• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Up in Smoke Tutorial (for the Frugal at Heart) (VERY pic heavy!)

EDIT: Sorry this disappeared before. It's back now. =D

Hey girls! So I've been a long-time lurker here, learning from you all, but I figured it's about time I post something. I know this is a MAC forum, which excites me and intimidates me at the same time because although I'm learning soooo much about the godliness that is MAC Cosmetics, I also can't really afford any of it. I am the most frugal person you'll ever meet so most of my makeup consists of the cheapest of drugstore makeup (read: E.L.F.)

But I'm here today to show you that you CAN achieve intense, dramatic makeup looks even with the cheapest of makeup. This is my first tutorial ever and I'm by no means a makeup expert so... play nice.
tong.gif

See this? I spent less than $7 on this look. Intrigued now, aren't ya?
yes.gif
Keep on reading...
IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

~*MY WEAPONS*~
IMG_2572.jpg

- Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer Instant Age Rewind Concealer in Yellow ($1)
- E.L.F. Brightening Eye Color quad in Butternut ($1, free)
- E.L.F. Brightening Eye Color quad in Drama ($1, free)
- Capful of water
- Bon Bons Eye Shadow Powder in White ($0.88)
- L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara in Black ($7.49, free)
- Jordana Easy Eyeliner in Black ($1.50, free)

- E.L.F. Eye Shadow Brush ($1, free)
- E.L.F. Blending Eye Brush ($1, free)
- emergency girl Blend That Shadow! Brush ($2.99, $1)
- emergency girl Drama Queen! Brush ($2.99, $1)
- emergency girl Line 'Em Up! ($2.99, $1)
- Essence of Beauty Fine Conceal Brush ($4.99 in duo pack, $2.50 for duo pack)
- E.L.F. Mechanical Eyelash Curler ($1, free)

[I listed the prices of all the items I used and the prices I got the items at, if different from the original price.]

LET'S GET STARTED...

IMG_2576.jpg

1. My naked eye.

IMG_2579.jpg

2. Use Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer as a base from lid to brow bone, as well as under eye to conceal dark circles. Curl lashes.

IMG_2580.jpg

3. Use E.L.F. Eye Shadow Brush to apply white shadow from E.L.F. Drama quad from lid to brow bone. (It doesn’t seem very obvious here.)

IMG_2582.jpg

4. Use the same brush to apply Bon Bons white shadow to inner corner.

IMG_2585.jpg
IMG_2586.jpg

5. Use the same brush to apply the light gray shadow from the E.L.F. Drama quad to the inner middle lid. For the shadows on the lid, I wet the brush by dipping it in the cap of water and wiping off the excess just so the colors would show up better on camera.

IMG_2587.jpg

6. Use the same brush to apply the dark gray shadow from the same quad to the outer part of the eye.

IMG_2590.jpg
IMG_2595.jpg
IMG_2594.jpg

7. Use the same brush to apply the black shadow from the same quad to the very outer corner of the lid. You don’t have to blend yet.

IMG_2596.jpg
IMG_2603.jpg
IMG_2600.jpg

8. Use the E.L.F. Blending Eye Brush to apply the black shadow to the crease. Place the tip of the brush in the crease at the end of the lid and make tiny circles inward. Use windshield wiper motions to blend slightly.

IMG_2606.jpg
IMG_2607.jpg
IMG_2609.jpg

9. Use the emergency girl Blend That Shadow! Brush to apply the medium brown shadow from the E.L.F. Eye Brightening Eye Color quad in Butternut above the crease. You don’t necessarily need to use this brush; the E.L.F. Blending Eye Brush will do.

IMG_2611.jpg
IMG_2612.jpg

10. Use the Blending Eye Brush to define the brown using the dark brown shadow. Apply between the upper crease and the top of where the medium brown shadow ended.

