What will you choose: makeup or responsibility?

cocomia

Okay that's probably not the best title for the post.

Anyway, I've been thinking. I'm pretty new when it comes to makeup and I love every minute of using it. However, I keep thinking that a lot of my cash goes into it, while so many people can't even afford to buy food. I'm not talking about the problem of poverty in Africa, but I can see that my neighbors don't even have a decent place to live in.

People have been telling me I can always get 'cheaper' products with good quality but really, it's not the same is it? You have to admit, high end brands will always be better than drugstore brands in some aspects.

I've just been wondering about this ever since the holidays. I've been craving for the entire Cult of Cherry collection and with the hype over the HK and BBR collections, I know I'm going to be spending a lot more. There's always that feeling of guilt when I step out of the MAC store and see a street vendor trying to scrape out a living!

How do you reconcile this 'dilemma' of sorts, given that you also have the same interest in cosmetics as I do? How do you 'justify' the makeup shopping?
smiles.gif
If you're an MA, it doesn't really count since you do it for a living. Thoughts, anyone?

lesreid2

I don't know if I have the thought of "justifying" my make-up purchases. Sometimes I do think back and go "did I really need to get ALL of that?" I see new things and get excited too, HOWEVER, if you wait, the excitement will wear off. Look at your make-up collection. Do you NEED the whole Cult of Cherry collection? Can you pick a couple things from each collection instead of getting them ALL? Can you find dupes? Not the cheesy kind. NYX has MAC dupes and IMO, NYX is a very good brand and doesn't cost a ton. Nothing is worse then buyers remorse. If you're feeling bad about spending so much money on m/u, have you considered doing things for others that will make you feel good. Like Soldiers Angels or something. You can focus your energies elsewhere and maybe get m/u off the brain if only for a while,lol.

Lauren1981

i choose responsibility over anything. but i only choose MY responsiblities.
this is such a broad subject because it can go in so many directions but STRICTLY SPEAKING FOR ME:
i make sure my bills, rent, & any misc. obligations are taken care of before i buy any makeup. as much as i love it i can't fathom having this big ass haul with no gas, food, or a roof over my head. these times are tough, i know, but i don't feel guilty when i buy anything as far as the state of someone else. i couldn't save anyone even if i wanted to without letting myself down so i do the only thing i can do and that is to take care of me. if anyone i'm close to needs me i am there for them 100%. i really don't feel i need to justify anything when i buy makeup because that is my treat to myself. MAC is my thing and i don't feel guilty for buying it. there are some times when i can't buy any and i just don't buy any. i do have moral obligations to ppl that i know and i take those things VERY seriously being that i'm an extremely caring & empathetic person but what i choose to do with my money is what i choose to do with it and i don't feel guilty or as if i need to justify it.
just my opinion
winkiss.gif

abbey_08

i dont really think of it that way but i just got made redundant and i have no money but im still buying mac...im determind im not buying anymore until i get a new job now though. but im so terrible with money i have a mountain of debts aswell...2009 is gonna be the year i start becomming responsible with money!!!!!!!!

you shouldnt compare buying makeup to other people being really poor though because its not the same really

MissResha

i know one thing, i effed up last month big time. and my hubby is going to send me to rehab if i dont stop spending money on great deals i find on specktra alone lol.

its hard to pass up a deal, but i need to focus on my bills. i dunno what's gotten into me lately. i blame this msg board LOL.

leenybeeny

I agree with Lauren1981. I spend, but I only do it if I have extra money. My responsibilies come first. Also, if my friends or family need me, they come first before material things as well. Social responsibility is different. You don't have to spend money to contribute.. you can contribute your time. It's all up to you to do what makes you feel best.

NutMeg

At this stage in my life I don't have a lot of "extra" money, so I treat myself on things like skincare before I buy makeup. I have enough that I'm not running out anytime soon, and there are other beauty products that I have a greater need for. That being said I know have to figure out how to fit a $50 moisturizer purchase into my budget, in a month when tuition and books are coming due. Ugh. If I can't afford it, I'm just going to have to live with a cheap moisturizer for a while longer. If I can afford it, I'm not going to feel guilty about it.

As a student, I do not have the money to be helping others. What I do have is time, and I'm donating that. That is a good balance for me.

cocomia

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey_08
i dont really think of it that way but i just got made redundant and i have no money but im still buying mac...im determind im not buying anymore until i get a new job now though. but im so terrible with money i have a mountain of debts aswell...2009 is gonna be the year i start becomming responsible with money!!!!!!!!

you shouldnt compare buying makeup to other people being really poor though because its not the same really

I'm not comparing actually, it's more of trying to find a reconciliation between buying high end and at the same time being able to stomach the fact that people could be fed by the money I'm spending on cosmetics. They're definitely NOT the same; they're actually poles apart. I understand the part where I can consider it as a treat or a gift to myself, once I've accomplished something. Or I can consider it as a hobby, or a collection. Nothing harmless about that right?

