on the top of my left foot. When I was little I wanted to be an astronaut sooo bad. To this day I would give almost anything to go to the moon. I have been obsessed with space and stars and the moon since early childhood. It's a reminder to me that even though I didn't follow that path, I can still follow my dreams. Basically, a symbol of the original dream.

My next tattoo will either be the Aum symbol or a Triquertra... eventually I will have both. The Triquertra represents me on several different levels. Where I used to be spiritually (Pagan) and where I am now (Christian), and how they tie together. to me it represents the Holy Trinity, The Tripple Goddess, and Mind, Body and Soul... All wrapped into one.

The syllable Aum is first described as all-encompassing mystical entity, and so it's another spiritual thing for me.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
Thank you! It keeps popping up in my life. And the black cat motif as well. It really is the perfect tattoo for me.

Hehe, i thought he was drinking from a saucer of milk
smiles.gif

Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Hehe, i thought he was drinking from a saucer of milk
smiles.gif

hehe a few people have said that! But i don't mind that it could be from either perspective.

Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusalox
I want a black cat tattoo so, so bad.
smiles.gif

Look around on www.bmeink.com - the tattoo galleries are free at the moment, you usually have to pay after the first 100 images or something. there is a girl on there who is covered in cat tattos - i swear she has at least 5. Japanese good luck cat, halloween cat etc etc. Hot!

MisStarrlight

One of my best friends is obsessed w/ cats...she must have at least 10. She even has the sugar/poison girls as cats on her chest.

Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
One of my best friends is obsessed w/ cats...she must have at least 10. She even has the sugar/poison girls as cats on her chest.

Do you think she could be convinced to post some photos?
winks.gif
I'd love to see them haha

Macnarsandlove

This is my first tattoo. I got it when I was 15 from a sleazy shop across the street from a high school. It was a week before I turned 16 and it’s hard to see but it’s my middle name with a blue (aquamarine) jewel. It’s faded and my middle name is Jewelle and I’m named after my grandmother, Jewel. I drew it and thought I was artistic and stuff.
DSC00492.jpg

This is my second tattoo. I got it when I was feeling down and I was really depressed. It’s and angel praying and crying. This was a big deal for me because I thought it out and this guy I was going to school with drew it for me. It was exactly what I wanted and it took me a while to save up. I wasn’t sure what I wanted the face to look like at the time and that’s exactly how I wanted it. I usually get really pissed when ppl have a comment about the size.
DSC00494.jpg

This is my third tattoo. I was looking at around at the magazine and I saw the the new Trina cd. Yeah I can’t believe I’m saying this but I loved the tribal design and it’s kind of in the shape of a T which is my first initial. Plus it kind of looks like 2 snakes which I think is cool. I ripped it out and when to the tattoo shop the next day. I love the spot because it’s kind of unusual. Here’s a funny but true tidbit. I got this tattoo in 2001. In 2002 Trina came out with a cd called “Diamond Princess”. The logo on her cd is my first tattoo I got in 1999. That’s creepy. And if you don’t know who Trina is she’s the southern equivalent of Lil Kim or Foxy Brown. The one on the left is her first cd that I copied of her and the second is where she got me for my ideas. Ah ha. Sorry I just think that this is too funny.
DSC00490.jpg

This was my fourth tattoo. I really love my family so I drew up this design and on the left is my mom’s initials, right is my dad’s, and below is my sister’s. It’s a tribal family tree. I found this really funny that all these stars and females now have wrist or forearm tattoos because when I got it everyone wanted tramp stamps. Lol.
DSC00488.jpg

My fifth atoo is my last name I just got married and was feeling like I lost a part of me along with my last name so igot it on me.
DSC00485.jpg

This next tattoo is a funny one. Last week I finally go what I wanted. My start on my leg tattoo. I gave up the dreams of a sleeve due to the whole professional image thing and decided to get a leg tattoo. They don’t fade as fast, coverable if need be- not ashamed at all but I’m trying to get paid. I just recently had a whole bunch of stuff happen to me and I figured why not now. It’s an image of a woman that I did to my likeness. I didn’t want it to be exact because that’s too narcissistic. I put a lot of though into it cause I can add on easily. It has a woman surrounded by wings with Japanese style waves. The other things in it include a pair of dice (snake eyes) because I have horrible luck, an Aries symbol cause that my sign, and a tube of lipstick. The lipstick is really special not just because I am a fiend for MAC but I was the ugly duckling. The classic quiet and frumpy “Ugly Betty” type until after I graduated H.S. and came into my own. I matured and became a woman and makeup definitely helped.
DSC00480.jpg

Thanks for looking!

