What to do with fake brushes?

cocolette

I got the 168 and 239 from 'milliemarble'

MAC COSMETICS #168 Large ANGLED CONTOUR BRUSH New on eBay, also Face, Beauty Tools, Makeup, Health Beauty (end time 09-Dec-07 03:16:19 GMT)

they are fake, i can tell, they are glittery, the MAC logo is way off and there is glue all around the metal bits.

What are the first steps to getting my money back, i have sent her a message saying

'Hey, just wondering where you got the brushes you sent me from becuase they appear to be fakes!
Im taking them to a counter to get them checked, thanks!'

What do i do now? i wont take them to a counter, but its so obv. that they are fakes, i have 5 mac brushes to compair them too and even the handle colours are off!!
thanks cornelia xxx

prinzessin784

I would just say that they are fake and you want your money back. Make sure that it doesn't say anywhere (even in small text) in the listing that they are not authentic and then tell her you were mislead. If she argues with you then you can file through paypal.

prinzessin784

oh and make sure you save every email that you send her and that she sends you, it makes it easier to file a dispute if you have proof of your communication.

wolfsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzessin784
oh and make sure you save every email that you send her and that she sends you, it makes it easier to file a dispute if you have proof of your communication.

If you send messages via ebay, then paypal will be able to view them as they are owned by ebay.

bustaboo

Do be careful when opening a dispute with PayPal though, I opened one when I spent $260 (incl $30 postage from the US to Australia) on a fake set of brushes and could not get what PayPal wanted which was a letter from an authorised person (someone who works for MAC).

I went to the only MAC counter in my city where the makeup artists confirmed they were fake, I explained to them exactly what I needed for PayPal and they told me I would need something from head office as they were not authorised to write a letter for me themselves. They were very helpful, gave me head offices main number which was for Estee Lauder and even let me use their phone. But even after their help, head office advised me it is not in their policy to provide letters for things like that especially when it was not purchased directly from MAC.

I was extremely disappointed and I contacted PayPal right away explaining what had happened and asked if there was anything else I could do or provide for my case. They mucked me around everytime I called. I'd be told "oh I'll refer your case to the supervisor and they will email you when they have some information" (was never emailed anything specifically responding to my calls, just the reminder emails telling me I need to fax my letter/proof before the close date) I ended up calling every day and was being told the same stuff. Then when the close date was near I said they haven't helped me much, so another PayPal person told me to write in an email everything I'd done, my situation, etc. Did that, got another reminder email. After the close date I called PayPal again and the person told me they have emailed me numerous times about my calls (these emails turned out to be the reminder emails for my case) which was even more disappointing.

What's worse is that the seller was extremely difficult and rude and insisted the brushes were authentic. Would not offer me a full refund and kept trying to get me to send the brushes back so she could send me another set (which would mean I would have to pay for postage to the US, and she wanted a shipping number and everything before she did anything) Her eBay ID is inactive and she has probably made a new one to sell the brush sets on.

Sorry for the long post (I think this is even my first post on Specktra!) I just thought I should share my experience with you and anyone else who has been tricked into buying fakes. Maybe it's different with MAC in other countries when it comes to the letters PayPal want as proof so I'd suggest checking with head office if you can get what PayPal needs before opening a dispute.

MACATTAK

It depends on the seller. Some don't want any trouble & will refund you & others as seen from above, welcome it. Like an above post said, send another message saying these are fake & you would like a refund. If they don't want to do that & you paid with Paypal, you could always do a dispute with your bank/credit card company.

thedvlsangel

do these look fake?
i bid on them not thinking i would get them, and i ended up winning it. I have never had a MAC brush and nothing to compare it to when it gets here.
Any ideas?
29-2.jpg

red

Mac will not authenticate anything purchased on Ebay, I was clearly told that. Anything not purchased at Mac (or Mac counter) is considered "dubious". Only items purchased at Mac are considered authentic.

goink

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedvlsangel
do these look fake?
i bid on them not thinking i would get them, and i ended up winning it. I have never had a MAC brush and nothing to compare it to when it gets here.
Any ideas?

They are fake. MAC SE, LE or regular sized brushes do not have a flat end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
Mac will not authenticate anything purchased on Ebay, I was clearly told that. Anything not purchased at Mac (or Mac counter) is considered "dubious". Only items purchased at Mac are considered authentic.

Actually, many luxury brands do the same.

Indian Barbie

Quote:
do these look fake?
Any ideas?
29-2.jpg

I've never seen a brush set like that before, I don't think thats authentic
ssad.gif

landonsmother

Quote:
do these look fake?
Any ideas?
29-2.jpg

i believe they are FAKES. sorry to burst your bubble hun.

noahlowryfan

Quote:
do these look fake?
Any ideas?
29-2.jpg

those are definitely fakes.

thedvlsangel

oh well. i really didnt pay shit for them so its cool. my sister actually got the same ones and they are pretty nice regardless.
shrugs.gif

cocolette

Yup, deffo fake!

Ive given up buying mac on ebay now, its just too much hassel, i will buy from two sellers that i know but id rather just buy from the store
greengrin.gif

On the brushes, i got a refund and she left me bad feedback saying i was nasty, which i wasnt, i was very nice about it and told her the signs and how to be weary about them!
thanks for the help :p
coco xxxx