Why are some counters just more aproachable?

jeannette

The layout of the counter definitely matters. Some shops appear more approachable because of lighting and how the furniture and counters are arranged. There are 4 MAC counters here in Singapore (downtown) and their layout are all different. The counter I like most is a lot smaller than the rest, which makes it seem cozier.
smiles.gif

GreekChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliedavis
I think that was completely uncalled for... I have a Pro card because I do free-lance work for weddings; not that it's any of your business. From your attitude I would assume you probably work for MAC. If not, then you should because you have the attitude down pat. I don't think anyone should have to stand around and wait for 1/2 an hour just to have someone open a drawer for you, and then have them stand there tapping their foot while you peruse the selection. If all the items in stock were prominently displayed and not hidden in drawers, I wouldn't have to stand there in the first place. The store's set-up could use an overhaul.

I'm sick of hearing everyone saying that MAC's MA are bitchy, snobby, impatient etc etc
I'm sorry but this is uncalled for as well. Not all of MAC's MA artists have a bad attitude...We're very well trained to make your experience at any counter enjoyable..This training is necessary to every empoloyee. All the fellow MA I've met to date have all been extremely sweet and patient, as I am sure they are on the job as well. Please dont turn your bad experience at a particular counter into a general statement.
If you think the store's set-up is bad, why dont you speak to the manager and tell him you'd prefer having TESTERS on display therefore making your choices and your life easier. You sample things on your hand, then mentally make a list of everything you like, the give all the names of eyeshadow/lipglass/etc to the MA so that he/she can get them for you..This would not only help you but other clients that shop there also. I've never seen a counter till date with a display that hides the testers or the items in the drawers...The products FOR SALE are suppose to be in the drawers, and thats also a place where no one should be looking except the MAs.....

asnbrb

I've had my share of both mean and very nice MAs. There has been times where I've been acknowledged right away with tons of people in the store and times where I was the only person in the front of the store- no MA's in sight.

Now, I'm not a MA but my second job is in retail and I need to say that I don't think it's fair to characterize a MAC MA as mean or as having an attitude problem. I've met several MAs who are very helpful and patient with my fumbling around with testers and one who chatted my mom up for fifteen minutes while I moseyed around the counter making my list (yeah, if I'm grabbing a lot, I bring a pad of paper and write my wishlist down as I'm testing and give them the list at the end for purchasing).

On the other hand, however, there are those who do work for the company who do fit the stereotype (notice I said "stereotype") of "bitchy", "snotty", and "impatient". I've been outright ignored and told not to "play with the testers" and had them snatched right out of my hands.

People need to remember that these are INDIVIDUALS who work for the company- there's tons of people like this is every career- not just MAC. Unfortunately, when people have a bad experience, this just tends to stick out in their minds and reinforces the stereotype that's already in their minds. They're also going to go to their friends and say "Don't go there- this person's a bitch and she won't help you."

If there is a problem with something or someone, go straight to the top. Ask for the counter manager or the manager of the store. Write to MAC. Get NAMES and the time/date that this happened. Be calm and specific and if this person is outrageously rude- NAIL THEIR BUTT TO THE WALL. People who are rude should NOT be working in retail.

Well, since this is getting long, I should wrap up by also adding that if the drawers were open to customers, their LP costs would skyrocket. Can you imagine the increase in theft if you could grab something smaller than your hand and shove it into your bag without anyone noticing?

arbonnechick

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty
You're an idiot Hollie....what the hell are you doing with a Pro card anyway?? Wait your turn like everyone else and then when you know what you want......ASK!

Excuse me, but.....who the HELL are you, anyway? :confused:

jenniferm1972

I agree asnbrb...
If someone was rude to me or ignored me, I would first go to the manager. If the course of action taken by the manager didn't suit me, I'd go up from there, even writing a letter or two if it ended up being necessary.
It's so true that rude people don't belong in retail. Neither do lazy people or those who can't handle things when it gets busy. If I was made to wait more than 5-10 min...I'd be mad as well. If someone acted impatient with me, I'd probably say something to them, perhaps even demanding that someone else be sent to help me. I wouldn't want to give someone who I think didn't deserve it the commision from my haul...
Fortunately, I've only encountered ONE M/A I didn't particularly care for. And she's not at the counter anymore....thank goodness.