Still, what I'm mainly thinking of is the certainty that I'll always be wanting MORE. But I guess that is part of human nature, wanting more, creating change, and looking for improvement. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but how then can someone ever be contented?

I suppose my phrasing of the topic is wrong, that I'm making you choose, but I'm looking for how you can strike a balance between the two. And if you would like to broaden it, it's not just makeup it could also be fashion or anything considered to be a luxury.

Oh yeah, I do try to get involved social work when I have the time. Like some of those who answered, I don't have a lot of cash to offer. I actually enjoy doing social work, like really getting involved with the people I'm 'helping'
smiles.gif

Thanks for reading the post.

wynchester76

being i have joined the unemployed (against my will--i was laid off) i am totally taking responsibility. Being i made a substantial amount over minimum wage i really didn't have to think about is that $15.00 for a shadow gonna break me--now it just might so I am trying to not even go on the website or to the store. Whats the point? Besides honestly do I really need any more makeup? Nope! Reality & this economy really sinks in when 1/2 of your family income has disappeared overnite and unemployment! what a joke! i cant live off $275.00/week granted its better than nothing though & more than minimum wage which is all i have been able to find. I got a job at Red Lobster as a hostess that pays $8.50/hour but i don't even get 40 hours. Do the math--I am now seriously considering not taking the job--can u blame me i literally get more from unemployment! Sorry got way off topic here lol.

M.A.C. head.

I don't look down on people with less than I have, and I don't even have ALL that much, but I'm also not going to feel guilty for spending my hard earned money. I'm not saying that said street vendor isn't trying hard to earn money, it just means that we lead different lives, and I don't need to feel bad for living mine the way I see fit.

BEA2LS

I have been dead poor (personally dealt with homelessness) and I have been well off. now i can make ends meet but i struggle, so i can see all sides to this.
#1 do not ever feel guilty for spending your hard earned money

always remember that it is your money. that said, i do feel somewhat guilty spending money on stuff like that. only because i have been there. the $7 i spend on essie (my current love) has one time been the $7 I needed so badly for gas. to be honest, there are days where I still literally have no money to spend. right now my bank account is negative $50 and my whole paycheck goes to rent. times are hard but what can i do?

Blushbaby

Hmmm well I don't buy MAC or any other brand for the sake of it or just so I can say "Oooh I have that". I don't buy products/coloursthat don't suit my complexion like some people do and I really have no issue with buying cheaper brands - I'm a bargain hunter so regardless of price if it's cost-effective and good quality then I'll get it.

I don't have kids and am responsible financially for myself, and self alone so my money is mine to do what I want with.

So long as I'm not leaving my rent unpaid for makeup (which in black and white is flippin' downright stupid) then I don't really feel I have to justify what I spend my money on to anybody.

For the record I only have crazy hauls when I come to NY cos I have access to brands that aren't avail in the UK and I can save a lil' money on certain brands that are.

I can quite happily go months without buying makeup. I love MAC but I really wouldn't say I was obsessed anyway. I have a life and don't toss and turn in bed thinking about future collections!
th_dunno.gif
cutey.gif

I'm by no means rich and I love to have nice things (who doesn't?) but it's my money that I've worked hard to earn it ..so I can spend it as I please.

I actually think I spend more on shoes than makeup anyway.

Beauty Mark

As long as you are being responsible to yourself (like you're not in debt because of makeup), I don't think there is a problem. People should mind their business if they're telling you could get cheaper brands, unless you asked. I think everyone has at least one indulgence that they could conceivably live without. It's your money.

I do think that it is a good idea to give money or time or whatever you have to help people. I'm a firm believer that if everyone gave back in society just a bit, things would be a lot better. It can be from giving $10/month to a charity to donating your old clothes (you may not want to wear your winter coat from 2 years ago, but someone else may) to giving time. It all contributes to something.

X4biddenxLustX

Wynchester76: I had a very similiar issue with a job. I got "hired" at macys even after i told them i can only work certain days. Things were horrible from the start, the girl who did the hiring was inexperienced when it came to hiring people and we had issues filling out all the forms. I got a phone call later on telling me that unless i can work a certain day I can't have the job, even though we went over the schedule I could work twice. She said that if I only worked the days that I said I could they would only give me 5 to 10 hours a week and wouldn't even want me on top of that! And that I was only "entitled" to 20 hours a week anyways which would only allow me to make probably a little under $150 a week. I just wish they told me what days and hours they needed someone to work before making the final decision to say i'm "hired". I got my hopes up for nothing grrrr!

I think that as long as you have the essential things (rent/morgage, bills, food, etc) paid and a bit extra money saved up each month, its okay to spend some cash on things like makeup. You just have to set a limit of how much you'll spend each month and if you do go over it, make sure you deduct that amount from next months makeup budget.

