vegetarian recipes!

littlemakeupboy

Share yours please!
I'm going on month two and going strong
I feel soooo much healthier,my skin is alot more silky and my hair grows like a weed

Here's one of my favorite recipes that I threw together with my roommate

ingredients-
4 carrots cut thinly
2 beets
2 cans water chestnuts
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 pear
ginger
whatever kind of noodles you like
1 block extra firm tofu,or morningstars fake chicken strips for a little more flavor
1 tablespoon olive oil

In a big frying pan heat up olive oil,soy sauce and ginger
throw in cut up beets,carrots,water chestnuts and pear

boil the noodles of choice

cut the tofu into strips and press out the water or throw in the "chicken"strips

cook all together until the tofu soaks up the flavor
and then add the noodles

This is soooooooo good,it might sound like a weird combination of ingredients but its amazing and all the colors look pretty while eating hahah

now share your faves

Beauty Mark

I've been recently obsessed with making black bean burritos. I buy black beans, some vegetarian Mexican sauce, peppers, onions, spinach, cheese, and wheat tortillas. I chop up the onions and peppers, and I cook them with the sauce and beans. I then line a tortilla with spinach, put the beans on, grate cheese over it, and roll.

I also eat a lot of stir fries. The key for me is marinating the tofu and using fresh garlic.

Sonya Adams

My favorite Vegetarian recipe...

I made some green beans one evening for a friend's barbeque... since then, I've been asked to make them for nearly every occasion!

This recipe is meant for 4 people (I generally cook for either two couples, or my crew of 5, so I cook BIG).

Green beans - preferably fresh... about 4 BIG handfuls if fresh. One large frozen bag of french cut if you can't locate fresh.
2 tbsp Brummel & Brown (butter substitute... less calories, better flavor, not as greasy, not as fatty... browns onions better than butter, too!)
1 medium-sized Purple (red) Onion
2 green onion stalks
1 tbsp Minced Garlic (3-4 garlic cloves if fresh)
2 cups sliced Mushrooms
1 cup (or one tiny personal-sized bottle) of CHEAP red wine... no need for expensive stuff here!
Salt and Pepper to taste

OK, throw EVERYTHING except beans, wine and Salt & Pepper in a large pan (I like a wok or high-walled saute pan). Melt butter on Med/High heat, then turn on High. Keep folding the mixture until nice and browned.

Once you have beautiful caramelized onions, add the green beans and the wine. Fold the mushroom/onion/etc. mixture over the beans. Lower your heat to medium, cover lightly (let the pan have an opening to steam) and wait approx 15 minutes. Check for doneness (sometimes fresh beans are really thick, so you may need more time).

If you were using fresh beans, they should have a snap to them when you bite into them... if using frozen, they will be slightly soft, almost mushy, about the same consistency as your onions and mushrooms.

YUMMMM!

Sonya Adams

Oh - and if you have a chance, pick up "Fresh From the Vegetarian" cookbook by Robin Robertson and "The Vegetarian Slow-Cooker" (can't remember the author).

littlemakeupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I've been recently obsessed with making black bean burritos. I buy black beans, some vegetarian Mexican sauce, peppers, onions, spinach, cheese, and wheat tortillas. I chop up the onions and peppers, and I cook them with the sauce and beans. I then line a tortilla with spinach, put the beans on, grate cheese over it, and roll.

I also eat a lot of stir fries. The key for me is marinating the tofu and using fresh garlic.

i agree,or its just bland

and i could live off stirfry its my favorite to make

littlemakeupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya Adams
My favorite Vegetarian recipe...

I made some green beans one evening for a friend's barbeque... since then, I've been asked to make them for nearly every occasion!

This recipe is meant for 4 people (I generally cook for either two couples, or my crew of 5, so I cook BIG).

Green beans - preferably fresh... about 4 BIG handfuls if fresh. One large frozen bag of french cut if you can't locate fresh.
2 tbsp Brummel & Brown (butter substitute... less calories, better flavor, not as greasy, not as fatty... browns onions better than butter, too!)
1 medium-sized Purple (red) Onion
2 green onion stalks
1 tbsp Minced Garlic (3-4 garlic cloves if fresh)
2 cups sliced Mushrooms
1 cup (or one tiny personal-sized bottle) of CHEAP red wine... no need for expensive stuff here!
Salt and Pepper to taste

OK, throw EVERYTHING except beans, wine and Salt & Pepper in a large pan (I like a wok or high-walled saute pan). Melt butter on Med/High heat, then turn on High. Keep folding the mixture until nice and browned.

