What do you do at MAC basic training?

I have my 5 day basic training for MAC coming up in a week. What exactly do they go over during basic training? Do you do any actual makeup? If anyone can describe what happened in their basic training it would be great! Im so excited. Also, do you get a MAC necklace at the end?

maxcat

There's a lot of food, and it's a lot of fun.
You do get to play with makeup, but there is also a lot on sanitization protocols, color theory, how to best meet a customer's needs and how to find out what those needs are. Don't stress out about it - it's a really great time. Your head will fall off from all the information. Your manager should be providing you with a badge and necklace.

FacesbyNiki

You gain at least 15 lbs from all the food. LOL

But yes, you learn, watch videos, take notes, do make up, make friends. I loved basic.

giz2000

Ahh..memories of Basic..it was one of the best times I have had, ever (work-related, of course!)

calbear

No, freelancers are not sent to Basic (at least none that I have heard of). Now some regions will send their freelancers to a one-day orientation type thing but that is not standard in all regions or for all freelancers.

AND my basic was not as fun as everyone else's. Ours was held in a random hotel so all the cool stuff that's normally at the regular facility was not at our disposal. The food was not all that good and ours was split up, 3 days one week and 2 days the next. We were all lost the first day cause no one could find the right hotel. There was some drama about variences in procedures such as wardrobe restrictions at different counters. Not all that fun for most of us.

MisStarrlight

Ugh, Calbear, that sucks. I'm sorry your experience was no good.

And yeah...9 months as a freelancer & no training at all. They had a one day thing once this summer, but I was in school & couldn't go.

I just finished Basic, so I'm probably the only one here that's seen the "new format." I don't quite know what's new about it, but they kept saying that it was new.
You don't really play with makeup all that much...lips once, eyes once, & full face once. They pretty much assume that you've got the skills...Mostly it's about counter practices, product knowledge, & sales stuff. They made these nifty new spiral bound workbooks.
And since I am in NYC, Romero & a bunch of people that are pretty high up in the company were always coming in & out & talking to us & stuff.

Im on my second day of basic training out here in So Cal. I absolutely loved it so far. The trainers are amazing. Everyone is friendly and passionate about what they do. Im having a great time.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
No, freelancers are not sent to Basic (at least none that I have heard of). Now some regions will send their freelancers to a one-day orientation type thing but that is not standard in all regions or for all freelancers.

AND my basic was not as fun as everyone else's. Ours was held in a random hotel so all the cool stuff that's normally at the regular facility was not at our disposal. The food was not all that good and ours was split up, 3 days one week and 2 days the next. We were all lost the first day cause no one could find the right hotel. There was some drama about variences in procedures such as wardrobe restrictions at different counters. Not all that fun for most of us.

Awww hun! I'm sorry.
th_kiss.gif
My basic was set up like that too. 2 days the first week and 3 days the next week.

calbear

Thanx babe - we didn't play with much on the makeup side and it was a lot of videos to watch which can be very tiring. Plus most of the attendees in my area were from partnered locations so most of the stuff that we went over was about things at the counters and not much about the things MAC store employees needed to touch on as well, like bottom lashes and how to use some of the mac store foundations.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Thanx babe - we didn't play with much on the makeup side and it was a lot of videos to watch which can be very tiring. Plus most of the attendees in my area were from partnered locations so most of the stuff that we went over was about things at the counters and not much about the things MAC store employees needed to touch on as well, like bottom lashes and how to use some of the mac store foundations.

See, in my area, they didn't treat us any different. They went over everything everyone needed to know whether you're in a store or not. We didn't get to do lashes because most of us know how to put them on so we wanted to do more open discussion and make up instead.

calbear

Well, they didn't really treat us different but we went over putting on lashes - which most of us know but me and the other girl from a store wanted to talk about tricks with bottom lashes and we didn't really get any or how to really work with Face and Body foundation since most of us didn't personally use it so we didn't have much knowledge in that area. We didn't cover much about certain tricks with pigments (like using EZR with them). Stuff I knew from being a fan but would have been a help to the class at large since they are starting to see more i]pigs in counter releases. Just stuff like that would have been helpful.

KirstyTL

Quote:
Well, they didn't really treat us different but we went over putting on lashes - which most of us know but me and the other girl from a store wanted to talk about tricks with bottom lashes and we didn't really get any or how to really work with Face and Body foundation since most of us didn't personally use it so we didn't have much knowledge in that area. We didn't cover much about certain tricks with pigments (like using EZR with them). Stuff I knew from being a fan but would have been a help to the class at large since they are starting to see more i]pigs in counter releases. Just stuff like that would have been helpful.

Oh god how do you apply false eyelashes properly? :confused:

FacesbyNiki

MACVirgin, I'm so serious. The food we had was so great and it was unlimited. And they had tea/coffee, juice/soda, fruit and bagels/donuts for you to snack on throughout the day.

MacVirgin

lol!! so if i ever would like to apply for a freelance position i might want to loose some weight just in case
lol.gif
but i think thigs work difrent over here. Over here they might ask you to bring your own damn lunch!
lmao.gif

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVirgin
lol!! so if i ever would like to apply for a freelance position i might want to loose some weight just in case
lol.gif
but i think thigs work difrent over here. Over here they might ask you to bring your own damn lunch!
lmao.gif

lmao.gif
rofl.gif

makeupbeauty85

im going to be taking the 5 day training next month at some point they said they can work with my schedule. i live on long island i know i have to go to manhattan for it. is the location you went for your basic training going to be the same place i go? i havent got the chance to ask the manager where exactly the location is do u remember the address? i just wanna know if i should take the train or just drive in. im excited to go to it just nervous going to the city by myself!

Latest posts