I don't think anyone here was insinuating that all MAC m/a are rude either. Sure didn't seem that way to me.
But I do think that name calling has no business here. We're all adults aren't we? (or aren't we? lol)

cicconeyouth

I'm tired of being treated poorly at my counter, so I try to go to different counters now or order online. I have no idea why the service is so inconsistent (even with the same MAs) at the counter nearest me. Maybe they realize that they are going to make a big sale to me regardless of what they do or say because I always buy quite a bit so they don't feel the need to "pamper" (aka be nice) to me anymore...

Juneplum

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty
You're an idiot Hollie....what the hell are you doing with a Pro card anyway?? Wait your turn like everyone else and then when you know what you want......ASK!

This kind of comment is completely unnecessary and uncalled for. Please be aware that it is a violation of Specktra.net TOS to personally attack a member and as thus will not be tolerated. 1st warning.

holliedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferm1972
I agree asnbrb...
If someone was rude to me or ignored me, I would first go to the manager. If the course of action taken by the manager didn't suit me, I'd go up from there, even writing a letter or two if it ended up being necessary.
It's so true that rude people don't belong in retail. Neither do lazy people or those who can't handle things when it gets busy. If I was made to wait more than 5-10 min...I'd be mad as well. If someone acted impatient with me, I'd probably say something to them, perhaps even demanding that someone else be sent to help me. I wouldn't want to give someone who I think didn't deserve it the commision from my haul...
Fortunately, I've only encountered ONE M/A I didn't particularly care for. And she's not at the counter anymore....thank goodness.

I don't think anyone here was insinuating that all MAC m/a are rude either. Sure didn't seem that way to me.
But I do think that name calling has no business here. We're all adults aren't we? (or aren't we? lol)

I agree that not ALL M.A.'s are rude and obnoxious, but I have run into that problem more frequently in MAC than in other retail stores. I think the reason for this is partly due to the fact that, unlike many other retail experiences, you are somewhat unable to help yourself. Because you can not simply grab a shopping basket, make your selections, and make your way to the counter.... you must wait for one of the MA's (who are usually busy with a make-over or other people) to walk around the store with you to get your items. I realize tht the shopping experience is meant to be "personalized", but there are rarely enough MA's (in the local free-standing store) at any given time to help each person individually (and simultaneously). Therefore, we are impatient from waiting and the MA's are rushed. I do find the service to be much better at the Dillard's counter, but I can only use my PPID in the free-standing store. I would LOVE it it the PPID was accepted at all counters... wouldn't that be fantastic???

As for the name calling, I agree... Completely childish and uncalled for. If you review her post history from her profile you will find a dramatic tirade that calls all of us "Mac Addicts" idiots that need to get a life. She seems to spend enough time lurking around here herself.... Interesting.... and hypocritical!

MA's

I'm a ma for MAC and having worked at several locations for the company, I think there are several factors in making a counter more approachable to the customers, but the main one is management.

Bad management = cranky ma's.

Great managers who care about their employees = happy ma's.

That's all there is to it.
smiles.gif

I've worked with ma's who are supremely rude to customers, but generally, that is because they're just rude people.

MissMarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaSharkee
I'm a ma for MAC and having worked at several locations for the company, I think there are several factors in making a counter more approachable to the customers, but the main one is management.

smiles.gif

I've worked with ma's who are supremely rude to customers, but generally, that is because they're just rude people.

I think this was a great post that sums a lot of things up. We can't judge workers by the brand they work for, because all the MAs at each counter are trained and managed differently than MAs at another counter might be. The atmosphere where they work may play a great part in the attitude towards customer service. It also depends on the person as an individual.

I have run into some rude and/or apathetic MAs, and some incredible, kind, and genuinely fun MAs who love their jobs and love to help us find what will look best.

But I will say, the name-calling and general rudeness- if you're going to play that game, take it to Beauty Bash or something, we don't need or want it here. And I seriously doubt that corporate MAC would appreciate one of their employees coming to this board and insulting their best customers. If you look at the traincase section, you'll see collections worth thousands of dollars- and an MA who is insulting and hateful does not deserve those sales, commission or not!

Wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMarley
...I seriously doubt that corporate MAC would appreciate one of their employees coming to this board and insulting their best customers.

clapping.gif
Well said Marley!!
greengrin.gif

d_flawless

Quote:

smiles.gif

exactly. i'm not sure what i was trying to get at why starting the thread, but i just find it peculiar that sometimes things are great, other times not. all in all, i've just found that certain areas have bitchier MAs, and certain stores have certain counters that have bitchier MAs as well.
it's weird though, that i seem to have better experiences at counters where i know they DON'T get paid on commission...anyone else notice this?

asnbrb

Quote:

smiles.gif

That goes for a lot of companies, not just MAC. If your manager doesn't "have your back" or is the support for the store, then it's basically you vs. the customer and if there's a dispute, you'll lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliedavis
I agree that not ALL M.A.'s are rude and obnoxious, but I have run into that problem more frequently in MAC than in other retail stores. I think the reason for this is partly due to the fact that, unlike many other retail experiences, you are somewhat unable to help yourself. Because you can not simply grab a shopping basket, make your selections, and make your way to the counter.... you must wait for one of the MA's (who are usually busy with a make-over or other people) to walk around the store with you to get your items. I realize tht the shopping experience is meant to be "personalized", but there are rarely enough MA's (in the local free-standing store) at any given time to help each person individually (and simultaneously). Therefore, we are impatient from waiting and the MA's are rushed.

They do need more staffing in the stores and whoever does scheduling for some of the counters/stores needs to take into consideration certain "rushes" (i.e. holidays, graduation season, prom season etc.) where more people will require more makeovers. Also, they need to see that the more that people receive bad service, the less that they will frequent the counter/store and get rid of any "bad MAs".
Others... well... it kind of reminds me of a higher-class retail store where you buy those purses (i.e. LV, Gucci, Coach) where they have the display out and you need to ask someone for the actual item.

patentg33k

The Best MA's

The best experiences I have w/MAC MA's are at the Pro stores. Most of the pro SA's not only sold products, they were patient and showed me how to apply it. Once I was able to get the hang of pigments (even the chunky ones!) I bought a LOT of them, and have done phone orders for more.

I've had great MAC store and dept. store service as well.

Overall, I think a good counter has people that listen--paying attention to someone w/o judging them. Also, I appreciate when someone saves me some time by telling me which products will or won't work for me, and how to use them.

Makeup is VERY personal and its very touchy to make comments about someone's face/ appearance. When an MA treats me like an intelligent, beautiful person, I more than make it worth their while in sales.

killbondnow

All I can say is, go to the Glendale (So Cal) store -- it's like party party party in there, always something like 10 MA/SAs ready to pounce on anyone, all shrieking "WELCOME!" the instant you walk past the threshold, good club tunes, vast arrays of testers -- and many MANY hot guys to assist you (including my ABC men...Adam, Ben, Corey/Carl...etc.). I judge all MAC standalones by Glendale, and the only one I've found even close is the Scottsdale AZ resort store. Berkeley CA completely ignored me, even with almost nobody else in store. Mission Viejo is nice.

Mary

MizMac

It breaks my heart when I hear of bad service some of my fellow mac addicts get!! I know my counter alot of the time is understaffed, it kills me that I can't give everyone more face to face time. The counter I came from had 18 of us, so there was alot of love for everyone. On the other hand I've had some mean people as well, when I got sick a year ago and had to wear a patch over my eye, I had a gal ask me "can you even do makeup if you can only see out of one eye??" Last weekend we had a lady have a huge fit at one of our gals because we didn't have time to do her makeup!! We are talking photoshoot makeup, on a saturday event day, at 8:30 at night. She even called our store manager the next day. So even us MAC ma's get our fair share of pain!! If you get treated badly let MAC know, but if you are treated amazing let MAC know. Alot of the times, MAC never hears the good side, only the bad. Just a few thoughts......

Wattage

I agree wholeheartedly, MizMac. I am a big believer in giving credit where credit is due. Although I feel that bad service should be brought to attention, so should good service.

Thank you for pointing that out!
winks.gif

LinzBelle

I have come across both nice and catty Mac people. I always get the size up as I approach the counter and a snide look though, probably because I'm fat. I may be fat but I work magic with the brushes. I'm beginning; have only two weddings and a couple makeovers under my belt.

They generally don't have to "work" for a sale because the brand is so popular, but they should be just as energetic as the perfume ladies. Which are so nice btw, they're usually older and old people are nice lol.
On that note, on my last MAC trip, I fell in love with Ferre by Gianfranco Ferre it's new and smells delicious, highly recommend it.

On the issue of not being served. The counter is usually packed where I go to (Arden Mall in Sacramento or Galleria in Roseville). So, you do kinda have to wait in line.

Just my 2 cents