Once you have beautiful caramelized onions, add the green beans and the wine. Fold the mushroom/onion/etc. mixture over the beans. Lower your heat to medium, cover lightly (let the pan have an opening to steam) and wait approx 15 minutes. Check for doneness (sometimes fresh beans are really thick, so you may need more time).

If you were using fresh beans, they should have a snap to them when you bite into them... if using frozen, they will be slightly soft, almost mushy, about the same consistency as your onions and mushrooms.

YUMMMM!

this sounds so good

moonrevel

I've been a vegetarian for about ten years now, and since at restaurants I often get stuck with ye olde steamed vegetables with pasta, I love finding fun recipes! One of my favorite things to make is squash soup, though it's tricky if you don't have a blender.

First, you take one medium sized onion (diced) and sautee until nice and soft in butter in a very large saucepan. Next, you take a large butternut squash (peeled and cubed), two apples (preferably something of the soft variety, like a red delicious, peeled and cubed), a small potato (peeled and cubed), and about half of a hunk of fresh ginger (peeled and grated) and you throw them into the saucepan with the onion along with about four cups of water. Cover it and let it come to a boil, and then lower the heat and let it cook until everything, particularly the potatoes, is so soft it's starting to fall apart. Then, transfer the contents a few cups at a time into a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. If you can't get all the stuff into the blender at once, you can put the blended batches into a clean saucepan or into a mixing bowl as you go. Once all the blended soup is back in the saucepan, return it to medium high heat and add about a quarter of a cup of apple cider and a teaspoon of brown sugar. Stir regularly until the soup is boiling.

I usually like to serve it with either a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream and a sprinkling of nuts as a garnish, but you can serve it plain if you prefer.

If you haven't got a blender, you can still make this, though it takes a bit more elbow grease. I find I have good luck if I let the vegetables cook really really well and then mash them up with something like a potato masher.

littlemakeupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrevel
I've been a vegetarian for about ten years now, and since at restaurants I often get stuck with ye olde steamed vegetables with pasta, I love finding fun recipes! One of my favorite things to make is squash soup, though it's tricky if you don't have a blender.

First, you take one medium sized onion (diced) and sautee until nice and soft in butter in a very large saucepan. Next, you take a large butternut squash (peeled and cubed), two apples (preferably something of the soft variety, like a red delicious, peeled and cubed), a small potato (peeled and cubed), and about half of a hunk of fresh ginger (peeled and grated) and you throw them into the saucepan with the onion along with about four cups of water. Cover it and let it come to a boil, and then lower the heat and let it cook until everything, particularly the potatoes, is so soft it's starting to fall apart. Then, transfer the contents a few cups at a time into a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. If you can't get all the stuff into the blender at once, you can put the blended batches into a clean saucepan or into a mixing bowl as you go. Once all the blended soup is back in the saucepan, return it to medium high heat and add about a quarter of a cup of apple cider and a teaspoon of brown sugar. Stir regularly until the soup is boiling.

I usually like to serve it with either a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream and a sprinkling of nuts as a garnish, but you can serve it plain if you prefer.

If you haven't got a blender, you can still make this, though it takes a bit more elbow grease. I find I have good luck if I let the vegetables cook really really well and then mash them up with something like a potato masher.

if i knew you were vegetarian before i would have swapped recipes with you before !
this means we should hit up zenith
i live a block away and still have not been there

Beauty Mark

Although it seems like you're doing a great job already, please be sure you're getting all the proper nutrients and having a balanced diet. I've seen so many appalling vegetarian diets (one person insisted on eating cheese sandwiches and pasta all the time. That was it, no veggies.)

Another favorite thing for me to do is cook lentils, rice, garlic, and onions together in one pot. It tastes so good.

I have no experience with cooking it from scratch, but Indian food is very vegetarian friendly.

ruby_soho

Here are some good vegetarian recipes my roommate and I cook from time to time:

Swiss Chard & Creamy Pasta
1lb swiss chard
1tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/4 parmesan cheese
8 oz fettucine, cooked
salt and pepper to taste

Cook swiss chard, onion, and garlic in oiled skillet for 1-2 minutes; mix with remaining ingredients. Makes 4 servings.

Vegetarian Burritos
1 cup rice
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup corn
19 oz can of romano or kidney beans
1-2 cups grated cheese
tortillas

Stir rice with water, salsa, and pepper flakes in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring often over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in beans and corn, allow to warm for approx. 5 minutes. Also good if you can add shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, little sour cream and whatnot.

