What is the best application method for Revlon Colorstay foundation?

appleblossm

What brush or applicator is your favorite to use with Revlon ColorStay foundation? Why?

I'm new to liquid foundations and have no clue how to apply without it looking apparent that I'm wearing it.
Thanks for your help!
smiles.gif

dietcokeg

well before applying the foundation you should make sure you skin is hydrated which you usually makes your skin a much easier canvas 2 work with when applying foundation. you should use a moisturiser that works well with your skin depending on ur skin type! then as to the actual application i would recommened using a brush myself ( i wouldnt recommned using ur fingers 2 apply it - too messy, too streaky and very wasteful!) get a brush and you should get yourself into a technique that works for you. usually i would put foundation on my brush and put it on my face in small patches and then blend it all out - but what works for me might not necessarily work for you. Its all just trial and error, i've been wearing makup for a bought 6 years ( im 19!) and im still learning from my mistakes! Best of luck hun! if you have any more qwuestions, fire them away! x

foxxylatina07

For me personally the best method application for this foundation is a stippling brush (also known as a duo fiber brush aka MAC 187). Make sure that your face is properly moisturized because if you have any dry patches this foundation WILL adhire to those patches and it wont look as flawless. It'll give you full coverage but not as heavy as you think cuz if you do it right it'll look completely natural and feel light. There many methods of applying liquid foundations you just have to see which one works the best for you. Good luck and I hope you find the best application method that works best for you.
greengrin.gif

VAQTPIE

I recently tried this foundation after using MAC Studio Fix Fluid for over a year. I've been able to acheive great results by:
1. Moisturizing well prior to application. I also spray a little Fix+ or use Smashbox Photo Finish Primer after my moisturizer.

2. Use a MAC 187 (or any skunk brush--I alternate with my Sigma SS1887).

3. Work quickly to apply and blend the foundation as you go. It's been my experience that this formula dries faster than some other brands I've dried.

ModelBoy

Haha there are SOOO many topics on how to apply this one foundation! It's crazy! But I totally understand. So here's a repost of my method from another topic on here.

Here's my complete method (and I've gotten compliments on how perfect and natural my skin has looked, which has never happened before):

1.) Moisturise (or sunblock). Seriously. I have the oiliest skin in the world, but this is still an important step. I just use a light, oil-free one. Let this absorb for 5-10 minutes, then blot excess moisture with a tissue.

2.)Primer. I just use Monistat Chafing Gel. Works just as well, if not better than SPFP. However, because this is just dimethicone, it does not have any moisturizing ingredients in it. If you use a "real" primer, check to make sure the only main ingredients are silicone variants. If it has any moisturizers in it, skin Step 1, as you'll just be doubling up, wasting product, and adding another layer of product, which will just cause your makeup to slip. Let this set for one minute.

3.) Concealer. I dot a bit of a cream stick concealer on any red spots left from my finally receding (yay!) acne. Anything not too egregious can be left unconcealed (even discolorations and minor blemishes. My spots are like, fire engine red, so...) Let this set for one minute.

4.) Application. For a full face, I pour about a quarter size amount of the foundation onto a palette (if mixing with like, a strobe cream type product), or the back of my hand. Taking my Sephora Brand Professionnel Platinum Air Brush #55 (my HG brush, btw. And believe me, I've been through more than 20 foundation brushes, from $10 drugstore ones to $85 designer ones, both stippling and paddle), I spritz it with a setting spray (I prefer Cinema Secrets, but something like Fix+ would work fine), and I dip it in the product, and apply liberal dots all around my face. One dot on each apple of my cheeks, one each on the lower outer jawline, one on my chin, one on my forehead. These are pretty big, product-y dots, not little sheer pinpricks. Next I pick up the last of the product left on my palette/hand, and SWIPE it down my nose, under each eye, on the outer forehead region, and above my lips. Now we're getting there. Using the same brush, I begin stippling. NEVER buffing. Literally, starting at each cheek, and working outwards and downwards, I stipple quickly and in tight little motions until each side of my face is covered, stipple under and then over the eyes, then I move to the center. Before the next obvious step, I buff the brush lightly over each ear, around the hairline, and down the jawline onto my neck. Next, keep stippling the face. The product at this point should still look wet, but you'll start to feel a little resistance from it. This is good. Literally, just keep stippling all over (at this point, it doesn't matter where you start and end. I usually sit down and watch some TV, or read while I'm doing this step, as I usually do it for a good 2-3 minutes, though a minute at least should be fine). When you're done, it should still look very slightly damp, but not LOOK sticky (although it should feel this way). Let it set for 3-5 minutes (this is the most important step).

