Video Games/Relationships

dollbaby

Ok girls. So, I want your opinion on video games and your relationship. Does your S/O love video games and does it affect your relationship or start any issues? How do you feel about them?

rofl.gif
The only reason for this is because I am remembering last year at this time. Playstation 3 was coming out and it was mass hysteria with that thing. The previous year it was XBOX 360 & I was standing out in the pouring rain at best buy with my boyfriend at 4am
lmao.gif
lmao.gif
... It was so insane. I wanted to strangle him! It really doesn't bother me too much because it's his hobby, yanno? I feel so bad getting upset with something he loves and enjoys. (He probably feels the same way about my make-up obsession haha). However, deep down I despise video games. Whenever there is a new game console coming out on the market or a new game I secretly cry inside because I know he's going to spend hours of his free time playing the damn box.

He literally at times can be one big loser!
th_loser.gif
But, I've handled it for 6 years of our relationship.. I've seen it all ... so how bad can it get? haha!

SingFrAbsoltion

My boyfriend got me to start playing them! And then it got to the point where i'd come over his house and go to the playstation and play for hours and he'd fall asleep all angry lol

Hilly

OMG...DONT.GET.ME.STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

It was World of Warcrap...now Halo 3...blahhh. He can spend all weekend from wakeup til dinner and then some playing the games.

But he does help out with chores and will take me on dates as promised, but it still bugs the shit out of me. Oy.

labellavita7

Boys will be boys, you can never take their video games away from them. The only one I enjoy playing with him is Guitar Hero... omg it's so much FUN!! But other than that, I've never had a huge problem with video games interfering in a relationship, sometimes he'll be a typical dude and just want to veg and play games all day and that's fine, sometimes I want to veg and watch crappy television all day. Once it starts affecting your relationship negatively there's an issue. If he's spending more time on the games than on your relationship you need to talk!

CantAffordMAC

Well, I used to like playing video games myself. Then, around age 15 I stopped playing them and started playing with makeup. And I've never really looked back lol.
My boyfriend was never obsessed with video games. But he did get his hands on Halo2 I think, and I have an XBox at my house, so he'd play for a few hours a day at my house. Then he beat the game and stopped playing. Guys are so funny...I was asking him to stop playing the game so we can lay down together and spend time and he says "Babe we are spending time together."

Really? You over there playing Halo, and me laying on the bed watching tv. But yeah my boyfriend goes through litte phases. He played Mortal Kombat for awhile after that, and he may have beat the game and stopped playing. Its annoying, but at least he's not addicted 24/7.

ratmist

I'm the gamer of the house, mostly RPGs. I've been playing Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Legend of Zelda since the early 1980s. Husband likes to watch the game because he says it's like a very long film. It doesn't interfere with anything. If he wants my attention he grabs me and kisses me.

reverieinbflat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist
I'm the gamer of the house, mostly RPGs. I've been playing Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Legend of Zelda since the early 1980s. Husband likes to watch the game because he says it's like a very long film. It doesn't interfere with anything. If he wants my attention he grabs me and kisses me.

Almost exactly how he are, except, he's the gamer and I love to watch him play. I've always loved watching them, because it is like a long film, and I don't have to the work.

Except, we both play World of Warcraft pretty heavily.

knoxydoll

My boyfriend is currently studying game design, along with his best-friend and roommate. It's sometimes his homework to play games. He gets tax-refunds for buying games. His life is games. Thankfully it's never really cause a problem in our relationship and he's very good at taking care of my needs. I like games too so I guess that helps. If you ever need a review on almost any game. He or someone else in his class will have played it. Between him and his roommates, they have almost every console made. It's a little ridiculous at times.

Calhoune

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
Guys are so funny...I was asking him to stop playing the game so we can lay down together and spend time and he says "Babe we are spending time together."

Really? You over there playing Halo, and me laying on the bed watching tv.

Hehe same with my guy, and I don't think being in the same room counts as spending time togheter.
We both play, we actually met online in a MMORPG so I guess we could say we are both pretty nerdy.

We play Halo, GoW and Star Wars games togheter
smiles.gif
And I think he likes it more then playing on his one because he's always the one suggesting we should play.
And if he's playing on his own I like to be near and just watch him play, like you said, it's like a movie! (Overlord is perfect for that, by the way :p)

Besides, when I get bored with playing or watching him play, I just attack him with kisses.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Valerie~
I'm lucky, my boyfriend hates video games.
smiles.gif
He's obsessed with CARS though, ugh.

you are lucky... My boyfriend is obsessed with both....

