Why can't we grow up and talk about things without hurt feelings?

athena123

Sorry if posts about "why was this thread deleted?" aren't allowed, but I noticed a particularly interesting thread in Deep Thoughts was removed over the weekend. Why can't a bunch of grown women discuss important topics without hurt feelings, name calling and ill will to the point where moderators have to delete a thread?

People from all walks of life participate in this forum; not everyone is going to agree with everything we read, see or hear. Why can't we at least have a little toleration for those who don't agree with us so we can learn even in the face of our dissent?

Why does it all have to be taken so freakin' personally?
nope.gif
I just don't understand.

Hilly

We can talk about anything here.
That thread had just gotten a little out of control and was removed by the discretion of the site mods.

NutMeg

I'm a little confused because I can't call the specific thread to mind... It's probably because there's so many that it's hard to pick out the one that's missing.

purrtykitty

I think that's her point, though. Too many read a thread, take it personally and then lash out. I understand topics get heated and all, but instead of getting all bent out of shape, I really wish people would post why so-and-so upsets them (without all the harsh language) - what their perspective is - so others can see both sides and make an informed decision. All I'm saying is there are better ways to get a divergent point across than stating someone doesn't know what they're talking about just because his/her opinion is different.

elegant-one

I repeated something word for word in the context of the subject of makeup mind you (extremely innocent too) that I MAC MUA said to me & got jumped all over by 2 people who took it completely out of context & turned it into something it was not. And, it was really a non-issue. WTH?

athena123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
We can talk about anything here.
That thread had just gotten a little out of control and was removed by the discretion of the site mods.

Um, obviously there are some things we can't talk about here, thank you for helping me make my point!
smiles.gif
Had everyone acted like the civilized grownups we are, an interesting discussion would not have been removed by the moderators. So now we ask, "Why did it get so out of control?" Because a bun fight resulted from people taking different opinions personally. Instead of taking issue with ideas, they took issue with the person behind the ideas.

I guess this was a rhetorical question, I'm prone to ask them at one time or another
th_dunno.gif

athena123

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
I repeated something word for word in the context of the subject of makeup mind you (extremely innocent too) that I MAC MUA said to me & got jumped all over by 2 people who took it completely out of context & turned it into something it was not. And, it was really a non-issue. WTH?

LOL, there are so many more important things to get upset about aren't there? I guess it's a lot easier to take things out of context on forums because we miss out on the tone, body language and expressions and have to rely only on the written word. [the sometimes misspelled written word BTW]
smiles.gif

goink

Also, it's much easier to 'attack' someone behind a computer screen. IRL, we are too timid to speak up at times against someone.

As my Latin professor said, "Winning an argument on internet only impresses grade fours."
winks.gif

MACATTAK

I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and feelings. However, just because you put "no offense" before a statement doesn't make it any less hurtful to someone who is dealing with it in a personal, everyday situation.

Hilly

I think a good reason as to why that thread got closed is because it deviated WAY off topic from what SparklingWaves had started. Multiple people tried to get it back to the topic to agree to disagree, yet people kept dragging the drama through the mud.

Hilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and feelings. However, just because you put "no offense" before a statement doesn't make it any less hurtful to someone who is dealing with it in a personal, everyday situation.

AMEN sista!!!

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
I think a good reason as to why that thread got closed is because it deviated WAY off topic from what SparklingWaves had started. Multiple people tried to get it back to the topic to agree to disagree, yet people kept dragging the drama through the mud.

I think that's not the reason the thread was closed or deleted.

SparklingWaves

The topic was & is extremely important.

I have seen threads that still exist and they have blunt attacks in them. So, this stunned me.

I don't know anyone that exists without the Censored topic. DAMN!

SparklingWaves

((((Very Upset))))) I got something in the mail today about that censored topic. DAMN!

Call me an ugly ignorant monkey's uncle. I don't give a care. It doesn't change the facts of what hitting my X. DAMN!

Hilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I think that's not the reason the thread was closed or deleted.

Ok fine, here is my extra two cents.

People were being ugly and being mindless of other peoples situations.

I am done with anything that has to do with that thread now. I said my thoughts, received plenty of grateful emails from people appreciating things I had said. That's plenty of satisfaction for me. If people want to jizz all over the place because they think they win fights on the internet, so be it.

Peace.

SparklingWaves

Due to the thread got pulled entirely and not locked, I took it that the topic was censored.

I was left in Specktra limbo. (scared)

I am still reading over this notice. I will say it again. DAMN!

Shimmer

Janice has already stated that there was no censoring of any topic.

I've stated that the speculation regarding the removal of the thread is by and large off base.

I really don't see what else there is to say on this subject.

If anyone feels as though s/he would like to revisit the budget topic, by all means, create a new thread on the subject.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
If anyone feels as though s/he would like to revisit the budget topic, by all means, create a new thread on the subject.

Absolutely!