5.) Powder. I use Kett Sett Powder (used in airbrush makeup and undetectable to the naked eye, and HD cameras, but any finely milled loose powder should be acceptable). Taking my MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Kabuki Brush (my other HG powder brush) (although any soft, not too dense kabuki brush should work. Just don't use a regular powder brush, or it won't stick, and not a puff, as you'll get a mask-y look), I buff a very light amount all over my face, starting from the center and working outwards and downwards, making sure to apply only the SLIGHTEST amount of pressure. Just keep buffing (lightly) even after you can't see the powder any more, as this will really set the foundation and keep it oil free.

6.) Extras. Apply bronzer or blush, etc. I rebuff a bit of MUFE HD Microfinish Powder (using the same brush) over afterwards just to help blend and set it in.

7.) Set. Spritz my face with a lil MUFE Mist & Fix. Don't touch your face for at least 3 minutes after this.

Sorry for the huge explanation, but I felt that if I was gonna go through it, might as well be thorough. Even though it seems to take a long time, not including moisturizing and priming, my whole routine takes only 10-15 minutes, and can be done in about 5 if I'm in a huge hurry (skipping concealer, stippling less, less powder buffing, etc.). Of course, my routine doesn't involve eyeshadow, so...
Final thoughts: Please, please, please, don't use your fingers, or a sponge for this foundation. I have not found a single way to make it work with these methods to get a realistic, natural finish (if you need full coverage). Sponges work fine (dampened) for a sheerer finish, or dry for like, theatrics, but not day to day wear. If you have a choice, use a dense stippling brush over a duo fibre brush, and a duo fibre brush over a paddle brush. And don't be discouraged if it doesn't look right for the first week. My skin, and my application, took about a week of getting used to it, and now, it works, and looks better than the $100 foundations I used to purchase. Good luck!

ladyJ

After much experimentation, I like using the MAC 190 brush the best. I blot over with a wet sponge/wedge to blend it in better since the 190 gives you a very full coverage. This foundation is pretty tricky....but you can just experiment around to see what you like best.

makeba

i dont have this brand of foundation but i would suggest using a damp foundation sponge or get the sonya kashuk blender sponge because its the best thing i discovered for applying your foundation. i have noticed a big difference in application since using the sponge. i use it damp and apply my foundation.

BEA2LS

i use a brush but my big thing for colorstay is to really buff it out with a fluffy powder brush when i am done.. i always apply over mosturizer, too.

pink_lily82

I also second using a makeup sponge for this foundation. I didn't want to spend a lengthy period of time each week cleaning my foundation brush so I switched to the sponges. I actually like this better because it blends the foundation more easily on my face. I found that with my foundation brush, I had to work it in for a little bit but not with the sponge. I get a flawless finish in 1/2 the time. AND no more having to deal with washing my brush a million times just to get it clean.

friedargh

I have this in the oily/combination skin formula and like to just use my hands since it sets pretty quickly. I do plan to get a stippling brush to try with this though as having 'foundationy' hands does get irritating but hey, it works well!

I feel that this is the best way to achieve the amount of coverage I want in different areas of the face. I use a primer beforehand and then apply pressed powder with a kabuki brush.

HTH!

L1LMAMAJ

i use the 109 brush from MAC and it works just fine. u gotta work quick with the revlon color stay because it dries pretty fast. i dilute mine with lotion because the shade is too dark for me and i like to sheer it out. gl!

bunee

oooh dont you just LOVE this foundation ? i love it !

i applied it several ways before ..
with a foundation brush, 190,
with beauty blender sponge,
with my own fingers ! hehe

to be honest, i like using my fingers for foundation the best . after im done, i cover my face with both hands . i heard the heat of your hand helps set the foundation .

tina1wina13

I have a video up where I use this foundation * updated foundation routine...youtube*

I use my fingers. Revlon Colorstay is a very smooth foundation and applies very easily, but when I tried with my 190, and with my 187, it came out streaky. I think with this one the best way to apply it is with your fingers, you get a very smooth application and blending is really easy.

shimmercoconut

I like the coverage I get while using my fingers. I don't like to use brushes because the product dries so quickly and I am afraid the product will be hard to cleanse off the brushes

Meisje

I have been using my fingers for years, but this morning I tried a damp sponge. I liked it, but it does sheer out the coverage a bit.

ModelBoy

Ok, so I found a new way that I love to apply this, now that I need far less coverage than I used to.

