Valentine's Day

crazy4lex04

So what are your plans for Valentine's Day?
Spending time with your hunny?
Hanging out with the girls?

I'm going to dinner with my boyfriend and that's all he will tell me. When I tell people this, some of them roll their eyes and say that they hate Valentine's Day (even people who have boyfriends). I don't get it. What is it about Valentine's Day that is so horrible? You get to spend time with the person who means the most to you.
hmm.gif

Maybe you guys can figure it out...

xbeatofangelx

My boyfriend and I have decided not to do anything special, just go out to dinner at a regular place and chill/sleep at home.

Why? I guess because... Valentine's day is special to everyone - not just us. I feel like it's just another day, and he can show his love with presents/pampering any other meaningful day (6 month coming up!
greengrin.gif
)

I like receiving flowers, gifts, candy on the 14th, but for us there are more important things to save up for
greengrin.gif
like our cruise!

That said, I'm still looking forward to a late night special
greengrin.gif

faifai

I think some people dislike it because

...it's a very commercialized holiday (then again, which one isn't these days?), and makes it seem like you must buy x boxes of chocolate, y amount of roses, and go to dinner for z amount of dollars to have your sentiments be valid. And also because people act differently on this day when they ought to be loving 365 days a year.

...of the expectation and entitlement it brings. I know girls who want diamond jewelry especially for V-Day from their boyfriends who have $10/hour jobs. What is that? Why do you need stuff to prove someone's emotions for you?

...they're bitter about being alone on a day all about love/sex/being in a romantic relationship, either because they don't have a partner or can't be with their partner on the 14th.

...of the mushy gushy lovey doveyness and inevitable PDA that happens.

...they don't like the color red, pink, lingerie, lace, wine, candlelight, velvet, satin, silk, handcuffs, scented flowers, diamonds, chocolate, whipped cream, and having "what's sexy, romantic, etc." dictated to them.

...their favorite restaurants get all clogged up by people who normally would never go there.

Well, those are just a few.
smiles.gif

Personally, I'll be spending my V-Day with my significant other just hangin out like we always do. We go out to nice dinners and buy each other random gifts all the time, it's like every day is Valentine's Day! Hurray. And to me there's nothing better than just enjoying each other's company, sans all the frills that lead to empty thrills. I'll be having a nice day, no silly nearly-naked outfits, food where food should not go, or overpriced dinners required.

crazy4lex04

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
I think some people dislike it because

...they don't like the color red, pink, lace, velvet, satin, silk, handcuffs, scented flowers, diamonds, chocolate, whipped cream, and having "what's sexy, romantic, etc." dictated to them.

hmm i think those might be my favorite parts lol

and well im only in high school but i've been with my boyfriend for over 2 years, but my parents are pretty struct and i can only usually see him once a week (twice if i'm lucky lol) and he doesn't go to my school. but for Valentine's Day I'm able to see him an extra day so I really love Valentine's Day, even if it just means doing the usual stuff

Tyester

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4lex04
So what are your plans for Valentine's Day?
Spending time with your hunny?
Hanging out with the girls?

I'm going to dinner with my boyfriend and that's all he will tell me. When I tell people this, some of them roll their eyes and say that they hate Valentine's Day (even people who have boyfriends). I don't get it. What is it about Valentine's Day that is so horrible? You get to spend time with the person who means the most to you.
hmm.gif

What about the people who don't have a person that means "the most" to you?(thankfully there are a few for me, and they should know it)

Or not being able to be with that person who means the most to you?

Or just buying into a day designed to show that person that means the most to you that you do? Shouldn't everyday be that way? Certainly so.

Coincidence I'm single too? Perhaps.

Raerae

Quote:
I don't get it. What is it about Valentine's Day that is so horrible? You get to spend time with the person who means the most to you.
hmm.gif

Simple...

It shoulnd't take a Hallmark Holiday for your signifigant other to think to give you flowers, tell you he loves you, or show signs of affection. That should be an everday thing.

Not to mention as it's, "singles awareness day" it points out the absurdity that your somehow "supposed" to be in a relationship.

I shoulnd't have to wait for a specifc day of the year to be reminded of how much he loves me. I'd much rather be surprised by random bouts of affection, instead of expecting him to give me roses, and dinner, and lingerie on Feb 14th.

Raerae

Quote:
hmm i think those might be my favorite parts lol

and well im only in high school but i've been with my boyfriend for over 2 years, but my parents are pretty struct and i can only usually see him once a week (twice if i'm lucky lol) and he doesn't go to my school. but for Valentine's Day I'm able to see him an extra day so I really love Valentine's Day, even if it just means doing the usual stuff

lol... if my parents were like this, I would have been taking off the screen and sneaking out at 1am LOL...

