What items do you splurge on? What do you save on?

Selene

For me:

I generally go for drugstore brands (and use coupons / buy on sale) when it comes to shampoo, soap, shower gel, facial cleanser, cleaning products in general, lipbalm, and most lipsticks and lip glosses. I find that these are good enough for me. My skin is not especially sensitive, and my hair looks fine as long as I wash it and brush it. There are a lot of drugstore lip products I like, especially Softlips lip balm, and L'Oreal lipsticks/lipglosses. Even the cheapest brands (i.e. Wet n' Wild, which sells for $1-$2 per item) have some nice lip stuff. I also save money by getting cheap haircuts (my hairstyle is very simple, just long and slightly wavy with bangs), trimming my bangs myself, and doing my own nails.

However, I am willing to spend a bit more on the following things:
-Dermatologist prescribed anti-acne treatments (i.e. retin-a, etc.) because they work very well for me, which makes them worth their price.
-High end eyeshadows and blush, because I have noticed them to be of much higher quality than cheaper ones, in general. Plus, being able to test them out in the store is a big advantage.
-Foundation/concealer, because I notice a quality difference between high end and drugstore stuff, and it's important to be able to test it out before buying to get the shade exactly right.

When it comes to nailpolish, I buy whatever is good, which tends to be midpriced (i.e. $5-$10 per bottle). There are a few notable exceptions that are cheaper, though (i.e. some Sally Hansen polishes). I generally don't spend more than $10 per bottle, unless the color is really something special that I can't get for cheaper. I will splurge on higher end base and topcoats (Nailtiques and Seche Vite respectively), because I find that the base and topcoats make a big difference in the quality and durability of my manicures.

What about you?

kimmy

i'm working on replacing all my makeup with MAC...so i guess i splurge on makeup. except for liquid eyeliner, i LOVE Wet n Wild's liquid liner
smiles.gif

glueme

I tend to save on things like translucent powder (since I only use it to catch fall out and to -very- lightly set makeup), nail polish and mascara. I still haven't brought myself to spending $20 on mascara!

I used to save on lipgloss and lipstick too, but lately I've been splurging on MAC's stuff. I still buy drugstore lipstuff sometimes, and I'm even considering my move to MAC lipstuff not too smart, sicne I don't really like the consistency of the lipglasses much anyway. I much prefer slicker, less ticky drugstore formulas such as Rimmel, CG Smoothwear and Revlon Superlustrous l/g.

lara

I don't cheap out on mascara. Once you've gone for Bad Gal Lash, you can never go back.
smiles.gif

Nothing beats Rimmel liquid liner, though!

d_flawless

i only buy MAC products, with the exception of some aveda eyeliners, lip liners, and skin-type (foundation, powder, etc.) products since i get a discount, i guess i'm going cheap for those!

coco chanel

I too save on things like shampoo, conditioner (im lucky enough to have found that trevor sorbie moisture conditioner and sunsilk blonde shampoo work amazingly well on my blonde coloured hair), shower gel, razors, body creams, nail polish, and skincare (i find my skin loves j&j face wash, face wipes and im loving nivea sunkissed skin moisturiser) and splurge on makeup! My staples are lancome foundation, becca concealer, ysl faux cils mascara, clarins eyebrow pencil and mac smoulder pencil. I cant live without these. My wallet hates me I wish I could find a cheaper d/s alternative!!

ebonyannette

I tend to spluge when it comes to my face
I dont mind spending money for good cleansers/exfoliators/moisturizers because they are not all the same. The only drug store brand I will buy is Biore, or if I have to get something else because I cant afford my regular stuff it cant be perfumy or have big granuals. Im wierd that way.

I save money on nail polish I will buy the 99cent store kind and put on like 3 coats.

With mascara I tried the expensive stuff and found it to be the same as the cheaper brands so I spent $18 on my last mascara and I wouldnt do it again.

I do spend money on my foundation/powder,
I will splurge on primers becuase they really make a big difference.

I dont mind using cheap shadow from time to time but I cant do everything cheap because they dont have enough pigments for my darker skintone and end up either looking ashy.

I tend to spend alot on hair products because of the kind of hair I have I cant just put anything on it or it will dry out.
Wow, I never really looked at how much of a Cosmetics Snob I am!!

Annie

I go to the drug store for mascara (I can't justify spending 20 dollars on it if I'll just have to throw it away in a couple months), pencil form eyeliner, pressed powder, nail polish, skincare, body wash and hair products other than shampoo/conditioner.

Eyeshadow and lipglosses are actually about half and half. I have equal amounts of high end and low end products for that.

I totally splurge on my shampoo/conditioner, foundation, liquid/cream eyeliner, lipstick, lipliner and blush.

sewpunk

I splurge on:

Cleanser (I love Chanel Le Gel Purity), Lanza Hair product, eye and face cream, anti oxident serum, makeup brushes, foundation, powder, concealer, eyeshadow, mascara, eye liners, brow kits... and an occasional lippy once in a while...
smiles.gif
Oh and body wash!

I save on:
shampoo, conditioner, hair dye, hair spray, manicure and pedicure supplies, makeup sponges, eyemakeup remover, body lotion, home waxing kits, face scrub...

CrouchingAfroHiddenPick

I splurge on foundation, mascara(lancome is the best), eyeshadow,liner, body scrub and body cream/lotion, shower gel( since I discovered Philophy shower gels),hair conditoner, hair treatments and styling products since my hair is relaxed and needs more of everything and certain facial care products! I save on everything else!

Simply Elegant

I splurge on foundation, powder, concealer, mascara, blush, spot treatments, toner, some cleansers and highlighter.

