Vegetarians

pucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonRisa
Well, my mom (and dad) were hippies. So I attribute them raising me as a vegan/vegatarian to that.

I've always thought if I was to have a child I'd want to raise it as a vegetarian, like I am. My husband isn't veggo and thinks that it's unfair to put my beliefs onto my child at the risk of it's health. I think it is possible to do so, without risk. Did your parents find it hard to fulfil you nutritionally with a vegan diet?

TipTopTap

Hi I'm Vegan! *Waves* that means so fish, eggs, dairy, meat, honey, or anything else that comes from an animal. I've been vegan for almost 2yrs and lost 50 pounds.

inbigtrouble

Yep, I am an ovo-pesco vegetarian. I went veggie when I was 15 and that lasted for 8 years (no fish then, either). I just "renewed" my commitment to being a veggie last week. For the past 6 years or so, I have allowed myself to eat meat when going out for meals. The bf is a strict veggie and we live together, so I never buy meat to fix at home, anyway. But, all that said, it feels good to be "on the wagon" again, so to speak.

I think that when I have kids, I will raise them as veggies at home, but I will let them try meat if they want to when they are eating in other settings.

ETA: When I was younger and originally went vegetarian, it was all about animal rights. Now that I am older, it is much more about health and sustainable agriculture/resources. I can't stand that thought of putting all of those hormones and antibiotics and god knows what else into my body. To me, it seems like almost certainly a recipe for serious illness. Additionally, there are the aspects such as the huge amounts of energy and water that go into producing meat. We certainly live in a world where we need to conserve as much non-renewable energy/resources as possible.

AlohaGirl

I'm a Vegi too
smiles.gif
I think it's been about 16 years now. My husband eats meat though and we have a little boy who is starting to like it. But he does love his soy milk, tofu, beans and rice and vegi corn dogs!

hera

I've been a vegetarian for7 years and still going strong. It's not hard at all anymore and now there are lots of meat substitutes that taste good. I am in agreement with SonRisa. She did a really good job of explaining why and how I feel the way I do.

GimpyPoop

Yo,
I'm vegan, 100% so when it comes to diet. A little blurred with it comes to other things (since MAC and most high end brands have some carmine and other various animal byproducts in them). :X
I do it for ethical reasons. And I've never liked the taste and consistency of meat. Even when I was as young as five, I used to stuff all the meat on my plate into my mouth and run to the bathroom and spit it all up to avoid actually swallowing it! True story!
Tragically enough, I accidentally stepped on and killed my gerbil when I was 12 . . . Yes, it was VERY traumatic. I heard the bones crack and it basically died very gorily in my hands. So yeah, basically I was lacto-ovo from that point onward! Then I became vegan when I was 19 after my dad was diagnosed with cancer and I kind of became highly neurotic about everything. But I also figured since I was vegetarian for mostly "ethical" reasons now, it was hypocritical of me to continue to consume eggs and dairy when those industries weren't exactly humane themselves.
It's a wonderful thing for me - health wise. My sister and brother both outweigh me by 100 pounds and their blood pressure, cholesterol, LDLs, Triglycerides are off the charts! Meanwhile mine is textbook perfect!
greengrin.gif
Of course I also exercise regularly and they don't but yeah, woot!
LN

manslayerliz

Like a lot of these other ladies, I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, meaning I eat eggs and dairy, but not meat, fowl, or fish. As for my reasons, when I see a plate of meat, I see an animal, not food. I have two bunnies, and they are two of the best friends I have ever had. I've been a vegetarian for more than 10 years now, and I have to tell you, I LOVE it. When I first went vegetarian, I couldn't believe how much lighter I felt, and how much more energy I had. Also, no matter what I eat, I never seem to gain weight. I never exercise and yet I have a very slender figure, which I definitely attribute to my diet. Plus, the fake meat products they have out right now taste so good (try the fake chicken nuggets in the freezer section of your grocery store!), I never feel like I'm "missing out." If anyone is considering going veg and would like some advice, feel free to PM me.

lynette

vegetarian

Hi,

I was a hard core non vegetarian person but due to suspected uric acid content had to change to veggies but to tell you frankly, i dont regret it one bit.. I think having veggies is great and the greens , fruits and nuts and pulses do wonders to my skin. Having a bowl of salad along with juice is great for my stomach and I feel quite energetic too.
I love boiled vegetables with soup and toast and they are filling without adding calories to me.