I've really been trying to cut back on purchases on things that I dont really absolutely need makeup wise like dupes that I probably have whenever a new collection comes out. Or on things that I dont really even use ahemm Mi'Lady mineralized eyeshadow duo. You could even do something like this, lets say you really really want this certain MAC eyeshadow and a mascara or makeup remover also, why not buy the eyeshadow and instead of buying a high end mascara or makeup remover try a drugstore brand. Theres just some things that I dont think I'll ever be willing to pay ridiculous prices on like mascara and eye makeup remover when I can find cheap alternatives.

lara

With balance and perspective there's no reason why you can't be both indulgent and responsible.

I have taken a voluntary unpaid month off work due to some serious health issues with a return in the future to non-fulltime employment - I had to seriously balance out the positives and negatives of this, weigh stability against my health, and work out a water-tight budget that considers emergencies, bills, food and fun. I can still indulge to a generous degree, but I'm more conscious of what the limits are.

People just honestly have no sense of perspective in regards to money. Budget seems to be a poisonous word these days.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
With balance and perspective there's no reason why you can't be both indulgent and responsible.

I have taken a voluntary unpaid month off work due to some serious health issues with a return in the future to non-fulltime employment - I had to seriously balance out the positives and negatives of this, weigh stability against my health, and work out a water-tight budget that considers emergencies, bills, food and fun. I can still indulge to a generous degree, but I'm more conscious of what the limits are.

People just honestly have no sense of perspective in regards to money. Budget seems to be a poisonous word these days.

hope you're ok girl
ssad.gif
sending you good vibes!

MissMochaXOXO

u just have to budget ur money.buy ur basic everyday stuff first. if u need or want a new eyeshadow, then cut eating out that week or walk somewhere instead of driving to save on gas! trust me, there are ways to afford high quality products! u just have to be smart about it and don't go crazy buying things u know u'll only use once every 2 months.

i've learned that a $14 mac eyeshadow is more worth it then a $3.00 drugstore one because they are way way way more pigmented so i don't have to reapply it 567 times for it to show, they last hours longer on me, and they look a million times smoother and prettier so i feel better about myself!

FullWroth

If you base your entire life around what other people don't have, you'd never get to enjoy anything. After all, how can you buy name brand food when other people have to settle for generic because it's cheaper? How can you go out to eat at a nice restaurant when some people can barely afford McDonald's? Why eat healthy and organic when it's more expensive and other people are struggling just to get crappy scientifically tampered-with food and additives that could give them health problems?

What's make-up worth to YOU? That's the important question here. Do you have the disposable income to pay for it after you've paid off all your necessities? Do you feel like it's worth it to you to pay that much for what you're getting? Do you *want* it? Then get it. A random homeless person on the street is not going to get any less homeless because you didn't spend $15 on eyeshadow.

It's good to help out, and to donate to the charity of your choice when you can, but there comes a point where you have to remember that your money is something you work hard to earn, and you don't owe its spending to anyone but yourself. It's *nice* to use it to do nice things for other people sometimes, but ultimately that money is *your* time and hard work spent to give *you* comfort and enjoyment, whatever that might be. So if buying high-end make-up gives you comfort and enjoyment, do it. You worked for it, lady! You earned it!

There will always be people who don't think high-end prices are worth it (I know there are some days I don't!), but that's because it's not worth it to THEM. I wouldn't spend triple-digits on a curling iron because I usually don't do anything to my hair. I wouldn't buy a Vuitton purse because I don't use a purse to begin with, and to me, anything over $50 is ridiculously not worth it for one. I also wouldn't buy a karaoke machine, season tickets to go see a basketball team play, or a Rolls Royce (assuming I could afford one!), and that doesn't necessarily make me better or more frugal than the people who do. How you spend your leisure money (because I'm going to assume you pay your bills off BEFORE doing your frivolous spending) doesn't have to be justifiable to other people - it only has to be justifiable to you, for your life and income and tastes.

iluffyew769769

You should make sure you can pay all your bills, but if you have a little money left over splurge (in moderation). remember, it is always good to have some extra money saved in case something happens.

zzoester

I personally view cosmetics as necessary. I absolutely won't/can't go to work without it....it'ss a part of my everyday life. I determine what my basic needs are when it comes to make up and I keep those stocked up at all times. So, they are worked into the budget for the long run. Basics for me are: MAC foundation/concealer/powder, UDPP, spiked brows, NARS Orgasm blush, UD 24/7 eye pencil, drugstore mascara, MAC e/s (I only own 25 at the moment and I only repurchase my top 10), occasional essie/OPI nail polish, seche vite topcoat, chapstick, and all of my Paula's Choice skincare products.

Anything beyond that is considered a splurge to me. Like funky e/s colors, cool stuff from sephora, perfumes, glitters, expensive lipgloss, anything other than black or brown eyeliner, expensive mascara, etc. I've certainly been known to indulge in products I didn't need but only when I have the extra cash. No CC debit, no overspending, no going without basic necessities in life or paying bills late for me.

I used to be really irresponsible with money when I was 18-20 and I definitely learned from my mistakes!!
smiles.gif