STolEn_KisS

well, my bf's not obssessed with video games. lol. Yes, he does like playing them but he doesn't play a lot. If he has free time, he would rather be playing soccer than playing games. lol

msmack

Ohh yes, the videogames. I'd say in the beginning of our relationship the time he spent 'gaming-out' really bugged me. Until I realized what was bugging me about it.

I have a bath religiously every evening, for about an hour. My baths became less enjoyable...less relaxing....less everything.

THEN I REALIZED IT WAS BECAUSE OF ALL THE WAR SOUNDS I COULD HEAR FROM THE NEXT ROOM! LOL BOOOOMM!!! POW-POW-POW! ACHTUNG!! SCHNELL!!! ENEMY TROOPS HAVE BEEN CAPTURED! SAVE THE CHILDREN!! lol and many many many more out-cries and explosions. (He likes games like Halo, GTO, WW2 games and such...)

Now he wears headphones and I enjoy my nightly bath again.

If I want him to pay attention to me... I'll just flash him a boob or something. Easy. He gets the idea. lol
winks.gif

msmack

In fact, my momma and I are buying him an XBOX 360 for Christmas. That's how comfortable I am with it. If he wants to look at games at the store...fine... but he has to be my swatch arm in the make-up isle. lol

For the record, I used to quite like Zelda/Golden Eye on my N64. And original Nintendo for that matter. I don't quite understand XBOX and PS controllers (no interest either, really).

dollbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmack
In fact, my momma and I are buying him an XBOX 360 for Christmas. That's how comfortable I am with it. If he wants to look at games at the store...fine... but he has to be my swatch arm in the make-up isle. lol

For the record, I used to quite like Zelda/Golden Eye on my N64. And original Nintendo for that matter. I don't quite understand XBOX and PS controllers (no interest either, really).

rofl.gif
i dont understand the xbox or PS controllers either! lol! it looks like something out of the distant future haha!

mjalomo

Our entire household games! Together my two kids, my husband and I own 2 Wii's, an X-box 360 (Halo 3 special edition), two PS2's, one PS3, a gamecube, and three Nintendo DS Lite's. We only play on weekends (TV's are not on at all during the week), but we share a love for all types of games. But I guess we are an odd family...my entire household can also name the MAC collections I am looking forward to.

komischkatze

I really hate the notion of video games being "a guy thing." I've been a gamer way longer than I've been into makeup. My funstuff budget is pretty much divided half and half between games and makeup right now. It's just like anything else - it can be overdone but just because *you* don't enjoy it doesn't mean it doesn't have value to someone else, you know? I still have an play every game system I've bought since my original NES.
tong.gif
You just have to have balance. I have on occasion, gotten a new game and played for 24+ hours straight (very rare occasion) so it wouldn't bother me for a bf to do the same as long as it isn't a constant occurrence! I often enjoy watching other people play too, so it's pretty good for me all around!

So anyway, as long as it's not constant or putting you in debt or something, you have to just let people have their hobbies
and allow them to occasion spree of obsession. And then expect them to do the same for you, of course.
winks.gif

GreekChick

I found it annoying also, until I tried playing King Kong. Oh boy did I become addicted. I became better than him at the game, and in the end, he actually had to call me over so I could finish it for him.
Then everything fell back to normal.
Then...we discovered James Bond, on GameCube! With 2 players! Oh boy, our sex life was meh for an entire 2 weeks. We just couldn't stop playing.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by komischkatze
I really hate the notion of video games being "a guy thing." I've been a gamer way longer than I've been into makeup. My funstuff budget is pretty much divided half and half between games and makeup right now. It's just like anything else - it can be overdone but just because *you* don't enjoy it doesn't mean it doesn't have value to someone else, you know? I still have an play every game system I've bought since my original NES.
tong.gif
You just have to have balance. I have on occasion, gotten a new game and played for 24+ hours straight (very rare occasion) so it wouldn't bother me for a bf to do the same as long as it isn't a constant occurrence! I often enjoy watching other people play too, so it's pretty good for me all around!

So anyway, as long as it's not constant or putting you in debt or something, you have to just let people have their hobbies
and allow them to occasion spree of obsession. And then expect them to do the same for you, of course.
winks.gif

Sing it, sister.
smiles.gif

*goes off to play her 215th hour of Final Fantasy XII...*