Luxurious

I'm a vegatarian for one a an half year. i dont eat fish, meat or something. only cheese, eggs in meals but not alone and sometimes i eat/drink milk

Luxurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelly
im probably the furthest thing from a vegetarian lol BuT i am curious - why is it that those who are vegitarians - are so? is it for health reason? religious beliefs?

i think it's not fair to kill animals because somebody wants to eat it.

mspixieears

I have had periods where I've been vegetarian for health & ethical reasons. I'm probably a pescatorian at heart (veg & seafood), and I do plan to not eat meat again, but not till I move out of my parents' place. My mum only let me go meat-free when eating meat became bad for my health.

I love vegetables, and tofu and Asiatic cuisines generally. I do confess I'd have a bit of trouble giving up things like bacon...though when I was vegetarian of course I didn't eat it.

Vicky88

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci
I've always thought if I was to have a child I'd want to raise it as a vegetarian, like I am. My husband isn't veggo and thinks that it's unfair to put my beliefs onto my child at the risk of it's health. I think it is possible to do so, without risk. Did your parents find it hard to fulfil you nutritionally with a vegan diet?

What risk to it's health? Children don't actually need meat, no one does.

Protein can be obtained from foods such as beans, chick peas an dairy and there is plenty of iron in leafy green vegetables. There are plenty of alternatives, including Quorn and other meat substitutes.

My brother has been raise a vegetarian since birth (he's only 2 now) and there's no problems with his health, in fact, he's extremely healthy. My mum will give him the choice to eat meat when he is old enough, she's not forcing anything upon him but at the same time, he won't miss it now because he knows no difference.

I fully support your decision to raise your baby a vegetarian, if you do have one!

Even though I eat meat, I will raise my children as veggies until they're old enough to choose!

as_cute_as_pie

esh i could never imagine being a vegetarian meat is great
smiles.gif
lol
id be so bored without it

however something i dont understand my friend is a veggie and doesnt eat any meat but does eat seafood that issue has totally confused me seems a little contradicting :confused:

kaliraksha

Although it is sometimes a misconception that vegetarians are healthier/leaner/skinnier. I'm not rooting for either side here... I have friends who are vegan and those that are not.... but a lot of vegetarians resort to carbs... lots of rice and bread and pasta... which is not the healthiest of diets and certainly not lean.

Which is why I think it's important to find a good balance that really will fill you up... I was a vegatarian for a period of my life and I found that very difficult because I felt like I could eat tons of veggies and not get full (plus it gets expensive)... so I had to resort to carbs and I ended up being not as healthy as I thought I was. Granted there are a lots of good fats that will fill you up... but I don't think I thought that far whenever I was in middle school... I was just being rebelious.

ilovedisneyland

no animals in here (points in tummy) i have only been one for 6 months, but before that i only ate chicken... that dosnt really mean anything.thats besides the point, i love not eating me it makes me feel so much better about myself, and i have really gotten into cooking

ilovedisneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_cute_as_pie
esh i could never imagine being a vegetarian meat is great
smiles.gif
lol
id be so bored without it

however something i dont understand my friend is a veggie and doesnt eat any meat but does eat seafood that issue has totally confused me seems a little contradicting :confused:

this has always bugged me, its not vegeterian, its pescetarian, fish certianlly are animals

luminious

i stopped eatting meat for lent once and it was hard. we eat meat in my house every single day and my boyfriend is a meat freak. i dont even know anyone who is vegetarian.

as_cute_as_pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuy
my best friend is a vegetarian but still wears leather all the time. *confused*

ahh yeh my 'vegetarian' friend does and has leather sofas well 3 to be precise hah it seems a bit silly