When to dump your face brushes?

kiss

I have been using my 187 and 182 face brushes for about 2.5 years and they got rough. I wash them with the MAC brush cleaner but they don't feel as soft anymore even after a washing. I have recently started using my MUFE kabuki which is sooo much softer in comparison so I am thinking if I should retire my MAC ones entirely. How long did your face brushes last? Perhaps I am just spoiled, but I have sensitive skin and always feel like I am damaging my skin if the brush is not ultra soft.

LMD84

do you condition your brushes? because my original 129 which is about 3 years old got a little scratchy but i condition it every now and then with what i use on my hair and that softens it right up!
smiles.gif
so don't give up on them yet!

Billie28

I have bought my first Brush (150) 18 years ago and it looks like new. And my other brushes too.

VanillaGorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie28
I have bought my first Brush (150) 18 years ago and it looks like new. And my other brushes too.

Oh my gosh, 18 years! It's comforting that you certainly get your moneys worth then
greengrin.gif

Civies

Quote:

My gosh that brush is older than I am
choochoo.gif

MzzRach

In my opinion, a high quality brush like a MAC brush should last several years, with proper use and regular cleaning. I have brushes in my collection (not all MAC, but high end) that I have had for 8-10 years and are still almost like new. However, I am pretty fastidious about cleaning them and taking care of them properly.

DILLIGAF

Sorry to go off topic but I saw an article in a major woman's fashion magazine that suggested putting your brushes in the silverware cup of your diswasher to clean them.
nonono.gif
Then standing them up to dry in a cup after.
nonono.gif
nonono.gif
I damn near had a heartattack!

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF
Sorry to go off topic but I saw an article in a major woman's fashion magazine that suggested putting your brushes in the silverware cup of your diswasher to clean them.
nonono.gif
nonono.gif
nonono.gif

oh dear Lord! i'd be writing into the magazine who suggested that! yes that is the thing to do... if you want to bugger them up pretty quickly!
nope.gif

kiss

Quote:

Wow. Brushes for life! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
In my opinion, a high quality brush like a MAC brush should last several years, with proper use and regular cleaning. I have brushes in my collection (not all MAC, but high end) that I have had for 8-10 years and are still almost like new. However, I am pretty fastidious about cleaning them and taking care of them properly.

How often do you clean them? I cleaned them about every 4 weeks which I thought was adequate enough from what I read before.

What type of conditioner do you guys use? Will Herbal essences coconut one suffice? haha

xxManBeaterxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss
How often do you clean them? I cleaned them about every 4 weeks which I thought was adequate enough from what I read before.

What type of conditioner do you guys use? Will Herbal essences coconut one suffice? haha

I baby shampoo my brushes once every week or two at the latest. After every use i either use a brush cleaner to clean it or i wipe it on some wet one's antibacterial wipes.

I actually use a deep conditioner on my face brushes. I use Redken smooth down or paul mitchell deep moisture charge. It makes my brushes feel sooo soft.

I have brushes that are 10 years old and they're still going strong!

MzzRach

I use a mild liquid cleanser on my brushes every week (for the brushes I use every day). If I am using the same brush for different colours (i.e. eye shadow) I use a spray on cleanser like Make Up For Ever or Brush Off. But I consider the spray cleansers "in between" quick cleaning that does not take the place of the regular weekly cleaning.

I also always dry brushes laying flat, never upright.

Washing makeup brushes in the dishwasher?? That's just plain bonkers, in my opinion.
lol.gif

xbuttonsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF
nonono.gif
nonono.gif
nonono.gif

I read that same thing!! Ugh, how horrible for your brushes
ssad.gif

kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach

I also always dry brushes laying flat, never upright.

Yeah, I always do this. I actually thought washing your brush so often wears them out more.