IMG_2613.jpg
IMG_2614.jpg
IMG_2615.jpg
IMG_2617.jpg

11. Go back with the same brush and the black shadow to further define the outer corner of the lid and the outer crease.

IMG_2618.jpg
IMG_2619.jpg
IMG_2620.jpg

12. Use the Blend That Shadow! brush (or really any brush) to apply the white shadow to the brow bone as a highlight and to blend the dark shadow upward.

IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2624.jpg

13. With the emergency girl Drama Queen! brush (or any brush) to apply the shimmery white powder shadow to the inner corner of the eye.

IMG_2625.jpg

14. Use the Essence of Beauty Fine Conceal Brush wet to apply the shimmery white shadow to the inner 1/3 of the lower lid. (I use this brush kind of like a pencil brush even though I know Essence of Beauty has a brush for this purpose. Use what you’ve got, right?)

IMG_2629.jpg

15. Continue using the brush wet to apply the dark gray shadow from the Drama quad to the middle 1/3 of the lower lid. Apply the black shadow to the outer 1/3. (Somewhere between this step and the last one, I apparently decided to fill in my brows with a combo of the dark brown and black shadow with the liner brush.)

IMG_2630.jpg
IMG_2632.jpg
IMG_2633.jpg

16. Thinly line the top lid and lower waterline with Jordana Easy Eyeliner in Black. Go over top lashline with a wet liner brush and black shadow in you choose. (Feel free to line your eyes as dramatically as you wish. It’s hard for me to maneuver using an automatic pencil so I just stuck to a thin, natural line.)

IMG_2636.jpg

17. Apply mascara to upper and lower lashes. (I only apply one coat because I didn’t want to bother with washing too much off afterward. But of course mascara and even false lashes are key to a smoky look so feel free to do as your
heart.gif
desires.)

IMG_2637.jpg
IMG_2638.jpg
IMG_2639.jpg

18. VOILA! DONE.
dothewave.gif
(I forgot to apply concealer to the redness on the outer corner of my eye. Whoopsies.)

Hopefully that was helpful and I wasn’t all over the place or too long-winded. Any feedback is certainly welcome (both on the makeup and on the tutorial.) This look is a recreation of the original EOTD, but I don’t think there are any drastic differences. You really only need half the brushes I used to create this look. Just the ELF brushes and the EOB brushe or just the orange brushes would do.

IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

Thanks for sitting through and reading the entire thing. Ciao!
kissy.gif

lsperry

A "WOW" tutorial. Thanks for coming out of lurking and showing us your skills. This is useful to a lot a people what can't afford a lot of MAC.

Keep posting and send some FOTDs our way, too!

What a great job! I enjoyed it.

Patricia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsperry
A "WOW" tutorial. Thanks for coming out of lurking and showing us your skills. This is useful to a lot a people what can't afford a lot of MAC.

Keep posting and send some FOTDs our way, too!

What a great job! I enjoyed it.

totally agree, keep posting even if you don't use mac!

i loved this
thmbup.gif

AppleDiva

Very pretty... How do you like the ELF blending brush? It made my skin itch, but the ELF e/s brush is soft and nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDiva
Very pretty... How do you like the ELF blending brush? It made my skin itch, but the ELF e/s brush is soft and nice.

It's not the best brush in the word. It doesn't make me itch per se, but it is prickly since the hairs are all scraggly and uneven. I still like it though because it gets the job done. And I also really like the regular eye shadow brush too; I think that's a lot of people's favorite brush from ELF.
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoune
Love your tut! I hope to see more from you
greengrin.gif

emergency girl? where might I find that? o.o

Believe it or not, I got it at Limited Too all those years ago when I actually shopped at Limited Too. They don't usually sell makeup brushes, but they randomly had some that were buy 1, get 2 free and I picked them up at the time because it was a steal even though I didn't know much about makeup. I don't think you'll be able to find them anywhere since like I said, I got them ages ago and I've never seen them before that to begin with. Bummer though; they're actually REALLY good brushes and have lasted me all this time.