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
Personally, I'll be spending my V-Day with my significant other just hangin out like we always do. We go out to nice dinners and buy each other random gifts all the time, it's like every day is Valentine's Day! Hurray. And to me there's nothing better than just enjoying each other's company, sans all the frills that lead to empty thrills. I'll be having a nice day, no silly nearly-naked outfits, food where food should not go, or overpriced dinners required.

Well said.

aeni

We celebrated early doing the same thing every other weekend we see each other. This just happened to have 2 cards and 2 heart boxes.

MAC_Whore

My husband and I don't celebrate Valentine's day. It's a big Hallmark commercial. We both agree on this. We just feel like there are too many couples who treat each other like they should only on Valentine's day. Not to be hokey, but everyday should be Valentine's day.

I just think a lot of women expect too much and a lot of men feel too much pressure. What's the point of that? Not a recipe for enjoyment or romance. I know that sounds weird coming from a dame, but what can I say?

There really isn't much thought if someone buys a dozen red roses and chocolate. I mean it's a nice gesture and all, but it doesn't necessarily say that that person really knows you. For example, my favorite flower is a Casablanca Lily. It smells so incredibly lush. I would rather receive one Casablanca Lily than 5 dozen red roses, because there is sincere thought behind it. I'm easy to please on Valentine's day. Good conversation, a laugh and an orgasm and I'm happy as could be. Then again, that's like most of my days. So hey, I'm a happy girl.

IslandGirl77

I have to agree with everyone's point that everyday should be like Valentines. But, my man is cooking me dinner and we are just going to chill and enjoy each other that's it. I think I do at least deserve a dinner. I clean, cook, take care of kids, and work part time at night everyday...sooo a dinner cooked by him is nice.
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

I used to hate Valentine's Day because it is a commercialized holiday that puts such an emphasis on being in a relationship. One day of romantic gestures (mostly cliche ones) does not make up for the other 364 days of the year, yet other people treat it as such.

However, I realized that similar arguments can be applied to Christmas, which has become even more commercialized and getting the it gift of the year becomes more important than the true meaning (Jesus Christ's birthday) and the secondary meaning (being with people you love). That's why I decided that I was going to make the most Valentine's Day and make it what I wanted it to be. Screw Hallmark and every cliche company that has its own idea of Valentine's Day. My Valentine's Day is about celebrating love, which isn't a bad thing to celebrate. Love for your friends, family, yourself, whatever.

Choose to celebrate love in whatever way you think is fit. You can make Valentine's Day your own personal holiday and celebration.

lara

Nothing. My husband was just deployed, so I'm only working all day and then spending the night missing him terribly.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

most likely nothing.
My boyfriend isnt a very Romantic planning type of person. AT ALL.
you think flowers would be so incredibly cliche and Generic to give to a girl (hell its in all romantic movies right!?!?)
5 years and counting...and still no flowers.. no silly gifts..
Everyday.. SHOULD be valentines day. yeah yeah yeah .. but I only get one.. So i wait for it.. and hope for the best

medusalox

Last year, my boyfriend didn't do a single thing on Valentine's day, and I was pretty upset. Why? Because I spent the whole day seeing every other girl on the planet getting showered with affection. V-Day is the same as Christmas for me...while I don't celebrate the holiday for the holiday itself, I still buy presents for those I care about because if everyone else is getting that type of treatment, then my loved ones deserve it too!
smiles.gif

That said, I'm not doing squat on Valentine's this year. I have classes all day long, so I won't get a chance to see Mike. We'll be celebrating this weekend!
eyelove.gif

freshangi

we are having snow storm on valentine's day
? i guess .....so will be staying inside..
ususally i don't have a man around this time of year.. I don't why..
for valentine days I used to go out with some girl friends and had some bb ribs and steaks like that...

thestarsfall

I've never really celebrated the "holiday" before so this year I wanna actually do something. I bought my boyfriend a present and he is coming over for dinner. And...if the weather permits we are going to a lecture about Criminal Profiling of Murderers. How romantic eh?

I can't wait!
Seriously....I love psychology...

Bernadette

My boyfriend has to work his normal schedule which is 9:30am to 8:30pm so we didn't make any plans. I'm going to make him something nice for dinner and take it to him and then maybe save dessert for when he gets home
eyelove.gif
. I'll giv ehim his gift and maybe wear something saucy at night.