1.) Moisturize or use sunblock only if your skin is oily (like mine) and let sink in for five minutes.
2.) Use a silicone based primer in areas with large pores or fine lines, allow to dry one minute.
3.) Pour a dime sized amount of RCF onto a palette and mix in any add-ins (strobe cream, another shade for color matching, etc.).
4.) Using a 187 or equivalent dupe (I use the one from Target), stipple (do not BUFF!!) foundation all over face and down onto neck if necessary by sections (each cheek, nose/forehead, chin/above lip, neck). Keep stippling lightly even after all product has spread, especially around creases of nose, eyes, and any problem areas until you can feel a slight tug from foundation (as in it has dried a bit, but is still slightly wet). You need to work rather quickly as this foundation begins to dry almost immediately.
5.) Using a dense buffing brush (I love and swear by my Philosophy The Supernatural Airbrush Brush), buff lightly in small circular motions all over face, especially around areas likely to crease, settle into pores, or look cakey as the day goes on. (Note: the brush should be dry when buffing, ie. not dipped into foundation)
6.) Allow foundation to dry for five minutes. LIGHTLY buff on powder.
7.) Apply powder blush, bronzer, contouring, etc. Blend.
8.) If you have it, buff a thin layer of silicone powder with a dense kabuki over finished makeup for extra staying power and a more diffused look.
9.) Apply powder highlighter if desired (as this application is nearly completely matte.)

Using this method, my skin actually looks like SKIN. I have extremely oily skin, and this method makes it last through a 14 hour day complete with walking through a city in muggy weather, dancing under hot stage lights, and just general wear and tear. It looks fantastic in soft lighting, pretty great in florescents, and even skin-like in harsh natural lighting. By the end of that 14 hour day, I hadn't blotted once, and only had a slight amount of shine on my nose, which actually just made it look more like skin in a way haha. Using the method I posted previously, I looked fantastic in soft lighting, but had to avoid florescent like the plague and could only be seen from a few feet away in sunlight without worrying about whether people noticed my foundation or not. All fears are gone now. This still provides full coverage, but looks just oh so much like the perfect version of my real skin. Using a MSF as my highlighter, I get a dewy, glowy look that never gets greasy or oily looking. And best of all, the thing I used to be the most conscious of: NO MORE SMILE LINES!!! I hated those things, as they used to be the easiest way to tell I was wearing foundation within an hour. And this foundation does what it says: stays. It's near impossible to move/fix once it's dried, so I couldn't even disguise these tell-all creases. Now I can smile and laugh all I want without ever worrying that these awful lines will ever appear. Just thought I'd post my update! Thanks for reading!

vintageroses

I think this foundation has a funky smelll! I don't use it often because of that & mine is really new too! sighs. When i do, i use a primer!! helps the foundation slide on easily and makes it more even. I usually use a sponge, i feel it's the best way to get the foundation blended well & fast (since it does dry up pretty quick!)Use a powder to set it & spray fix + !
smiles.gif

stickbugs

It actually depends what kind of coverage you want.
I hate applying foundation with my fingers, so I personally haven't tried that.

I always apply foundation about 5 minutes after I put on moisturizer, and after I apply concealer.

For medium/natural coverage, I use a regular synthetic foundation brush and brush it on in a thin layer one area at a time and blend really well.

For heavier coverage, I stipple it on and then blend in circular motions using a kabuki brush. Some people use thei MAC 187, but any dense fluffy brush (that doesn't shed) will work.

It's not that hard to wash it out of brushes. I just use baby shampoo or my face cleaner and wet the brush and rub it in the palm of my hands, then rinse really well, and repeat. Then gently squeeze out any water left with a paper towel and lay flat to dry. I do this once a week.

Babylard

i apply my toner and moisturizers and then i apply Monistat Chafing Gel as a primer. seriously, the only thing that hasn't angered my acne issues. i've returned every other primer i've tried and gone back to it.

HG brush: Everyday Minerals Flat Top. seriously, mac 187 has nothing on this brush! its dirt cheap too. I love it more than my 182/183. It works with any powder and any liquid foundation. dot an area and buff it on.

set with finishing powder.

DarkGlamourXO

I tried it with a damp spomge and hated it! The best way for me is to apply my moisturizer first and then buff it on with my TF kabuki. That gives me an airbrushed look, you can't even tell I'm wearing anything, it just looks like skin.
smiles.gif
For light coverage I love just mixing it with my moisturizer and applying it with my fingers. It dries really fast so it's tricky, you have to play around and see what works for you.