What brushes should I get?

Doowop

Hi, I have recently gotten #182 brush and I'm wondering since it's multi-purpose, is it best used for blusher or loose powder?

What is the best blusher brush from MAC in your opinion? There are a number to choose from and I have no idea which one is best.

What is the basic eyeshadow brushes one should have? I think #213 and #224 are popular.

Lastly, is it ok to use a brush like #213 for cream eyeshadows or better to use a brush that is meant for emollient eyeshadow? If I use a brush for emollient eyeshadow, can that brush be used for normal powder eyeshadow?

Thanks for your help!
smiles.gif

Doowop

thanks!

I read through quite a number of threads and I narrowed my brushes down.

For eyeshadow: #239(application) and #224 or #217(which is better?)

For liquid foundation: #190

For blusher: #129

For lower lid: #219

But I still have this question: If a brush is for emollient-products like 239, it is made from synthetic hair, is it alright to use it for normal powder products?

lil_kismet

I'm a proud owner of the 182, it works wonderfully for buffing in powder foundation and loose powder. Excellent for overall blending of face makeup.

As for blush, I'm sure the 182 can be used to apply blush as well. But due to the head of the 182 being so large, I'm not so sure how well it would work for blush application, especially if you want to achieve a look that requires a little more precision, or if you have a small face like I do.

For blush, I personally recommend the 188. It works AMAZINGLY for both powder and emollient based blushes. Shedding is very minimal, if any, and it blends blush beautifully too!

The 129 actually applies blush beautifully as well, but I find that it sheds an awful lot. Almost as much as the SE version that comes in the brush sets MAC comes out with every 4-6 months.

As for eyeshadow, I am a big fan of multi-taskers. I really like the 272 (a white-bristled small angle brush). This brush can be used for highlighting the browbone, a wash of colour over the entire lid, lid & crease application, and for overall blending of eyeshadow. Definitely a good starter brush.

But if you prefer to get individual brushes instead, my personal picks of essentials would be:

- 252: can be used for a wash over the entire lid, serves as a good lid applicator for a well-blended look, browbone highlight, and has a good amount of stiffness so it works GREAT with both powder and emollients (look into the 242, if you prefer a smaller head).

- 213: I like this one for packing powder shadow onto lids.

- 219: EXCELLENT for crease application and smokey lining of upper and lower lashlines. I like it even for blending of crease colours.

- 217: Best for overall blending of eyeshadow. Also serves well for a light wash of colour over your lids for those minimal makeup days.

And to answer your last question in your 1st post, I would not recommend the 213 for applying emollient products. It is a little on the flimsy side, and I prefer it for packing colour onto the lids. I find that the 252 works well for applying both emollient and powder products because it is a stiffer than the 213.

Don't know if this helps you any, but just thought I'd throw some of my suggestions your way
smiles.gif

Doowop

thanks!
smiles.gif
btw when you say crease application, this is only for women who have deep-set eyes right?

lil_kismet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorificus
thanks!
smiles.gif
btw when you say crease application, this is only for women who have deep-set eyes right?

For ANYONE who wants to apply eyeshadow in their creases (whether with deep-set eyes, or asian eyes with small creases).

xiahe

if you don't feel like spending a fortune on MAC brushes, sonia kashuk (@ target) makes some brushes that are comparable to MAC's IMO, and they're like 1/3 the price
winks.gif

Doowop

I don't have that line where I live unfortunately...

just wondering, can I use #239 to apply powder eyeshadow or is it best for cream?

Latest posts