What's your basic face?

darkishstar

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but I'm directing this question to the MAC make-up artists because I'm curious.
greengrin.gif

What is the basic face you like to do? Basically, the face you do when someone is not sure what they want, or basically the quick face you do for someone that you're sure is looking for a makeover or getting their makeup done and probably won't purchase something.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, if the question seems that way. I just want to know the different looks each MUA likes to do if it's a quick face. I think it'd be interesting.
smiles.gif

GreekChick

First, I ask if they would like a daytme look, or more of a smoky nightime look. If it's the latter, I grab Carbon, Ricepaper, and a third aqua-pink-copper-gold-green or whatever she chooses to place on the lid.
Clients always want smoky eyes. Women in my area rarely ask for red lips or creative eye makeup, and when they do, we all jump with joy because we finally get to do something different.
If it's for a daytime look, I'll use Handwritten with anything. I love to play up the lips with colors like Craving, Fabby, New York Apple, etc...
As I said earlier though, rare is the client who asks for a Dubonnet lip. We are living in a "nude lips" nation.

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
First, I ask if they would like a daytme look, or more of a smoky nightime look. If it's the latter, I grab Carbon, Ricepaper, and a third aqua-pink-copper-gold-green or whatever she chooses to place on the lid.
Clients always want smoky eyes. Women in my area rarely ask for red lips or creative eye makeup, and when they do, we all jump with joy because we finally get to do something different.
If it's for a daytime look, I'll use Handwritten with anything. I love to play up the lips with colors like Craving, Fabby, New York Apple, etc...
As I said earlier though, rare is the client who asks for a Dubonnet lip. We are living in a "nude lips" nation.

Thanks for the response! That was really interesting that we're in a "nude lips" nation. =)

Ooooh, I guess I'm one of those that usually go for something different! Because I'm always asking for bright lips and reds. =) I guess that's why the N collection was so fun for me. =)

chocolategoddes

I'm not a MAC artist but I think i'd do exactly what GreekChick would do. Take a highlight, a main base color, and a darker color for contouring. Then do some blush, some highlight/countour, and a simple pretty lip. Its easy to do and universal for pretty much every face.

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
I'm not a MAC artist but I think i'd do exactly what GreekChick would do. Take a highlight, a main base color, and a darker color for contouring. Then do some blush, some highlight/countour, and a simple pretty lip. Its easy to do and universal for pretty much every face.

When you say take a highlight, a main base color, and darker color for contouring, are you referring to eye-makeup?

lara

99.999% of the time customers just want to try what you're wearing, so I reach for the pared-down basic version of whatever I have on that day. Usually it's a silver-taupe and black/gunmetal grey smoky eye, so I do a really quick daytime version of that.

When in doubt, grab a satiny champagne, fleshy pink or bronze and charcoal brown, do a neutral-but--still-fancy eye and call it a day.

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
99.999% of the time customers just want to try what you're wearing, so I reach for the pared-down basic version of whatever I have on that day. Usually it's a silver-taupe and black/gunmetal grey smoky eye, so I do a really quick daytime version of that.

When in doubt, grab a satiny champagne, fleshy pink or bronze and charcoal brown, do a neutral-but--still-fancy eye and call it a day.

Thanks for the info! This is really helpful. =) *takes notes*

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkishstar
When you say take a highlight, a main base color, and darker color for contouring, are you referring to eye-makeup?

Oh, silly me! Yeah. I mean that for te eyes. I'd get Carbon, Ricepaper (or some other highlighy. maybe vanilla pigment cuz thats popular) and a main base color. Its quick, easy to do and easy to teach.

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
Oh, silly me! Yeah. I mean that for te eyes. I'd get Carbon, Ricepaper (or some other highlighy. maybe vanilla pigment cuz thats popular) and a main base color. Its quick, easy to do and easy to teach.

Thanks for clearing that up. =)

FacesbyNiki

It depends on their mood (they can get real bitchy when your mind reading powers are low that day) and how much time they have. But I always ask, what look and where they are going, if they aren't sure what they want, I ask what colors they like and do a soft look. That way, if they want more it won't be hard to take it to that level.
smiles.gif

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
It depends on their mood (they can get real bitchy when your mind reading powers are low that day) and how much time they have. But I always ask, what look and where they are going, if they aren't sure what they want, I ask what colors they like and do a soft look. That way, if they want more it won't be hard to take it to that level.
smiles.gif

That's definitely a good thing to know! Especially to start with a soft look and maybe make it more dramatic if that's what they want. =)

Thanks!

giz2000

I usually do one of two looks for a quick, basic "I want something I can do at home myself look:"

Eyes - Woodwinked on lid, Soft Brown or some other brown shade in the crease, and Ricepaper on the brow. Blacktrack or Dipdown liner, mascara, Cork on the brows, Peachtwist, Blushbaby or Ambering Rose (depending on skin tone) for cheeks, and Beaux lustreglass....or I do a smoky eye with Knight Divine on lid, Kid in the crease, Carbon in the outer corner and lower lid and Retrospeck or Brule on the brow, lots of Blacktrack and Carbon as liner and lots of mascara...those two looks are my "go-to" looks that work really well 99% of the time. Not too colorful, but most of my customers aren't into color anyway (which can be a little boring sometimes)

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
I usually do one of two looks for a quick, basic "I want something I can do at home myself look:"

Eyes - Woodwinked on lid, Soft Brown or some other brown shade in the crease, and Ricepaper on the brow. Blacktrack or Dipdown liner, mascara, Cork on the brows, Peachtwist, Blushbaby or Ambering Rose (depending on skin tone) for cheeks, and Beaux lustreglass....or I do a smoky eye with Knight Divine on lid, Kid in the crease, Carbon in the outer corner and lower lid and Retrospeck or Brule on the brow, lots of Blacktrack and Carbon as liner and lots of mascara...those two looks are my "go-to" looks that work really well 99% of the time. Not too colorful, but most of my customers aren't into color anyway (which can be a little boring sometimes)

Yeah, a lot of these posts so far at neutral brow, gray, black, and highlights which is boring, but I guess if it is what people want then it's the way to go I guess! I myself like color, but I guess most people aren't into that.

Thanks for the response! =)