M.A.C.tastic

i have 12 tattoos of various meaning, sizes, shapes etc. but I will share with you 2 of my favorite, and most recent, only because going through them would be a royal pain lol.

This is by far my favorite. I actually got it Saturday night with the hubby....I am a makeup artist and it is a very important part of me, the source of income, and how I started my own business, so anyway....it is on my forearm.
tattoos001.jpg

This I actually got Thursday night (most of the 12 are spread over the last 6 years, but I got 2 this week, usually its 2 a year lol). My husband and I just found out 3 weeks ago his mother has breast cancer and she went in for her second surgery in two weeks last monday, that is obvioulsy the reason behind this (and it is on the top of my wrist.)
tattoos003.jpg

if i get some time, I will post more....and excuse the spelling, I am typing in the dark as my hubby is sleeping haha.

eighmii

l_55ae776e6716a4e6bfcc66a264c2158d.jpg

This is only pic I have of two of mine. I got them when I was 15.. and theres not many places that will do under 18 tattoos even with consent.. so they need to be touched up really bad. The pink flowers are representative of my mom and my aunt (on my dads side) that both overcame breast cancer.. so I put them on opposite sides of my back. Then I decided to put them in swallows mouths because I really like old school tattoos.

I have another one on my hipbone that I got when I was 16. Its a skull and crossbones with a pink bow with a diamond in the bow. Its a really personal tattoo. I usually don't tell people what it means.. but... I used to be a cutter.. ( I dont like that word..) for 4 years. And since I was so ashamed of it I would never do it on my wrist to risk being caught.. So I would do it on my hip. Then when I finally... got over it? Quit? I dont know.. I got that tattoo.. The deadly symbol.. Sorta like saying "NO MORE". And I'm proud to say I only have once since I got the tattoo almost 2 years ago. So I think that one almost means more to me then the swallows. I dont have a picture of it.. But if you've seen the cute girly skull earrings from Claires, its based on those. But I added crossbones, and its bigger.

yeah...

Urbana

i love them all!!!!!!!
today i went to a studio, cos my brother wanted a piercing, and i wanted to look at the books to find some inspiration for a tattoo, but it was so crowded i just couldnt
ssad.gif

anyway, they are so expensive, at least here, i dont think i can afford one at least now. but i already have one, so i'll try to take a pic soon and post it here
greengrin.gif

KAIA

i have 3.

first one i did it when i was 15, is a small tribal around my left arm, i did it bacause at that age i learned i had bulimia i was really bad, my weight was about 88 pounds and i am 5'5" ,but i actually been suffering of this since i was 6 years or so; just at 15 it was really obvious and everybody found out. So this tribal means like an attachment to that (bulimia), i know it might not be a positive meaning but it reminds me to that f***ed up period of my life...
Second one i did it when i was 16, is a red chinese letter that means "UNFAIR" and it is on my right ankle, the reason behind it??? well i think my life is unfair, pretty negative person i am...
Third one i did it when i was 17 , is on the back of my neck (?)*
again i did the red chinese letter, meaning "STRONG" this time...actually my first and (now EX boyfriend) we both did it together in the very exact same place just mine is red his is black, we did it 'cause you know.. when you're 17 you think you'll stay with that person forever and ever, we thought our love was strong... Even though we are not together (but we still friends) it means a lot to me, i did it truly ,deeply, madly in love ... it was the first time i fell for someone i gave him EVERYTHING!!! lol so you know.... i know he still has his ...
I'm 22 now, i have planned more tattoos ... but you know, this MAC addiction... everytime i want to get one done boom! new collection coming out.. but i'll get one soon.... muahahahahaah *evil laugh*

*sorry sometimes my english sucks but trying to get better...