Vegetarians

Saraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Where I grew up, cattle weren't mistreated, are grassfed, and more often than not home slaughtered. Nothing mean about their way of life.

The point is they are killed. Humans think that they have control over other creatures and when they get to be born (breeders) and when they get to die (farmers, meat consumers). It's not about how the animal was treated when alive, it's about not slaughtering animals in the first place. There is no kind slaughter.

astronaut

I've been a lacto-ovarian vegetarian since 2002 because I just felt like it. I'm a Buddhist now so it also goes with the teachings. It's easy being a vegetarian growing up with an Asian diet since most Asians are used to eating tofu and vegetables anyway even though they eat meat as well.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraid
The point is they are killed. Humans think that they have control over other creatures and when they get to be born (breeders) and when they get to die (farmers, meat consumers). It's not about how the animal was treated when alive, it's about not slaughtering animals in the first place. There is no kind slaughter.

This is not true. Animals can (and should) be killed humanely as possible, with as little brutality as possible.

There's an order of life that you're ignoring...our bodies evolved and our brains evolved the way they did because of the animal protein we ate.

You don't want to eat it? Cool.

But don't pretend you're more morally upright than I am because I like my steak medium rare and my eggs over easy. This is not a moral argument, this is not a matter off righteousness or anything like that, it's a matter of choice.

Becksabec

I want to go vegetarian, but I'm on such a restrictive diet already (I'm intolerant to gluten and dairy) that it would be difficult.

slowdownbaby

I don't touch meat since 2008, when I was 18 years old. I wanted to start earlier, but my doctor didn't let me because I have some serious anemia issues... But I had to stop.. I love animals, everytime I eat meat I just think of sweet piggys and bunnys I couldn't do it anymore. I was never hard for me, I don't even crave it. I only eat eggs from my mom's chickens because I know they are well treated and I only drink vegetable milk. I eat cheese once a month sometimes when I crave it more, but I haven't been craving it these past few months... When I have horrible cravings or when I'm feeling too weak I eat salmon.. it's a pain in the booty for me but I have to eat fish sometimes which I never liked :s

Oh and I don't point my finger at anybody who eats meat. It's a choice. I don't like it when they critique me because I do it either. However, I really despise people, who hurt them and torture them for no reason. Animals can be killed in a non-torture way and if they lived a happy life.. I can't ask for more.

Hersheykisseslv

Vegetarian does not mean you don't wear anything from animals those are vegans which goes beyond not eating meat because you don't like it or something. Vegans do not eat animals or things from them such as dairy and eggs; they also do not wear clothing items from animals such as leather,suede, wool and ect... they also do not use makeup brushes that use natural hairs, There are some non-lacto-ovo vegetarians who chose not to eat animals or dairy/eggs, yet they still wear leather and use makeup brushes with natural hairs. Vegetarian has to do with what you eat not what you wear. I just wanted to clear that up for other people who are "confused".

Btw I am a lacto-ovo-pescetarian (I eat fish but not shellfish, for religious reasons.)

Quote: I am involved in a freedom ride protesting the loss of the minority rights belonging to the few remaining earthbound stars. All we demanded was our right to twinkle. -Marylin Monroe

Hersheykisseslv

I wanted to know if someone could start another post on recipes and stuff.

Quote: I am involved in a freedom ride protesting the loss of the minority rights belonging to the few remaining earthbound stars. All we demanded was our right to twinkle. -Marylin Monroe

Kathniss08

I am not a vegetarian. But I would like to be a vegetarian. How can I start this diet? I want to have a healthier lifestyle now. Please, give me some tips so I can start this kind of diet. If you are just only eating vegetables and dairy products, do you feel hungry all the time? Does it satisfy your hunger? Thanks.

starraffy

I am not a vegetarian. But I would like to be a vegetarian. How can I start this diet? I want to have a healthier lifestyle now. Please, give me some tips so I can start this kind of diet. If you are just only eating vegetables and dairy products, do you feel hungry all the time? Does it satisfy your hunger? Thanks
If you don't really like eating vegetables it would be hard to start. But i push my self to eat veggies for diet, i wanna slim down , so i refrain from junk and soda. I bought this juicer and started to juice the fruits and esp veggies i cannot eat regularly. with that .. i conquered my hate in vegetables cause a lot really taste good when juiced like kale, broccoli and cabbage, you wouldn't expect it !
... just have a try, it won't hurt to try :)