Sweet Potato and Bean Soup This is really yummy; I'm making it for lunch today
smiles.gif
I also add lentils sometimes, and serve with nan bread. You can add ginger for extra flavour and replace the yogurt with coconut milk, also good.

2 1/4 lb sweet potatoes
5 cups boiling water or vegetable stock
14 oz can of white beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp curry powder or more to taste
1/3 cup plain yogurt
pinch of paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp cilantro or parsley

Peel and cut sweet potatoes into cubes, add boiling water/stock, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer until potato is tender, approx. 15 minutes. Add half the beans and curry powder, mix well, then puree. Add remaining beans and heat through, season to taste. Serve and swirl yogurt in each bowl.

Avocado and Bean Salad
1 can of mixed beans
1 can of chick peas
1 avocado, cubed
1 can of corn
1-2 diced tomatoes
olive oil and red wine vinager to taste (dressing)

This is a really good salad I just made up one day. I usually do equal parts oil and vinager, but you can do whatever you please. It would also be good with couscous and whatever other vegetables you have on hand.

That's all I can think of right now. I hope you enjoy these
smiles.gif

littlemakeupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Although it seems like you're doing a great job already, please be sure you're getting all the proper nutrients and having a balanced diet. I've seen so many appalling vegetarian diets (one person insisted on eating cheese sandwiches and pasta all the time. That was it, no veggies.)

Another favorite thing for me to do is cook lentils, rice, garlic, and onions together in one pot. It tastes so good.

I have no experience with cooking it from scratch, but Indian food is very vegetarian friendly.

hahah that was me five years ago when i tried this and didn't know what i was doing

now i eat properly,and don't buy alot of the fake meats because of the salt content,
I take a multivitamin and on top of that b-12
I'm glad I definatly thought this through this time instead of getting super sick

Sonya Adams

Just wanted to say... I'm not veggie/vegan, but I rarely eat meat anymore unless I'm going out - it's been a huge transition and a giant lifestyle change for me.

I'm not doing it to boycott meat or anything like that, I just like the taste and don't miss the meat. When I'm going out (which isn't very often), I'll veg. it up at Burger King, but the rest of the places other than high-end meals don't seem to live up to it very well. :/

If they did, I'd probably go completely veggie.

kaliraksha

Mmm all veggie lasagna= oh my god! Perfect for having non-veg friends over.
Also keep hummus around for snack attacks.

Try http://vegweb.com/

Side Note: I'm not a [SIZE=-1]vegetarian but I live in Austin and also have lots of Indian friends... sooo I look for some delish recipes if I have to cut meat out.
[/SIZE]

queenofdisaster

ok for those DO consume milk eggs and cheese i have a recipe. i think it's good but it's kinda honky. lol!
chile relleno casserole (i made it today)
32 oz. whole ortega green chilies
1 lb cheddar cheese
1/2 lb monterey jack cheese
4 eggs
1 tbsp flour
1 lg can milk
1/2 tsp salt

layer cheese and chilies in casserole dish
beat eggs, milk, flour and salt, pour over the top
bake at 350 for 45 minutes...

its yummy. i make it with red rice...

moonrevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemakeupboy
if i knew you were vegetarian before i would have swapped recipes with you before !
this means we should hit up zenith
i live a block away and still have not been there

You have not been to Zenith? Ahh! We must go, for it is all that is vegetarian awesomeness.

littlemakeupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofdisaster
are eggs non-vegetarian? maybe thats a stupid question, but im curious...

it all depends on how strict of a vegetarian the person is

some will eat eggs,just not animal flesh

if you are vegan,NO animal products at all
including honey and animal byproducts

for me it doesn't matter because I HATE eggs

littlemakeupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrevel
You have not been to Zenith? Ahh! We must go, for it is all that is vegetarian awesomeness.

that is the word I hear
i live between twentyfourth and twentyfifth for about 5 months now and still haven't gotten to venture in there

littlemakeupboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofdisaster
ok for those DO consume milk eggs and cheese i have a recipe. i think it's good but it's kinda honky. lol!
chile relleno casserole (i made it today)
32 oz. whole ortega green chilies
1 lb cheddar cheese
1/2 lb monterey jack cheese
4 eggs
1 tbsp flour
1 lg can milk
1/2 tsp salt

layer cheese and chilies in casserole dish
beat eggs, milk, flour and salt, pour over the top
bake at 350 for 45 minutes...

its yummy. i make it with red rice...

mmmm this sounds so good,i should make this tonight!