What do you celebrate at this time of year?

V15U4L_3RR0R

Do you celebrate Christmas, Hanukka, Eid, Yule, Kwanzaa or other? What kind of things do you do on the day? Do you have nay rituals you ike to do with your family? I'm kind of curious about it as you only ever hear about Christmas but not the others.

nunu

Last Wednesday i celebrated Eid
smiles.gif
, I am away from my family at the moment so the only special thing that i do is dress up in new cloths.
Eid happens twice a year, the first Eid is also known as the Little eid and it's right after the holly month of Ramadan (when we fast for a month). The second Eid is also known as the big eid (the one i celebrated last Wednesday).

When i am around my family we prepare for eid by buying new cloths, making different types of sweets (cookies), we also go to our grandmother's house to say hello and then go visit our aunties and cousins. Then a special preperation of food for eid, like we would have dishes for lunch and dinner which we would only make in eid.

It's all about getting together with your loved ones and congratulating them with this special event
smiles.gif

Briar

We celebrate Yule, or Winter Solstice. Its a celebration of the return of the sun, and the lenghtening of days. Its essentially a celebration of light so this year, since my Hubby was out of town my son and I drove around and looked at holiday light displays. We often will gather with friends and loved ones to celebrate the return of the sun after the longest night of the year.

We also celebrate Christmas but in a purely secular fashion, 'cause Santa represents the spirit of the Holidays, Love and Joy and its just so fun to watch a 3 year old open presents.

Willa

We celebrate Christmas, but not the traditional way (we don't go to church, nothing religious). On the 24th, we go at my parent's house, to chat a little, open 1 or 2 gifts and after we go to my grand mother's place for diner.

NutMeg

My family celebrates Christmas, but not religiously. My parents always host the Christmas Eve fondue and on that night we also all exchange stockings. To give you an idea, we will have 21 people over here tomorrow night. Then we all have Christmas morning with our individual families and get together again at one of my aunties' houses for Christmas dinner. It's a blast, my family is awesome.
greengrin.gif

jenNpaci

we celebrate Christmas. Somewhat secularly and somewhat "religiously". We attend mass on either christmas eve or christmas day. We have a nativity and tell the nativity story but tonight I also watched "the grinch who stole christmas" with my little cousin. Its a nice mix and a lot of fun.

Dark_Phoenix

We're celebrating Christmas with my grandparents in Dubai. We usually don't go to mass on Christmas Eve, and instead eat alot of seafood and watch Christmas movies with my itty-bitty nieces and nephews. Then get up at like six am when they start running around the the place telling everyone to get up. Open preasents, then have one of my brothers or myself run out to get paistries, and come back and eat more. We usually have lamb on Christmas Day. This year there are 15 of us staying at my grandparents (the six of us, four of them are married, my parents, two nieces, one nephew). Their house is waaaay huge so it works out, except for the noise since my nieces are toddlers and never run out of energy.

We do you your standard, wait until midnight then drink Champagne for New Year's. Sometimes we go see fireworks but this year's looking pretty lazy, lol.

amoona

We celebrate Eid which was this week already. We go to prayer n then jus hang out with the family and have a big dinner.

V15U4L_3RR0R

Well seeing as all you lovely ladies have responded, I suppose i should post what I celebrate.

I also celebrate Yule and the birth of the sun. I don't do much but I bake scones usually and share a beer with my man. I used to do all sorts of rituals when I was younger but I don't so much anymore because i don't feel I need to.

I only really do Christmas because my feller and his family does and so does my family. But I enjoy Yule more.

DirtyPlum

Me three... I also celebrate Eid - which consists of all the family getting together to eat lots of lush food throughout the day!

We also get together and see through the New Year...

Happy Holidays All
xxx

xsnowwhite

I celebrate Christmas
we have the tradition to open gifts on Christmas Eve. Im not sure why but it has always been that way!

aimeilee

I celebrate Hanukkah with my dad's family and Christmas with my mom's. Both are only somewhat religious but it's more spending time with my family

Hilly

Christmas!!! We open one present on Christmas eve and then wake up on Christmas morning and open it all up!

We like to drive around at night and look at the decorations
smiles.gif

IDontKnowMomo

my family and I celebrate Christmas, but not religiously.
we just spend a day together appreciating what we have.
and my family is extremely generous, we''l take any excuse to give each other tons of crap xD

SparklingWaves

We celebrate Christmas. I really enjoy seeing all my relatives that I haven't seen all year. We exchange presents, eat a lot, talk a lot and get sleepy from all the food.
smiles.gif