Volunteer at Nars, a good sign???

JJChanel

Hi beauties:

I had my first interview with Nars last Monday, I did two makeup looks, the manager really liked them. The interview went really well. She gave me some compliments along with critics as well of course.

But since their sales manager is vacation for two weeks, so I can't have my second interview until she comes back. The manager who interviewed me said she can schedule me some volunteer works while we are waiting for the sales manager to get back, She said I can get some hands on experience and also I will have the opportunity to figure out if I want to work at the counter or be a demo makeup artist.

I thought I will be getting a call soon, but I didn't hear anything from them for a week, so I called in today to follow up. She said "if you want to do some volunteer work, we can definitely use you for the next couple of weeks." She then scheduled me to come in on Thursday and Friday for 6 hours each day. She also mentioned after these two days we'll figure out if I want to come in for more.

I'm kinda nervous, the reason is because she never called me back to schedule me anything. I'm looking for some answers and even comforter here, if you guys can let me know if volunteer at Nars is a good sign for me to get a job with Nars? Any information and tips will help:) Thank you all so much <3

user79

Are you serious? Volunteering for Nars? As in no pay whatsoever? That's shameful that Nars would do something like that. I would strongly question whether or not I would want to work for a company with such unethical employment practices.

Ask for an hourly rate.

pink4ever

If you need the job for pay then I say no. I work as a MUA assistant for no pay but just for the weekends not as regular job which this seems like it would be. This person is asking you to work for 6 hours?? I think that's a little crazy for no pay. It is Nars though and it would be a great add to your resume for future endeavors. I am young though so I would do volunteer work because I'm single and don't have kids. I don't know about your situation but I think consider it if it wil benefit you.

MitzyG

I don't even it is legal to have someone "volunteer" unless you are a non-profit charity!! I am pretty sure Nars does not qualify.
I work at a registered non-profit and we even have to do tons of paperwork/background checks/etc for volunteers. What if you get hurt while you are "volunteering"? Is workman's comp going to cover it? I don't think so. I think they are trying to pull a fast one.

pink4ever

I don't even it is legal to have someone "volunteer" unless you are a non-profit charity!! I am pretty sure Nars does not qualify.
I work at a registered non-profit and we even have to do tons of paperwork/background checks/etc for volunteers. What if you get hurt while you are "volunteering"? Is workman's comp going to cover it? I don't think so. I think they are trying to pull a fast one.

Maybe it's like a non-paid internship? Lots of companies have non-paid internships that can be considered volunteering.

MitzyG

Even with a "non-paid internship" you should get something out of it. Credit, a referral, something. And there should be something in paperwork spelling that out. At the least you should have some sort of insurance coverage for on the job injuries, etc. Working without getting paid is called slavery and the last time I looked, that was illegal in the US.

missmolliecule

This is odd. I would not do it. Any work you do for a company, you need to be paid. What store is the counter located inside? Nordstrom..Neimans.. etc? I would consider reporting it, cause that just isn't right.

pink4ever

I agree with MitzyG on getting something out of it. JJchanel did they mention anything about benefits to you?

Every employee in this world would be extremely happy to hire some volunteers, doing a good job for no money. With the excuse that they are doing YOU a favor, as you get some experience with them. Shame.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Hi beauties:

I had my first interview with Nars last Monday, I did two makeup looks, the manager really liked them. The interview went really well. She gave me some compliments along with critics as well of course.

But since their sales manager is vacation for two weeks, so I can't have my second interview until she comes back. The manager who interviewed me said she can schedule me some volunteer works while we are waiting for the sales manager to get back, She said I can get some hands on experience and also I will have the opportunity to figure out if I want to work at the counter or be a demo makeup artist.

I thought I will be getting a call soon, but I didn't hear anything from them for a week, so I called in today to follow up. She said "if you want to do some volunteer work, we can definitely use you for the next couple of weeks." She then scheduled me to come in on Thursday and Friday for 6 hours each day. She also mentioned after these two days we'll figure out if I want to come in for more.

I'm kinda nervous, the reason is because she never called me back to schedule me anything. I'm looking for some answers and even comforter here, if you guys can let me know if volunteer at Nars is a good sign for me to get a job with Nars? Any information and tips will help:) Thank you all so much <3
You have every reason to be nervous. This sounds completely sleazy. Do not go in and work for them for free. After all, if you're willing to work for free, what's the incentive for them to pay you later on? At the very least, they should be offering you commission on any sales you make, but simply asking you to "volunteer" is ridiculous. You're not serving food in a homeless shelter, you're generating business for a multi-million dollar cosmetics company.

I'm shocked Nars would OK this, because it's the sort of underhanded practice most people would associate with telemarketing scams. You should absolutely say no and hold out for a proper interview.

aradhana

i agree with previous posters...it's not a good idea to work for free...no matter what field you are in!
it's different when you do volunteer work for a charity, or volunteer at the hospital etc...but if anyone has the same job description as you and is getting paid for their work, it's a sign that you should be too!