I save on lipgloss usually and some of my cleansers as well as shampoo, conditioner, razors.

Beauty Mark

Cheap: Facial cleansers, toners (I may be changing the facial thing, when I have money to see if the expensive is worth it), lip balm, nail polish (moderatley priced), liquid eyeliner, highlighter/shimmer, styling product

Splurge: Foundation, powder, lipstick/gloss, eyeshadow, Fluidlines, shampoo, conditioner

There are a few products where I do the opposite of what I listed (Milani eyeshadows), but I mostly stay true to that. I've noticed a big difference between drugstore foundation and powder and dept. store. Same with lipstick and eyeshadow, though again there are exceptions

bellaetoile

i go expensive on my face, period. for that matter, 99.5% of everything i use on my face is by mac. makeup, microfine refinisher, studio moisture cream, and studio moisture fix. i also use mac brush cleaner, fix+, etc.

shampoo and conditioner are both sunsilk, since i adore it. body wash is pond's lotion ribbons swirl, with in-shower leave on body lotion. essentially, i get everything but my makeup and facial cleanser and care at target.

perfume is always designer, though. nail polish switches back and forth between mac, essie, and OPI.

ette

I don't really cheap out on anything. Cheap things just don't work for me. The only thing I buy at the drugstore that I use on me other than toothbrushes, toothpastes, lip balm, etc., is my hair dye. I use Clairol Nice N' Easy Glaze in Dark Brown and then dye my hair once every 3 weeks with Clairol Natural Instincts in Dark Warm Chesnut. My face products are Biotherm, my body wash is as well, my shampoos/conditioners are TiGi, Matrix, or Pureology, my bath products (soaps included) are Lush, my makeup is MAC, Nars, and whatever depending on perfume, foundation, and mascara. My nail polishes are Essie, OPI, or MAC. LOL I spend too much.

Ms. Z

I use coupons for toiletries & clothes/shoe shopping (when I have them).
I will use just about any brand l/s & l/l, as long as I like the color.

I splurge on LE cosmetics & food.

amelia.jayde

i splurge on foundation, concealer, haircare, eyeshadow, blush, most makeup brushes, perfume..

i find that cheap perfume doesn't last long at all, most cheap makeup brushes shed or just feel nasty, most cheap eyeshadows and blushes don't go on bright enough for me or blend well enough, cheap haircare tends to leave my hair either frizzy, greasy or fades my color and my HG foundation and concealer just happen to be high end.

everything else, like lip gloss, lipstick, cleansers, mascara, eyeliner... i buy a mixture of drugstore and department store products

divinedime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
Wow, I never really looked at how much of a Cosmetics Snob I am!!

th_LMAO.gif

I spluge on Foundation, primers, eye shadows, and getting my eyebrows threaded.
I go drugstore on everything else. My locs are established and they seem to accept whatever because I may use something different every month to twist them with since even after 5 years I do not have a routine
tong.gif

My face at the moment seems to like St Aves and Sea Breeze but an associate at Sephora got me to try the Muraid Enzyme something other mask and I liked it so I may look into the other products.
I only buff my nails or put on clear.
L/s and L/G I will go cheap with because I'm just going to eat it off anyway, but I will admit that I have just paid 7 dollars for some lip balm (Rosebud Strawberry lip balm) and I love it.

Lorelai

Rarely do I purchase cheap facial products, cosmetics, perfumes, and cosmetic brushes as I find the high end brands just can't compare to those economically found. However, I have no trouble buying shampoo and conditioner (for all the expensive products I’ve owned, nothing can compare to the way Pert Plus reacts to my long hair- it’s just that good), shower gel, nail polish, and lip balm at my local drugstore.

:yes:

alien21xx

I'm a cheapskate on skincare because I don't really have sensitive skin. For my skincare, I've been using Cetaphil because I love how mild it is and it really stopped the break outs on my chin (happens a lot, I don't know why) But for make-up removal, I really splurge because not all make-up removers can melt waterproof mascara. Currently, I'm using Shu Uemura cleansing oil, and it's about lovely!

I definitely splurge on make-up because I love color, but I buy both high end and drugstore brands so it evens out. Besides, sometimes, I can really find some jewels in the drugstore make-up.

For my hair, I've always just used normal drugstore shampoo and conditioner (Pantene and Dove), but the softening serum I use is Kerastase. It really helps prevent split ends, and my brittle hair needs all the help it can get. LOL

For lotions and stuff, I prefer The Body Shop. I don't know if that counts as drugstore or high end. I've never really considered it high end.
greengrin.gif

For accessories like brushes, I have a plethora from different brands. I find that Manicare makes very good dome-shaped eyeshadow brushes, so I've never felt the need to buy expensive ones for that. Sephora has some good inexpensive stuff too, but for foundation I've stuck to MUFE, and blending has always been MAC 217 and 224. It's unbeatable.

For perfume, I have never used any of the drugstore stuff. Smells like men's deodorant, and while that's not a bad smell, Id rather it not be wafting from my skin! Recently, I've been using Givenchy, Escada and I'm considering Dior. I love perfume so I never scrimp on this!

For treatments, I SPLURGE!! I love getting my hair dyed at expensive high-end salons. I have a personal manicurist (though I don't seem to call on her often enough because I actually hate nail polish!) I go to a sauna and steam bath/spa at least once a week (this really vastly improves skin condition like whoa!) I can save on hair treatments by doing it myself in the steam bath though!
winks.gif
I have also gotten my hair alternately permed and rebonded at Class A salons only (it's scary, how they treat hair in the more inexpensive salons!) I also get facials done monthly and I get those mineral mud body treatments at spas once a week. I guess I'm just a real beauty addict!